Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

red_reaper

Who's gonna get washed and blown away tonight and tomorrow?

This rain crap is getting really old, cant get but one day in the field without it raining. Just open up a field and it has to air out for at least 24hrs before I can mulch the boulders down with the cultipacker before planting,and so far I cant even get that done. I opened up another 100 acres several days ago, and its starting to dry out enough to run the cultipacker this afternoon, but they are calling for rain likely tomorrow, so what the he11 does a person do? mulch it and take the chance of having to work it all again? Calling for rain all dang week long now. Some of the corn thats planted in the low areas, rotted in the ground,and will have to be replanted in places,but its too wet to fill in. Dad doesnt have any beans in the ground,and probably just a little over 2000-2500 acres to get in yet. I've got about 250 acres of beans left, Got about a 150 acres of beans in thats coming up and looking good where I ran the mulcher.

We are in the same boat, the last time we were in the field we had less than a day and even then it was wet enough we had to plant around some terrace channels. We are working some tiled ground (the last of our tiled ground left to plant) so we can plant some beans tomorrow but it's supposed to rain tomorrow night and several days later this week. The local BTO is supposed to have 3,000 acres of corn left to plant and 4,000 acres of beans so our 160 acres of corn and 450 of beans doesn't look too bad I guess.

Boy I'd think this year planting wise, it'd really be putting the squeeze on the BTO's. But I bet it doesnt slow them down any. You'd think it'd make some of them step back and take another look at what they are trying to accomplish, wheather it be EGO or profit. Just think of all the big purchases made over the last year, thinking its easy sailing this year with decent prices.

So here I am sitting in a motel in Broken Bow Nebraska with tornado warnings for Custer county flashing on the TV.

Saw some tornado damage around Kearney NE today and a lot of heavy washing of the newly planted corn fields. Corn in spme places is up about 6".

Heading out for Alliancs NE and then up to MT Rushmore.

We're down to 450 or so acres of beans to plant and around 50 acres of newly leveled rice land.

I should knock a big dent in all of that tomorrow if it goes as planned. We've got a 155 acre field that is about 10 miles away from everything else so it'll take a good while to move everything down there. Thats the only field that hasn't been touched since last year. Still has standing milo stalks on it.

we got hit by an f-2 tornado friday morning about 5 o clock. took out the 40x70 machine shed, 2 30x72 hoop sheds, the roofs on both silos and nearly knocked one down. it has a big crack in it now. LOTS of little outbuildings gone. 2 12x 24 wooden grainerys gone. it jammed a 2x4 in between the hood sheets of the 966 and dented up the hood pretty good. lots of good neighbors showed up to help clean up.

Sorry to here of the damage, glad no one was hurt!! where were you hiding?

i was at home in bed. the damage was at the home place where mom lives yet. we didnt have any damage here where i live but we should have. it just missed us by a 1/4 mile then went a little north and mostly east and got the farm. it threw a limb through moms bedroom window and put glass all over her bed. by the time she got up and down the steps it was over. a little town called attica west of us got it first, the same storm, id say. its a total mess. nearly every home damaged in some way, some totaly gone. one guy came home from the late shift at the factory and found his wife and kids in what was left of his modular home in the pond. they were okay but scratched and beat up. they had to swim to get out. so i guess we're not so bad off. even attica is nothing like parkersburg,ia

Boy I'd think this year planting wise, it'd really be putting the squeeze on the BTO's. But I bet it doesnt slow them down any. You'd think it'd make some of them step back and take another look at what they are trying to accomplish, wheather it be EGO or profit. Just think of all the big purchases made over the last year, thinking its easy sailing this year with decent prices.

Reaper, the problem is pronounced "crop insurance".

we got hit by an f-2 tornado friday morning about 5 o clock. took out the 40x70 machine shed, 2 30x72 hoop sheds, the roofs on both silos and nearly knocked one down. it has a big crack in it now. LOTS of little outbuildings gone. 2 12x 24 wooden grainerys gone. it jammed a 2x4 in between the hood sheets of the 966 and dented up the hood pretty good. lots of good neighbors showed up to help clean up.

Sure hate to hear that d.f. We had a tornado hit us in 1980. Really tore up our tool shed that we had just built the year before & move a couple bins on their foundations. Fortunately didn't do a lot of damage to the house, just some roof & siding damage & lots of large limbs out of the trees. It took the shed roof off & over the powerlines & scattered it all through the neighbor's wheat field across the road. Also knocked down an overhead gas tank full of gasoline & broke the valve off letting the gas drain out. Fortunately the downed power lines it fell in were dead or there would have been a heck of a fire.

Since have had a couple come within a half mile of the house. One went between a neighbor who was planting & me working ground. That was spooky. It came up behind him & he never saw it till it passed him. Later he said he about crapped his pants when he looked over an saw it.

Good luck on clean up, seems that's all we did for a week, and hope your insurance company isn't hard to work with.

Just got another monsoon, rained and thundered like I havent seen it do in a long time. Got dime size hail and it'll be a few days before I can see what damage it did to what few crops are up. I was wollering in a 50 acre field when the storm hit, got 20 acres pressed in to the V slots left by the openers. This is the worst working dirt I've ever seen. Calling for more heavy rains for another 7 days off and on. This storm was headed towards Bill,but looks to have fizzled out as soon as it left here for the most part.

Stopped to fill up with beans and found the fuel transfer hose from the filters to the pump on the 5088 was pouring out fuel, hard to tell how many gallons I lost from that,at least a 1/4 tank, and from wasting fuel mulching 50 acres, that'll all have to be worked again, mulched and planted.

I swear to god, this place must be owned by Al Bundy with that ever present rain cloud hovering over his house like it did on TV.

Kristin, we only ended up with a couple tenths here, but it was enough to rain me out from trying to knock down the weed forest I was wallowing in. One of those deals where the dust was flying, and the tires on the land finisher were 3" thick with mud. What a POS year.

Dad went north this afternoon to inspect the monsoon damage from a few days ago. We will get to replant all of our milo. It's not even crusted, but for some reason is leafing out under ground. I assume it's because it was just way too stinking cold after it was planted. 75% of the beans planted in that area will have to be hoed, if not replanted. The 80 acres of corn we replanted last week is beat down like a road, but still too wet to hoe. Maybe tomorrow. I drilled 60 acres of beans up there the morning before the monsoon hit, and it looked like an ocean. Now that the water has drained off, you can't even see the planter tracks. 2.5" in 15 minutes really plays he11 with seed emergence.

We bought a new Phillips harrow in a panic mode from Will Bier a week ago today, and have been running it ahead of the planters on the no-till bean ground. It's been helping to air it out so we can get across it with the planters, but were still slotting the seed in in a lot of places. Rain in the forecast everyday for as long as the forecast runs now. We aren't ones to sit on our "assets" and wait for things to be perfect, so we may pay the price. Worst thing with all this replanting going on, the bean seed supply is going to run out VERY soon.

On the bright side, other than the corn we had to replant, the corn is up and looks fairly decent, considering the condition in which it went in the ground.

Finished corn today. Starting rolling hard on beans. Reaper and Latchford im glad im not the only one playing close the V. As for the BTO surviving its called next yr i farm under a different name. Get my drift. Theres one in every county and we have one too. Thought they would be broke in a couple yrs. i said that 10yrs ago and still running strong. Just hang in there.

Finished corn today. Starting rolling hard on beans. Reaper and Latchford im glad im not the only one playing close the V. As for the BTO surviving its called next yr i farm under a different name. Get my drift. Theres one in every county and we have one too. Thought they would be broke in a couple yrs. i said that 10yrs ago and still running strong. Just hang in there.

Just one?? man it seems like we have a dozen of them around here. Kinda funny thu, they are all into it with each other right now. :D Kinda like a big soap opera. ;)

We have all of our corn planted as of last Friday. Have the beans to do yet and it looks like it will be a while, been wet since Friday night and to be wet all of this week. Rained overnight last night, more on the way later today. Along with rain in today's forecast is large size hail, high winds, and isolated tornadoes. We escaped it last week and hope to again.

We have all of our corn planted as of last Friday. Have the beans to do yet and it looks like it will be a while, been wet since Friday night and to be wet all of this week. Rained overnight last night, more on the way later today. Along with rain in today's forecast is large size hail, high winds, and isolated tornadoes. We escaped it last week and hope to again.

We can't get a break... over an inch on Friday night and now 2 and 2 tenths last night and its still raining.. Still have 140 acres of corn to plant

Slobbed the last of the beans in yesterday, it was barely dry on top and not really fit when I started, but it was worse by the time I finished in the light rain... raining now, and supposed to on and off through the first of next week, so right or wrong I kept at it. I truly hate to think about how much diesel I went through trying to get things worked down decently.

I'm just glad to be done- I don't think anyone is having a lot of fun this year...

Got another 120 or so acres of beans in yesterday and got rained out a little before dark. I'd say we've had a solid inch of rain since then but there's been alot heavier rain to the north and south of us since last night.

Well... Looking at Intellicast right now.. I may as well forget about getting any corn planted the next TWO weeks... lol Just call me Noah.. i'm going to build a boat..

Just looked at the radar and it looks like you guys down south have another one heading toward you. Rain, hail, wind, tornados. Look out guys. Dont know forsure wich direction it is headed but I bet it wont be to far from Reaper, Binderpower856, and MoChad.

Finished up mudding in beans last Thursday so we are done with our little dab. Still have plenty of custom planting to do for neighbors, don't know when that will happen or what will be planted now. 3" of rain last night and one of the worst thunder and lightening shows I've seen for a while. Brilliant flashes of lightening followed by ground shaking thunder over and over for most of the night and pouring rain. Didn't get much sleep. Washed a nice gulley in one of our bean fields. Nice, REAL Nice!!

Coming my way again too...

Finished up mudding in beans last Thursday so we are done with our little dab. Still have plenty of custom planting to do for neighbors, don't know when that will happen or what will be planted now. 3" of rain last night and one of the worst thunder and lightening shows I've seen for a while. Brilliant flashes of lightening followed by ground shaking thunder over and over for most of the night and pouring rain. Didn't get much sleep. Washed a nice gulley in one of our bean fields. Nice, REAL Nice!!

Must be nice to be done. :D It was just dry enough here to go thursday night and then we got rain friday. I debated on starting about 5 PM and running till I got a field or two done but didn't feel like starting anything that late. I disked in the washouts that evening and by the time I got that done it was dark. Looks like now I will probably have to do it again. We've had over 5 inches of rain since then.

Looks like Kansas City and areas around there are getting hit hard. Big gas tank at a pipeline plant got struck by lightening and is burning out of control. If anyone can get news from that area turn it on now and watch the fire balls this thing is shooting out. Now they are saying the rivers and creeks are about to shut down several roads in downtown KC. Wow what a night for them.

Just another beautiful night in Missouri, raining and booming out there again. no wind yet and a steady rain here. Electricity has been off and on three times tonight. Looks like Latchford got some heavy rain earlier, with Lots more on the way for north missouri all night long. I crossed the Chariton River tonight on my way home from the dentist and it was 3/4 bank from heavy rains up north of me. I bet creeks get out all over tonight. Summer School bus might not be able to get in here in the morning if we get much, creek gets out if a frog pees up stream.

Looks like Kansas City and areas around there are getting hit hard. Big gas tank at a pipeline plant got struck by lightening and is burning out of control. If anyone can get news from that area turn it on now and watch the fire balls this thing is shooting out. Now they are saying the rivers and creeks are about to shut down several roads in downtown KC. Wow what a night for them.

Looks like that crap is headed straight for me. I don't want any of if but if happens I hope it happens while I am at work so the power goes out tonight and I can catch up on sleep.

Just another beautiful night in Missouri, raining and booming out there again. no wind yet and a steady rain here. Electricity has been off and on three times tonight. Looks like Latchford got some heavy rain earlier, with Lots more on the way for north missouri all night long. I crossed the Chariton River tonight on my way home from the dentist and it was 3/4 bank from heavy rains up north of me. I bet creeks get out all over tonight. Summer School bus might not be able to get in here in the morning if we get much, creek gets out if a frog pees up stream.

What did you do to make your wife send you to summer school?? :D

Went north of town today to look at ground and it was so muddy you couldnt hardly get down the gravel roads. Went south of town and replanted milo and sprayed beans all day. Couldnt beleive how spotty the rains were. Thundering out now so I would say we will get some of the wonderfull rain tonight. Anyone else talked to their crop insurance agent about preventive plant?? I talked to ours today and he had all the rules and regulations wrote on a peice of paper. He said he figured he better get ready because he figures he will have several acres to turn in.

What I'd like to know, is why do they give 30% chance of rain anymore? its allways 100% we havent missed a 20% chance yet.