Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red_reaper

Who's gonna get washed and blown away tonight and tomorrow?

We've had some pretty spectacular lightning shows here this evening, and lots of rotating clouds but so far not much action. It's sprinkled here a little so far, but I'd say we are in line for another monsoon here in the next few hours. We spent most of the day opening up more ground, and Dad got 80 acres planted this evening. We decided against replanting our milo today, and with the looks of things, probably did the right thing by waiting it out. That being said, most of what we worked today will be a total slop mess if it gets a pounding rain, so it may be yet another day of wasted time, fuel, and money. There's been a LOT of those on the Latchford farm this spring.

Bill

Getting a good lightning show up Latchford and Kristen's way. It poured here this afternoon for about 2 minutes but didn't amount to anything. I spent this afternoon setting up my nurse tank and chemicals in an old van trailer. With the way the weather has been, I decided I didn't want chemical jugs sitting on an open trailer. Maybe we can miss this tonight, but it don't look real promising.

Almost 4" since Friday evening :( Had a downpour at noon today & lot's of lightning & thunder as I type. Doesn't look good for the rest of the week :(

We have about 125 ac of beans left to plant. Will have to see how we're going to have to replant but the river is backout so that's almost 80 ac of corn gone :(

It just doesn't want to stop!

Ugly storms here last night,... rotating cells,... downpouring rain,...

...didn't settle down until about midnight.

With reaper,... if the lottery would give me this kind of 30%,... I'd share the love! :lol:

Just got power back bad storms here all day yesterday ,our power went out about 9:30 am tue morning about 10 minutes after power failed the rain came in sideways just like a hurricane for about 15 minutes .All in all about 8" of rain here in last 24 hours tornados hi winds county hauled about 15 tandem loads of dirt west of here yesterday to patch up the road west of me .Looks like RPRU will be on hold as I spent my travelin money on sump pump and generator rental + about 60.00 worth of gas to keep the basement dry and several hundred worth of food and meat from thawing .Water was coming in so fast tue that one pump could not keep up at my house and I am on the hi ground ,$2-500,000.00 homes just east of me had corn stalks pilled up about 12" deep against there homes and and garage doors from one of my bosses corn fields. all in asll it's a mess .I am now heading for bed since I have had a 1 hour nap since 4am yesterday .for more local news about our little typhoon log onto

www.sj-r.com

and see the messes .later

Wow, we got off easy, about .2" of rain overnight and no wind that I heard. Still plenty.

Chad.

Starting to rain here again this morning, a new cell has formed and headed east over me, soon to get Latchford,and on to Ted's. At this point in time, I am starting to HOPE I cannot go to the roundup because I'm in the field.

We got another fine blast last night. Tornado sirens went off, but never heard the train. Monsoon rain. No gauge, but surely another couple of inches. Cow on the flat rock again, with straight wind. Our daily dose.

What I'd like to know, is why do they give 30% chance of rain anymore? its allways 100% we havent missed a 20% chance yet.

SH!T, they give us a 70% chance of thunderstorms and heavy rain, instead we get sunshine, low humidity and 25 mile an hour winds. We are drying up and blowing away, I don't know where my beans got the moisture to sprout much less come up, my wheat is sure not looking good either, no rain for weeks on end doesn't make grain.

What I'd like to know, is why do they give 30% chance of rain anymore? its allways 100% we havent missed a 20% chance yet.

SH!T, they give us a 70% chance of thunderstorms and heavy rain, instead we get sunshine, low humidity and 25 mile an hour winds. We are drying up and blowing away, I don't know where my beans got the moisture to sprout much less come up, my wheat is sure not looking good either, no rain for weeks on end doesn't make grain.

Same thing here pretty much. The rain is over for the year and the drought has started. We've actually ran out of moisture for the last few hundred acres of beans. One 150 acre field is under a pivot so I can water them up but another 100 acre field is just gonna have to wait.

On the other hand the combines should be here Friday and I will be cutting a wheat sample by Friday afternoon if all goes well.

80% Chance of heavy rain the next 3 days here in SE ND. We are already saturated with 2+ inches.

...a new cell has formed and headed east over me, soon to get Latchford,and on to Ted's.

Ahh, say it ain't so!

Talked to the ag man at coffee this morning:...

...maybe, maybe 10% of the corn has been planted in Pike County. Maybe.

We are sitting on the brink of disaster!

At this point in time, I am starting to HOPE I cannot go to the roundup because I'm in the field.

