Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red_reaper

chainsaw wont run sideways

19 posts in this topic

Have a old super low hr. Homelite 2 chain saw, still has the original bar that looks like new. I've used it for odd small stuff for years, and has allways ran good but not much power. as to be expected for such a little chain saw. Its very handy and light weight. I set 21 wooden posts made from old telephone poles. I was going to saw them off even and discovered the chain saw wont run when you turn it on its side, just runs out of power and stalls. I filled the gas up to the top and still did it. Any ideas I can try? I hate to use my other homelite super XL12, the old blue model, when on its side what muffler it has is right in your face and very loud, plus its heavy and has a too long a bar for what I'm doing,and I'm doing it at eye level, so the smaller ones easier to keep from cutting my head off.

Not familiar with that saw but only thing that comes to mind is if it has a small line inside the tank that is broke or even cracked. Not sure on shape of tank but even full when filling might still have an air cavity when turned sideways.

Not familiar with that saw but only thing that comes to mind is if it has a small line inside the tank that is broke or even cracked. Not sure on shape of tank but even full when filling might still have an air cavity when turned sideways.

Hello all , Kinda what I was thinking . I have a leaf blower that the line rotted off inside the tank :angry: . Runs good about any direction except pointed at the ground to work . Boomer

Hello all , Kinda what I was thinking . I have a leaf blower that the line rotted off inside the tank :angry: . Runs good about any direction except pointed at the ground to work . Boomer

LMAO :lol::lol: kinda how htings work around here

more than likeley the fuel line issue is what you have, or the fact its a homelite :blush:

Reaper,

I would look at two things.

1) As the others have stated, check the gas lines. There may be a crack in the lines allowing air to get into the system. Since you stated that you have filled the tank and it still acts up, the leak may be in the part of the line not in the tank.

2) Another problem that I would check are the diaphragms in the carburetor. These serve as a fuel pump which in turn allows the saws to be operated at many angles. Over time, these become hard, brittle, and succeptible to cracking probibiting the transfer of fuel to the cylinder when you go to make a cut.

Hope this helps.

JTF

I agree with these guys, it's probably sucking air. Also keep in mind that this older saw might not like the the alcohol in the gas that we have now and that may have damaged the plastic fuel line by making it brittle.

What ever you do don't junk that saw. Believe it or not some people COLLECT chainsaws.....just like tractors!

:P

Jamesthomas, that might make sense that the crack is on the outside of the tank,whowever its not leaking, cause if the crack was on the inside it would at least run on its side flipped over one way,and maybe not the other,but this is both ways. It just pulls down to a idle and the chain stops just like the chain is too tight. I'll pull the case apart to see what those lines are like. I just had it off the other day to repair the rope that I pulled out of it from it not starting and me going wild pulling that rope, too bad you cant hook a chain up to them and pull start them like a tractor, sometimes you need to. Next chainsaw will be a stihl

redgreen, dont worry I will not junk this saw, its too handy and just like new. The Super XL12 I have also still had the original bar on it when I got it. I put a new one on a few years back but it also is like new, just wish it had the automatic oiler. That thing has gobbs of power,and the only two complaints I have on it is the manual oiler and that super loud exhaust. I believe those old blue homelites are starting to become more collectable. We have a old Pioneer chainsaw setting in the corner, its bright yellow. I could never get it to run though.

Next chainsaw will be a stihl

Dad's got a Stihl farmoss that hasn't had two tanks of gas run through it I'll trade for your pressure washer. :ph34r: .

What ever you do don't junk that saw. Believe it or not some people COLLECT chainsaws.....just like tractors!

:P

That is for sure..........unfortunately I seem to have become one of them :blush: I started out with an 031 that I picked up for 20 bucks, ran like a champ, used it for a couple of years til it gave me some trouble about not wanting to stay running. Took it in to see if it was beyond hope, compression still seemed good. I got it back at the same time they were having a sale on Stihl, so I was going to replace it if it wasn't worth fixing or buy a smaller saw that would be newer and handier (Mini Boss) (as well as something of a backup due to the age of the 031) The 031 only took fuel lines and carb diaphrams, used it to make two cuts and it went back to doing what it did before, took it back and ended up getting a 390 because I was into a job that was going to be a real challenge to make it through with the 031 (told the guy that "I guess if I buy enough Stihl saws, I might get the job done." I got the 031 back but haven't used it to see if it will still go. The 390 is awsome :D

So I went from having one Stihl to having three :blush:

