Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJABR

786 Worth Picking Up?

I am looking at an IH786 open station and was wondering what the going rate/market is for them?

I know they are relatively rare and don't usually see many for sale.

Anybody see any for sale lately or come across one at auction?

Thanks!

There are a couple of them listed on TractorHouse... one sort of rough one at $8K and a better one w/3300 hours at $15,500. A guy could possibly go higher for a really nice one, likewise a really beat 7 could probably be bought for $5-6K, maybe less. A 3088 with 1600 hours sold for a couple of thousand more on a farm sale a week or two ago.

Welcome to the forum, by the way...

I bought one four years ago from a neighbor that retired. It had 4200 hours and I gave him $9500. If you can get it bought right, go for it. The 786 is one of IH's finest! You will love the german diesel.

It seems like the ones with the open station go for a little more than the canopy(half cab)ones.Were there two different engines for the 786-American and German diesel?The one I am looking at has the German.

It seems prices vary according to what area of the country you are from.

Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it. That tractor is/will be a collector item.

It seems like the ones with the open station go for a little more than the canopy(half cab)ones.Were there two different engines for the 786-American and German diesel?The one I am looking at has the German.

It seems prices vary according to what area of the country you are from.

Never seen a 786 4-post here but a few open stn. show up now and then at consign. sales. All 786's had the D358 along with the later 886. Early 886 had the D360.

Buy it, Buy it, Buy it, Buy it. That tractor is/will be a collector item.

Did you see the 786 on tractorhouse last year? It was cherry and had duals too :wub:

"All 786s had the D358..."

The 786 brochure confuses the issue as the pics of the ROPS 786 are actually retouched photos of an early 886 with the D360.

I'd really like to have one myself...

I talked to a few people and they said they all came with the German diesel.I think their value is equal to a comparable 986,1086,etc. because of thier low production #s.I've talked to 2 guys today about them and they say they have been to sales where the 786 went for more than a 1086(both in about the same condition).

I talked to a few people and they said they all came with the German diesel.I think their value is equal to a comparable 986,1086,etc. because of thier low production #s.I've talked to 2 guys today about them and they say they have been to sales where the 786 went for more than a 1086(both in about the same condition).

Parts book shows: D-310 & D-358

All 786's had Nuess D-358's. They were all built after the switch from D-360's to D-358's in the 886's. About the only difference between a 786 & 886 was the cab w/heater & air. There were some differences in tire/wheel options, standards verses options and options avail. 786's were available with 4-post ROPS and open station only. I can't ever remember seeing a 786 cab tractor. You could get a Non-ROPS (open station) 886 or a 4-post ROPS 886 but 95+% were cab/heater/air tractors. 786's were real popular when first released with Elwood AWD's on the front for chore tractors when first reelased. We went for a month building 10/week of Elwood AWD 786's.

Last tractor to use a Nuess D-310 was the 686/H86 which stopped production in July '80. The production of the 786 was started about 2 months later. It was such a big seller when released that the supply of 786 engines from Nuess couldn't keep up. So I ended up shipping a bunch of 886 engines to Our local BOSCH distributor and having the pumps recalibrated to 786 spec's. After that We only ever ordered a percentage of 786 spec & 886 spec engines, maybe 50-60% of projected demand, and the rest were "To Be Determined" which means they went for the Bosch dist. before We could use them. Actually worked quite well.

All 786's had Nuess D-358's. They were all built after the switch from D-360's to D-358's in the 886's. About the only difference between a 786 & 886 was the cab w/heater & air. There were some differences in tire/wheel options, standards verses options and options avail. 786's were available with 4-post ROPS and open station only. I can't ever remember seeing a 786 cab tractor. You could get a Non-ROPS (open station) 886 or a 4-post ROPS 886 but 95+% were cab/heater/air tractors. 786's were real popular when first released with Elwood AWD's on the front for chore tractors when first reelased. We went for a month building 10/week of Elwood AWD 786's.