I hate to tell you this, but it looks like you're going to get a chance to go because it's probably still going to be too wet to farm by then if things go the way the forecast in our area looks. Rain all day today, no rain tomorrow, rain Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Don't know what Wednesday will bring, and Thursday the Roundup begins.

Sorry to rain on your parade.(no pun intended)

We bought a new Phillips harrow in a panic mode from Will Bier a week ago today, and have been running it ahead of the planters on the no-till bean ground. It's been helping to air it out so we can get across it with the planters, but were still slotting the seed in in a lot of places. Rain in the forecast everyday for as long as the forecast runs now. We aren't ones to sit on our "assets" and wait for things to be perfect, so we may pay the price. Worst thing with all this replanting going on, the bean seed supply is going to run out VERY soon.

On the bright side, other than the corn we had to replant, the corn is up and looks fairly decent, considering the condition in which it went in the ground.

Have you thought about trying some spiked closing wheels on your Kinze planter? We run two Martin wheels per row on our planter and they make a world of difference in wet ground but where you work most of your ground one Dawn Curvtine II wheel would probably make a big difference without changing the whole planter over. I'm glad to hear the harrow is working, it's one of those things you don't want to try but in a year like this it's worth doing anything that might help even a little bit.

We turned one field in as preventative plant yesterday but after June 25th we can still collect half that money and plant beans into it with reduced insurance coverage if it ever dries out.

Went to look at some fields that I thought I might spray today or tommorrow. Water standing everywhere, even on the hillsides. Never seen it quite this saturated. Don't think I could get a planter unit across it, let alone slot it in. Only good news is that the only weed that is really there is little barley, and it's pretty much done what it's gonna do. Guess I'll save my money for now and try to find something else to screw up.

Chad

post-698-1212607961_thumb.jpgpost-698-1212607986_thumb.jpg

Woke up to this. 3.2 inches Monday night and 2.7 Tuesday night. We are 30 miles south of Champaign Il on I 57. Our corn in the area was just starting to take off with the heat. Now I hope it stays cool a couple days. Still have 120 acres of beans to go. All are no till and I hope they dry faster than they did earlier when it was cool. All chiseled stalks were done 10 days ago but the notill WOULD NOT :angry: dry on the higher ground. When I did get to go Monday 2 u bolts broke on the wing lift wheel first thing after filling drill and had to drive 50 miles to Casey to get parts. Planted till 10:45 pm and rain started two hous later. Rolling ground maybe they will come.

Took raod trip to Des Moines Sunday and got back Monday at noon. Took son up to start his first full time job. Went across from I 74 at Galesburg through Farifield Ia and went on farther west and angled up to West Des Moines. I know Cliff lives near Fairfield but who else in that area. Came back the faster route I 80 to I 74. Saw a lot of crops and I know I wasn't in the absolute worst areas but top end is definatly gone from corn. Too many uneven and thin areas.

Son started Crop insurance job after graduating from Illinios State this spring. Was in office for one day and was sent to Southern Ill next day. Heads to Kansas next Monday for two weeks. He was in Kansas last year as an intern last summer.

Lots of beans remain to be planted around here.Some corn looks good and some looks poor.Its way behind where it should be.

A bad storm hit the north side of the county Monday noon doing much damage with 80 mph winds and large hail.Some had 1-2" of rain.A guy I work with had lots of damage to his house and his hay crop.

Then last night just before midnite a fast moving storm from south central Kansas brought 50-80 mph winds over the entire county taking over numerous trees-etc.We were without power until sunrise.My buildings all stood it but I was sweating it.We got very little rain with it but the south side of Kansas City had 5" plus.

We need 10 days with no rain but have a real good chance of more tomorrow night and Friday.It may be severe.

Well we finally got what you guys in Missouri have been talking about. yesterday and today . strong winds heavy rain lots of damage. All river bottoms will be wiped out by weeks end. too late to replant corn. dont know if we can get any more beans. hate to think about milo. i wonder when the markets going to realize theres not going to be any record yields this yr.

post-698-1212607961_thumb.jpgpost-698-1212607986_thumb.jpg

Woke up to this. 3.2 inches Monday night and 2.7 Tuesday night. We are 30 miles south of Champaign Il on I 57. Our corn in the area was just starting to take off with the heat. Now I hope it stays cool a couple days. Still have 120 acres of beans to go. All are no till and I hope they dry faster than they did earlier when it was cool. All chiseled stalks were done 10 days ago but the notill WOULD NOT :angry: dry on the higher ground. When I did get to go Monday 2 u bolts broke on the wing lift wheel first thing after filling drill and had to drive 50 miles to Casey to get parts. Planted till 10:45 pm and rain started two hous later. Rolling ground maybe they will come.