Jamesthomas, that might make sense that the crack is on the outside of the tank,whowever its not leaking, cause if the crack was on the inside it would at least run on its side flipped over one way,and maybe not the other,but this is both ways. It just pulls down to a idle and the chain stops just like the chain is too tight. I'll pull the case apart to see what those lines are like. I just had it off the other day to repair the rope that I pulled out of it from it not starting and me going wild pulling that rope, too bad you cant hook a chain up to them and pull start them like a tractor, sometimes you need to. Next chainsaw will be a stihl

redgreen, dont worry I will not junk this saw, its too handy and just like new. The Super XL12 I have also still had the original bar on it when I got it. I put a new one on a few years back but it also is like new, just wish it had the automatic oiler. That thing has gobbs of power,and the only two complaints I have on it is the manual oiler and that super loud exhaust. I believe those old blue homelites are starting to become more collectable. We have a old Pioneer chainsaw setting in the corner, its bright yellow. I could never get it to run though.

I'm not positive on this, but I think the Super XL had both a manual oiler and an automatic oiler. We had one, I'm almost positive it oiled on it's own.

l8r

The first ones were manual, then later came the automatic oilers, both blue in color, then the red super XL's were all automatic. I'd say the blue ones were the most sold saws in this area years ago.

The first ones were manual, then later came the automatic oilers, both blue in color, then the red super XL's were all automatic. I'd say the blue ones were the most sold saws in this area years ago.

Ours was blue. So did some have both manual and auto oilers? I think ours did, I can ask my brother he still has it.

Dad has a Homelite XL12, all red in color, and yet it has the manual oiler button at the top. That old sucker has seen a LOT of wood cutting over the years. Its pretty well retired, with the 029 & 290 Sthil's. Brother did fire up the old Homelite a while back. Dad couldn't believe it even started! Godawful loud, and its a fire hazard throwing flames out the exhaust! :lol: Grandpa had a blue XL12, no idea what ever became of that one.

I had a red homelite but im not even sure of the model, but no auto oiler. was a nice saw tho, gutsy for its size.

does anyone else think this new safety chain sucks? I like a Super Chisel myself :D

well I stand corrected on the red saws, I allways thought the early blue ones had manuals and the newer models had the newfangled automatic oiler.Never seen a red one that was manual. I've never heard of any having both though. The manual oiler sucks, just about the time you forget about oiling it, the chain gets hot and tight.

Here's a manual oiler red saw on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOMELITE-XL12-CHAINSAW...Q2em118Q2el1247

well you may be right on the double oilers, here's a automatic I just found on ebay that looks to have the manual plunger too,learn something every day!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-Super-XL-chai...1QQcmdZViewItem

well you may be right on the double oilers, here's a automatic I just found on ebay that looks to have the manual plunger too,learn something every day!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Homelite-Super-XL-chai...1QQcmdZViewItem

Kristin, I have one of the same models, with both manual and automatic. The manual oiler is there as a booster, in tough cutting conditions. It's in good shape and hasn't been used much at all. My grandpa bought it new around 1977. It hasn't been started in years. When I need a 20" bar on a saw, I reach for my Stihl MS290.

well I stand corrected on the red saws, I allways thought the early blue ones had manuals and the newer models had the newfangled automatic oiler.Never seen a red one that was manual. I've never heard of any having both though. The manual oiler sucks, just about the time you forget about oiling it, the chain gets hot and tight.

First saw I bought was a Homelite Spuer EZ, red in color. It has an automatic oiler but also has a manual plunger to give it extra oil if desired. From the day it was new it never would run right on it's side. Dealer worked on it a couple times but never could solve the problem.

I have a Stihl 039 which has been a good saw. After I bought it the Super EZ got regulated to cutting up limbs. Compared to the 039 the chain on the Super EZ looked like you were cranking it by hand. WE went back to the Stihl dealer 3 or 4 years ago to buy a smaller Sthil for trimming & such only to find that they had switched to Echo. Seems that Stihl took all their franchises away from the small dealers in this area & gave them to a chain farm store. We ended up buying an Echo 4400 but it's not the saw the Stihl is.

The first Ebay ad you posted, Kristin, that's exactly like what Dad has. Only Dad's looks like its been used a LOT more! :D

Still run "Ole Blues" and Super XL's here...........We got a red XL with a manual oiler only as well. Heck, me and my brother cut for years with manual oiler only saws. I remember when we got the first Super XL with the automatic! We thought we had a dream machine :lol::lol::lol:

Now we got Husky's and Mac's beside, but I still rather run a Super XL, we run Sten's brand chain as we're a former dealer and that old thing will cut with any new one. Just way more noise and vibration doing it.