Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WalkerFarms

Anyone ever build a pumpkin planter?

13 posts in this topic

We are quadrupling the the amount of pumpkins we raise this year and I was wondering if anyone on here has built or modified a planter to plant pumpkins.

we use a JD finger planter on the slowest speed.

did use old ih plate planter block some hole in the plates

We are quadrupling the the amount of pumpkins we raise this year and I was wondering if anyone on here has built or modified a planter to plant pumpkins.

Neighbor converted a 16r JD 7000 finger p.u. probably 15 years ago. Don't know the settings they used but only used every other row to plant with giving 60" row spacings.

Farmer I worked for in the early 90's used a 900 8 row wide with every other blocked off for 6' spacing. Used that on ornamentals and pie pumpkins.

scott,

talk to dan, they plant every other row and he has the pop. setting for a finger pick-up. i also know where there is an older JD 6row. you could get very cheap.

chadh

Ask Rusty Farmer - theirs aparently works quite well, If I remember correct it's a modified potato planter - I think they even do transplants...back when I was home, we had did it all by hand - now the kids leave so he's gotta get smarter! ;)

Check with Cole. We used Cole planters back in the day and they had plates for everything. Yelp I just stopped and went to their website and they will have what you need. I just put in Cole Planters in the line, clicked and it took me right there.

scott,

talk to dan, they plant every other row and he has the pop. setting for a finger pick-up. i also know where there is an older JD 6row. you could get very cheap.

chadh

Chad,

I have thought about finger pick-up units, 60" rows are what I am after. I modified a six row cultivator so I can cultivate until vine out to much. Who has the 6 row? You can message me the info. Scott

Local guy used a 6 row cyclo. Put a band on every other row on the drum and, I think, taped off every other hole on a 24 row corn drum.

When I was down at precision planting they were talking about planting pumpkins with a 7000 finger pickup. They said they pulled every other finger out of the meter to help on the spacing.

I have a John Deere 6 row wide 7100? 3pt planter that I will sell. It is in Nebraska

What I have been using ,,a old white air plate with modified plates and a second jackshaft to slow plate rotation. This year,,BETTER,,,Monoson vac.

RD; Potatoes????????That OZ air you been sniffing needs to be tested!

The buddy I know used a JD finger pickup and cut half of the fingers off and like said before planted on 60" centers. He did cultivate early till they vined out.

Don't remember what population he planted at? Can ask if needed.