Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dax DeCelle

Brought home a 76 Cub cadet 1450

11 posts in this topic

post-5726-1205723548_thumb.jpgpost-5726-1205723419_thumb.jpgpost-5726-1205723488_thumb.jpgpost-5726-1205723520_thumb.jpgpost-5726-1205723582_thumb.jpgI was on my way to pick up an old water tanker wagon today when I saw this Cub Cadet on the side of the highway with a for sale sign on it. I turned around and went back and knocked on the door just as the owner was pulling in with his son. Turned out to be an 84 year-old recent widower who is selling everything and moving to Houston to be with his son. He was the original owner and always maintained it and kept it in a shed. He even took it to the Case IH dealer in '04 for a complete overhaul of the engine, tiller and mowing deck, he gave me the detailed receipts. After he told me all that he had done to it, I figured he was going to say, "I need to get $1,500 for it," but he said, "I want $600." I said, "I'll be back within the hour with a trailer and some cash." I thought my wife was going to hit the road this time, she said," you've always got it justified!!!!" That's gonna be my new motto, "It's justified!" Any way, it runs like a champ and I had the tiller working in the dirt as soon as I got it home. I am adding onto my shop and the dirt needed some loosening, so there you go. All that it is missing is the grill. Maybe one of you has one to spare. Needless to say, I didn't make to get the wagon, but I'll get one day this week.

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT A GOOD DEAL THERE

Nice looking Quiet Line tractor. That is a #2 tiller which is the later one built and they really work good. The grill is still available ( IH-61420-C1 Description GRILLEUnit Price 55.44). You might find a used one.

The IH Registry has a lot of information on Cub Cadets and they have a buying and selling section were you might find a used grille and other parts. This is a very useful site and a great bunch of guys. If you post the SN I can tell you the year/month of manufacture from IHregistry Library & Research Center information and you can down load most onf the manuals. You got your moneys worth.

These are darn good cadets, my dad and I each have the 1650 and I love them, dad also has the 782 model and I think the 1650 will cut circles around it on any given day, my son like the older ones, he has a 122 rebuilt, and an old 100 in peices yet, and we have an old 580 we turned into a butt buggy for steam shows by installing an old Novo engine in it.....great riding lawnmowers..... :)

Brian

you got a good deal.

my opinion, i hate that series, rubber motor mounts, and they rattle bad

Nice looking Quiet Line tractor. That is a #2 tiller which is the later one built and they really work good. The grill is still available ( IH-61420-C1 Description GRILLEUnit Price 55.44). You might find a used one.

The IH Registry has a lot of information on Cub Cadets and they have a buying and selling section were you might find a used grille and other parts. This is a very useful site and a great bunch of guys. If you post the SN I can tell you the year/month of manufacture from IHregistry Library & Research Center information and you can down load most onf the manuals. You got your moneys worth.

It is number 578614, which makes it a 1976, right?

you got a good deal.

my opinion, i hate that series, rubber motor mounts, and they rattle bad

I thought that the rubber ISO motor mounts were supposed to reduce rattle?

It's probably the hood and side panels that rattle on those models.

That's a nice looking one that you found there Dax, and, can't beat the price with that mower deck and tiller, and the recent overhaul. Needs a new seat does it?

Rick G.

Dax DeCelle: Your tractor 578614 was made in the last week of February 1976(Feb 575894 to 578931 monthly production numbers)

Any one have an idea where I could find a correct replacement seat for this baby? Parts Tree says there is not one available. Northern Tool has a a nice one with a higher back seat for $49.99.

The problem with seats are the bolt pattern to mount them(not many have the Cub Cadet bolt pattern so you must make an adapter plate or re drill your Cub holes. If you have a large Case/Cub Cadet dealer near you they should have some seats that will work. I was at a large Case dealer yesterday and there were 3 or 4 seats on display and I know some one there would have told me how to make them work. You may also run into the covers that can be changed but you can't tell if they will fit till you try them. I have seen all kind of chairs(kitchen) and boat seats on Cub Cadets.

The deal got a little better today. I figured the old guy probably had the cover for the belt on the tiller so I went by there today to ask him. Sure enough, he did. Then he said, "I was just about to try and find you...I found the tire chains for that tractor." So I got the unused rear tire chains and the belt cover. Now I am just missing the grill, one light lense, and it needs a new seat. Pretty neat.