Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulgraham

Gooseneck Trailer Length Recomendations

Thread from August 2008. http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry384836

Over a month ago I asked for your help in selecting the overall length for a gooseneck trailer and I received a "ton" of helpful input...well here she is now sitting next to the barn! ;) ....Its 11 ton and I decided on 28' (23+5). This trailer has LED lights, double jack 2-speed, powdercoat, low cut frame (extra $1,300) :huh: , electric-over hydraulic brakes. Its had the 1256 on it already.

Bought the trailer from BRECHBILL TRAILER out of St. Thomas PA. Thanks to you folks who helped me pick out the longer length, glad I added a few feet! :)

IMG_5360.jpg

IMG_5359.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

IMG_5361.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5363.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

Looks good Paul, that 14 of yours well look good on it.

Max

Sure looks good! I'd like to get a new trailer but if I got a new trailer, I would have to get a new truck to pull it, and if I got a new truck to pull it, I would have to get a new tractor to haul on it, and if I got a new tractor, then I would have to get........ well, you get the picture. I'd probably be divorced or dead by the end of the week! :D

Sharp looking trailer. What will you be using to pull it with?

Dale

Hey Dale, thanks for the comment. I am going to use my 3/4ton GMC w/6spd Allison and "Duramax" diesel, single wheel axle. Might think about a dual wheel setup later on, but so far so good.

A topic of considerable debate on this website has been truck capacity :unsure: ...single wheel axle vs. dual wheels (1 ton). thx Paul

Sharp looking trailer. What will you be using to pull it with?

Dale

Hey Dale, thanks for the comment. I am going to use my 3/4ton GMC w/6spd Allison and "Duramax" diesel, single wheel axle. Might think about a dual wheel setup later on, but so far so good.

A topic of considerable debate on this website has been truck capacity :unsure: ...single wheel axle vs. dual wheels (1 ton). thx Paul

That setup around here will get your a** nailed real quick. they really like to get guys pulling big trailer like that with little 3/4 tonners. its a dead given that they are always over on their GCWR.

im the other way. i pull a trailer with single behind a 350 dually. i never have been looked at :P

In the close up shot of the wheel, is it missing a valve stem cap? If so, replace it. You don't to get dirt in the valve & cause a leak.

Great looking trailer.

I would be concerned however about overloading your truck.

That is a lot of trailer and it would be very easy to put a whole lot more junk and plunder on that trailer than what your truck is designed to safely pull down the road.

As I stated before, your truck has plenty of go. I am concerned about the whoa factor.

IMO; you should always have more than enough truck for what ever your doing. until you have a semi and/or a 2ton truck it's hard to understand. i believe these trailers are for 1-1/2ton trucks minimum. a trailer like this wieghing @ 6500# i would only haul @ 11,000# on the deck w/ the 1-1/2ton max. in order to haul a max load on most of these trailers you would need a moderate 2ton syle truck, ie. medium duty.

Nothing wrong with buying a trailer that can handle more than the truck is rated for, as long as you are careful and limit how much you put on the trailer. Certainly you're not going to be towing this loaded to 25K lbs with a 3/4 ton truck...

If you're going to be on the road with it, make sure your truck is registered for the maximum GVW you can register it for in your state. On a 3/4 ton, that's probably the combined axle ratings, or about 10,500lbs.

Also make sure there are no silly "dually trailer must be towed by dually truck" laws in your state, as there are in some (more specifically, the individual axle ratings on the trailer cannot exceed the rear axle rating on the truck).

CYA so when they pull you over you've got a snowball's chance of not getting a ticket.

Nothing wrong with buying a trailer that can handle more than the truck is rated for, as long as you are careful and limit how much you put on the trailer. Certainly you're not going to be towing this loaded to 25K lbs with a 3/4 ton truck...

If you're going to be on the road with it, make sure your truck is registered for the maximum GVW you can register it for in your state. On a 3/4 ton, that's probably the combined axle ratings, or about 10,500lbs.

Also make sure there are no silly "dually trailer must be towed by dually truck" laws in your state, as there are in some (more specifically, the individual axle ratings on the trailer cannot exceed the rear axle rating on the truck).

CYA so when they pull you over you've got a snowball's chance of not getting a ticket.

Like Illinios..

Nice trailer :) , I wouldn't be scared to use the 3/4 ton on it. Thats what I have and I pull s 28 ft. before and I've never had any problems.

That truck will handle anything you can put on the trailer with ease. I've had 24K of big round bales on a 33' spread tandem dually and i set my cruise at 65MPH. I've also had our 6588 on the same trailer and it didn't phase it. Just got to know how to load things correctly. Make darn sure your tires have about 75PSI on the pickup and fly with it. We were looking at trailers a while back and were going to get at least a 32' but decided to leave it for another year. By then i will probably have a dually and go with a 34-36'. VERY nice trailer. You'll love it :wub:

That truck will handle anything you can put on the trailer with ease. I've had 24K of big round bales on a 33' spread tandem dually and i set my cruise at 65MPH. I've also had our 6588 on the same trailer and it didn't phase it. Just got to know how to load things correctly. Make darn sure your tires have about 75PSI on the pickup and fly with it. We were looking at trailers a while back and were going to get at least a 32' but decided to leave it for another year. By then i will probably have a dually and go with a 34-36'. VERY nice trailer. You'll love it :wub:

With the HP of todays pickup trucks be it a 3/4 or 1 Ton acceleration is never the problem. However the stoping is.

I have seen people pulling 35+5' PJ trailers behind 2500 Chevy's before. I wouldn't do it on our hills. Just looks like the tail would be waging the dog... 28 foot might not be too bad depending on how you load it.

Just looks like the tail would be waging the dog...

no doubt. it amazes me the stupidy of some people thinking you can tow 20K+ with a 3/4 ton (or even a one ton) pickup :rolleyes:

Just looks like the tail would be waging the dog...

no doubt. it amazes me the stupidy of some people thinking you can tow 20K+ with a 3/4 ton (or even a one ton) pickup :rolleyes:

The guy who delivered our baler had a Oliver 1950 (I think) on the trailer too. Great Bend Loader, cab, weights ect. And a Vermeer 605K on the back. All on a hyd. tail PJ trailer behind a one ton Dodge. THAT was a load!! (All the way from Kansas!!):ph34r: