Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1randyb

605 V8

My local dealer, used to be Case, used to be Case-IH, was cleaning house and was going to scrap what I know now is a 549 V8. Had hopes that it was a 605 (not), anyway this 549 has two distributors and 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Anyone know what it was used in, dealer thought firetruck or rescue or maybe irrigation with the backup electrical system. I'm looking for a V8 605, anyone know of one?

My local dealer, used to be Case, used to be Case-IH, was cleaning house and was going to scrap what I know now is a 549 V8. Had hopes that it was a 605 (not), anyway this 549 has two distributors and 2 spark plugs per cylinder. Anyone know what it was used in, dealer thought firetruck or rescue or maybe irrigation with the backup electrical system. I'm looking for a V8 605, anyone know of one?

Got at least one runner and maybe two. They are currently in Nebraska but scheduled to be trucked east by first week of april. What do you have in mind?? they are for sale I think. I was toying with the idea of a gas powered 1468 or maybe even a 1568. I suspect they may bolt in?? don't know bout that but just thought 330 HP in a 1468 would be a lot of fun!! Could call it a proto type and park it next to the SHTA's at the shows!!!

ED

PS the dual dist and plug deal was probably a fire truck or rescue vehicle engine. CAUSE when you gotta go, you gotta go!!!

For the dual ignition version, does anybody have pictures of the head showing the plug configuration and chamber shape?

Piston shape would be cool too.

The dual ignition systems were a requirement--not by law afik, but by fire industry specifications--for fire trucks because of the long periods of constant high speed operation under heavy loads in pumping applications where any failure could be disasterous. The engine was known as the FTV-549 in IH advertising.

Got at least one runner and maybe two. They are currently in Nebraska but scheduled to be trucked east by first week of april. What do you have in mind?? they are for sale I think. I was toying with the idea of a gas powered 1468 or maybe even a 1568. I suspect they may bolt in?? don't know bout that but just thought 330 HP in a 1468 would be a lot of fun!! Could call it a proto type and park it next to the SHTA's at the shows!!!

ED

PS the dual dist and plug deal was probably a fire truck or rescue vehicle engine. CAUSE when you gotta go, you gotta go!!!

Ed,

Do you know the specs on a 605? (b/s, hp ect.) I thought 605's were mainly used for nat.gas setups (pumps, gen sets).

Thanx

I don't know anything about them!! Just bid on one on e/bay that was running as a power unit and then after winning, allowed myself to be talked into the other two that they had. These were on natural gas, and had clutches and radiators. I am told they made 330 HP on gasoline. I hope they have a rear bolt pattern like a 549 or 550. Won these about a year ago and think we are getting a truck under them next week. I will let you all know what we learn when they get here.

Thanks ED

Great! thanks Ed!

Sounds like they are a "mystery engine"- nobody seems to have any info on them :unsure: I wonder what division marketed them; Payline???? I don't think they were ever offered in trucks, or construction eguipment. Not sure about the PAYmover though.

Great! thanks Ed!

Sounds like they are a "mystery engine"- nobody seems to have any info on them :unsure: I wonder what division marketed them; Payline???? I don't think they were ever offered in trucks, or construction eguipment. Not sure about the PAYmover though.

Heard somewhere that they were available in some trucks or buses for like one year maybe two as 10 liter engines. But it has been a hard engine to learn much about so far.

Thanks ED