Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turbo_1066

900 Case IH planters

5 posts in this topic

Well in the last couple of years I have worked to weed out all of our green equipment. I just traded the John Deere combine off last week. Now I have found a Case IH 900 planter that is a 12 row 30". It has residue manager and no fertilize which is fine. It also has a kelderman fold system on it. I need to know if a 1066 will handle that planter ok in the hills. I also need to know about no-tilling with these planters, I was told you do not need any no-till coulters with a red planter. So any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Keith

The 1066 should pull it fine; you might want to be dualed-up if it's slippery. As far as the coulters, I'm no help on that one.

-J

Just finished no-tilling a couple hundred acres with an 800 with rowcleaners and no coulters and the row cleaners are really optional. I actually like the row cleaners better in rough conventional till over no-till. Never seen a Keldermann fold on a 12 row. Used to be several 8 rows around, though.

Just finished no-tilling a couple hundred acres with an 800 with rowcleaners and no coulters and the row cleaners are really optional. I actually like the row cleaners better in rough conventional till over no-till. Never seen a Keldermann fold on a 12 row. Used to be several 8 rows around, though.

I have a 800 12-30 with yetter row cleaners and it does a good job in no-til. I also built a 13-15" bean planter that has yetter no-til coulters on it. I no-til most of my beans so that is the reason for the no-til coulters. I don't think you need them but I do think it will make your double disc openers last 3 times as long as they are always in loose dirt and not doing all the work on cutting the hard soil.

The 10 should pull it just fine, with or without duals, unless your ground is really rolling, then put the duals on. I dont use coulters because they throw dirt, I have used my row cleaners 1 out of the last 5 years becaus if it gets hairy they just ball up causing problems. I use spikey closeing weels to work a litte strip of dirt over the row, rebounders to tuck the seed in the bottom of the trench, and put the molding between the rows of hole on the drum so it turns smooth. Check all your chains and bearings, make shure the bearing is good in the wheel that runs inside the drum, check the brush, shoot for medium-round seed, check the firming points and seed shoes and keep it around 4 to 5 mph and you will be fine. I no-till 99% and it does great.