Took raod trip to Des Moines Sunday and got back Monday at noon. Took son up to start his first full time job. Went across from I 74 at Galesburg through Farifield Ia and went on farther west and angled up to West Des Moines. I know Cliff lives near Fairfield but who else in that area. Came back the faster route I 80 to I 74. Saw a lot of crops and I know I wasn't in the absolute worst areas but top end is definatly gone from corn. Too many uneven and thin areas.

Son started Crop insurance job after graduating from Illinios State this spring. Was in office for one day and was sent to Southern Ill next day. Heads to Kansas next Monday for two weeks. He was in Kansas last year as an intern last summer.

Thats what it looks like over here ,just be glad you don't have any bottoms near the sangamon or kaskaskia river the bottoms look like lake michigan

We drove to Ames Iowa today to get sprayer parts. I thought we were wet here but nothing like it is up in there. Des Moine river was bank full and looked like it was over the banks in places. Lots of drowned corn and beans. The guy at Heartland Ag said some places had 7 inches in one afternoon up there. Looks like this thing is pretty wide spread.

Dad and I were talking about the markets on the way there today also. I said the same thing as 06man that the market should be reflecting this weather but then again futures are at a record high so how do we know the weather isnt a contributor to that? If it doesnt rain tonight I think we can run beans all day tomorrow and then all we will have left is 45 acres of swamp that may never dry out in time for the insurance deadline.

Just heard on the news that southern Iowa is getting pounded right now. Tornados, hail, 100mph wind, rain. Said the little town of Afton and Nodaway were going to get hit with tornados. We came thru there about two hours ago. Glad we didnt stay long!!

We drove to Ames Iowa today to get sprayer parts. I thought we were wet here but nothing like it is up in there. Des Moine river was bank full and looked like it was over the banks in places. Lots of drowned corn and beans. The guy at Heartland Ag said some places had 7 inches in one afternoon up there. Looks like this thing is pretty wide spread.

Dad and I were talking about the markets on the way there today also. I said the same thing as 06man that the market should be reflecting this weather but then again futures are at a record high so how do we know the weather isnt a contributor to that? If it doesnt rain tonight I think we can run beans all day tomorrow and then all we will have left is 45 acres of swamp that may never dry out in time for the insurance deadline.

Just heard on the news that southern Iowa is getting pounded right now. Tornados, hail, 100mph wind, rain. Said the little town of Afton and Nodaway were going to get hit with tornados. We came thru there about two hours ago. Glad we didnt stay long!!

I just can't wait :wacko:

Here is a bit of news I copied from weather.com when is this going to end??? how many of you are in the path of this?

Major severe weather event looms

Lead Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

7:29 p.m. ET 6/4/2008

Midwest | View Regional Video

Cloudbursts and thunderstorms will rake across much of the Great Plains and Upper Midwest Thursday/Thursday night as an elongated north-south storm system sprawls over the Plains.

The storm may, in fact, lead to a major severe weather event: a few dangerous long-track tornadoes--as well as thunderstorms packing powerful wind gusts--are likely to smash through portions of Kansas, Nebraska, far southeast South Dakota, northern and western Iowa, northwest Missouri and extreme southern Minnesota.

On the flip side of the weather coin, areas from eastern Missouri into the mid-Ohio Valley and in northwest North Dakota are likely to see no rain at all.

Gusty winds will whip over the Plains and western Midwest.

High temperatures will display a broad range, from the 50s in rainy western South Dakota to the 90s in the humid mid-Mississippi and Ohio Valle

The crop insurance guys won't be lacking for work, the way things are going...

Supposed to be 90 here tomorrow, with all this humidity, there is plenty of moisture to activate more storms. I just came home from my daughters ballgame, and 2 miles south of me they are planting and dust flying, Here at my house and all my fields have water standing. Now that makes you mad, to see your neighbor going like mad in the fields, while yours is saturated and need another week before you can even get in them. not mad at them, just mad at mother nature. had to come in the house so I couldnt hear them running.

Steiger, thats the furthest along corn I've seen yet. Hate to see all that water on it though. Maybe it'll go down quick.

we just got hit hard tonight. 2 to 3 inches of rain and some golf ball size hail.