Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TxFarmallFan

What do you know about David Brown tractors?

17 posts in this topic

I know they arent IH, but kind of under the corporate umbrella of today, I suppose. Anyway, my good friend bought one about 3 years ago. Paid way too much for it, now his hydraulics and 3 point dont work. Looks like the pump went out, and kept trying to engage, stripping out the gears(according to his wrenches' diagnosis). Looks like his total repair would be near $1,700. Most of that labor, of course. I have the facilities and knowledge to fix it, just not sure I could get a return on my $$$ for the time and hassle involved. He told me he would take $1,500 as is. Ive given thought to it, but it seems there isnt a market for them around here. Is there anywhere? Sorry to be so long winded.

We have a case 1210 David Brown. We bought it back in '91 when we bought the farm. Tractor was purchased with 1500 hours or so. Tractor now has 3800 hours, not alot my todays standards but it is tough as nails. Every one here (me-parents) says, we don't like the tractor, but if we think about it is has been the most trouble tree, and abused tractor on the farm for the last 18 years and still going strong.

Aaron

806onblower.jpg

Onthefarm218.jpg

I have seen a number of David Brown tractors that were relatively trouble free until about the 7000 hour mark and then everything wore out more or less at once. There used to be lots of them around here but only a few left now.

Not sure of the hours on this, but very low, I assume. Its very clean, purchased from the original owner.

I have a DB 1212 for the last 20 years. I think it is a 74 model. It has been abused, has sat outside the whole time, and up until the Alternator (a Lucas) went out of it last week in a blackberry patch it has been trouble free. I'll fix it and keep it for many more years.

They are tough.

Dave

Some oldtimers are still earning their keep. :o A PM your way for some info. :)

mike

post-12-1218772570_thumb.jpg

what model is it?

25,50D,50TD,770,775,880,885,900,990,995,996,1200,1210,1410,1190,1290,1390,1490,1

implematic?....auto shift?

most parts are available through CIH, or SPAREX or Vapourmatic, or BARECO, etc.....its only the cosmetic bits you will have trouble finding

david brown still exists, building power transmission systems, .......thats what they started doing, transmissions, they built the power shift in the agco's in the 9600 series in the 90's...........the MAXXUM was DB's last development project, that transmission in the maxxum was the DB P100 trans

all jokes aside, DB weren't a bad machine

Go over to the Case board on YT and try to roust up Elmer from Ontario. He's the go to guy on David Brown stuff.

Thanks for the help guys. I looked it over at lunch time, doesnt look like its going to be that difficult to fix. Machine only has 4K hours.

Looks like Im going to pass on it. Was told that most anyone that new anything about DB machines knew enough to stay away from them.

Dont know if its true or not, but enough to persude me not to risk it.

Think I'll just stay with what I know, the pure red stuff!

David Brown=GARBAGE!!!!!!!

When Case started to import those tractors I worked at a Case dealership. After going to the mechanics school for them we all KNEW that they were poorly designed, poorly manufactured and used substandard components. IMHO The transmission was the most problematic followed by the hydraulic system. The Lucas (prince of darkness) electrical system is a haphazard mess of poorly made bits and pieces thrown together. Power Steering system on most of the models was never make to last more than a few years.

Other than those few things they were a great little tractor. :lol:

When Case started to import those tractors I worked at a Case dealership. After going to the mechanics school for them we all KNEW that they were poorly designed, poorly manufactured and used substandard components. IMHO The transmission was the most problematic followed by the hydraulic system. The Lucas (prince of darkness) electrical system is a haphazard mess of poorly made bits and pieces thrown together. Power Steering system on most of the models was never make to last more than a few years.

Yup, thats what I was told by several professional wrenches.

I disagree,when I was growing up,there were thousands of them ,in New zealand and Australia,and they did a lot of work.A lot of problems arise with the Nth American "thing" of sticking great big loaders on small agricultural tractors ,and wondering why they crap themselves(even W6,s etc do that with loaders).David brown have a long history of manufactuing;they built the first Ferguson ,also made transmissions for lots of other people including some prewar racing cars.Initially ,they were a gear builder prior to manufacturing tractors.If you worked for another ,manufacturer,obviously you will be biased against another product,but just because you went to a mechanics school,doesn,t make you an "expert" on a product you nver saw before.I did my appreticeship on Ford tractors ,but l still like IH and lots of others and recognize none of them are perfect!You are right about Lucas electrics though,We fixed lots of that crap!

David Brown obviously had enough following that CaseIH kept building them alongside of the 85 series with several being close in power i.e 685/1394 885/1494 etc.

There are a few farms around here that were all David Brown and there are still quite a few running the old 885's, 995's, 1210's etc. etc. with a few 90 and 94 series around.

My opinion is the IH design tractor was superior to the David Brown design tractor hence the Doncaster plant kpet it's line right up until divesting by CaseNH to Argo. David Brown did have the "hydra-shift" 4-speed power shift, which the 85 series did not have. The Maxxum's effective replaced the remaining 94 series David Brown based Cases.

I'm not going to tell my 1212 that I've put a few thousand hours on the last 20 years what you fellows have said about his ancestry. I've put all of $1600.00 and some change in it in those 20 years. :D This ole tractor don't owe me a thing.

I wonder why the Amish take all of them they can get? :unsure:

Lucas and smoke go together :P

Dave

..can't have been all bad...some of them are over fifty years old and still working....I guess, for the great unwashed, them not been made in the United States was a mark against them...the transmission and hydralics were their best features....some diesel motors gave minor head gasket problems...tha addition of "Case " into the equation gave them some styling changes...but little else...

post-157-1218967496_thumb.jpg

...and if you happen to own one of these models..it's value rivals all but the rarest green high clear tractors....

Mike