Last tractor to use a Nuess D-310 was the 686/H86 which stopped production in July '80. The production of the 786 was started about 2 months later. It was such a big seller when released that the supply of 786 engines from Nuess couldn't keep up. So I ended up shipping a bunch of 886 engines to Our local BOSCH distributor and having the pumps recalibrated to 786 spec's. After that We only ever ordered a percentage of 786 spec & 886 spec engines, maybe 50-60% of projected demand, and the rest were "To Be Determined" which means they went for the Bosch dist. before We could use them. Actually worked quite well.

If they were such good sellers,why were only around 1800-2000 built?Did IH cut production of these too soon?Seems like everybody I talk to wishes they had one.

The one I am looking at is open station and has good straight tin and original paint.Looks like it has spent a lot of time outside.The dash and cosmetics around the seat need the most attention.Lights need attention also.Has brand new rear rubber.Runs great and everything is in working condition-$10900.3-5 years ago it probably would be a $7500 tractor,but like all used tractors today the price is what it is.Around here I have only ever seen 1.

I've never personally seen or heard of an 886 open station. The only 86 series open station I'm aware of is the 786.

As I understand it, there is/was a horsepower limit where OSHA required a ROPS. The 886 was above that limit. IH specifically turned down the pump on the 786 so they could sell it as an open station tractor.

You could buy an after market cab for the 786, I believe Laurin here in Canada sold them.

Local Dairy farm had a 786 w/ Laurin cab, plus saw a 786 with cab on the local CIH lot last year.

Depends. If it's been rebuilt with the dominator piston set cause it will raise the compress from 350 to around 450 and will start great..Spend a little more money for it it's worth it. If not don't go paying much for it. The 358 german diesel runs great but it's the hardest starting engine in the newer model IH. They start to smoke and it's the worst burning the eye experience of any engine even when just rebuilt with new injectors. Good tractor not a good engine. They start hard because low compression engines(when it's cold,as they get older it'll be all the time), you have to pull the shut half way to over fuel it on a cold morning. But they don't wear the bearing fast cause of the low compression. However i have seen them spin rod bearings. Also cost$725 just to get the cam line bored at the machine shop, cause this engine cam has to be lined bored. Engine kit is about 15% higher than like in the dt 436 ih motors. Only thing nice about it it's a fair quite engine compared to other ih engines but still has a couple of ticks. Not by any means my favorite engine, also the 4 cylinders 236 are the same style and they are junk.

IH specifically turned down the pump on the 786 so they could sell it as an open station tractor.

NO, not quite..... They built the 786 to replace the 686 which was a totally different (smaller) chassis and to compete with a green tractor called a 2930.

IH Marketing had a have a model to compete with EVERY other tractor made by EVERYONE in the business.

The OSHA and ROPS requirements may be correct but the 4-post ROPS and NON-ROPS was available on other models besides the 786. They were all staged in the basement under the finish assembly line where they were stored to match up with tractors as they came out of the final repair/test loop.

I've got a open station 786, good tractor. They do start harder but all you have to do is plug them in for 1/2 hr. and problem solved. Good power and easy on fuel.

Lowest one I've seen for sale while researching these was one for $7500 and that one was rough!Bald rear tires,car tires front,paint gone,etc.Highest one $16000 and that would be a 8 out of 10 condition tractor.

Neighbors have a 786 and 886 both open station tractors on blender wagons. The 786 is about the sweetest sounding tractor around. Would LOVE to have it!

I own a 786, 4 post rops, 16.9 rears,,,,bought it new when I started out on my own :P

It reads just alittle over 6k on the tac. now and will get a new TA later this month,

I would venture to say that the 886 open stations all had 360 engines (1979 or before). Pretty sure that when

the osha rops deal went into effect the 786 came out. In 1980 886's came with the 358 german and the 786 was introduced as well. Same tractor just a lesser fuel system!! To ID one from a distance just look at the paint job, the narrow red or orange stripe horizontally down the lengeth of the hood is the indicator of 1980 or 81 and should be a 358 engine. Quite often called a tri/stripe.

Similar deal with the 3088 and 3288. 3088 could be open, 3288 never was.

Very few 786's and 3088's ever built with a cab. but there were a few. A 786 with cab is RARE!!

ED

PS always thought it would be really neat to take the platform from a fender 3088 and install it down on a 1086 or 1486!!

Instant fender tractor with right hand shifter controls!!