Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1206SWMO

They Say That His Goal Is To Farm 100,000 Acres

He must be an awfully poor farmer to need that many acres to make a living. Thats why there are fewer farmers every year. People feel they need to farm thousands of acres when you don't need that many to make a good, honest, and comfortable living.

He is supposedly up to 55K acres this year.. Got most or all of the U of I land for this year.. He and his bodyguard just recently got out of the hospital.. I know his dad and his dad is one of the best guys you'll ever meet. to bad he raised a douch bag.... MOST of the stories are true we pull with several guys that are from down in that area. He is the guy that rented 1000 acres up by me at $341/acre...From 8K to 55k in a couple years.. I also guess he pays rent up front too.. Must be making money somehow.. I don't think a bank would bankroll him on that much risk without a good history..

I wonder if the fact that he's an ex-banker himself works in his favor when it comes to arranging financing? He should know how to dot all the i's and cross all the t's.

Vandaila Is where they are froze in.There has to be 150 or 200 left and man it looks like ass.

IFF is monster there is little doubt of it. I have alot of customers and friends throughout central Ill and this guy has then scared to death. He won't quit till he either has it all or he gets shot and I would'nt be suprised if the latter happens first.

I don't doubt that he knows how to make money and it looks like from what I've seen he does a good job and has some good help. But to me the pure logistics of the deal alone will be his downfall. It ain't the getting in that's the hard part. 90ft planters and 60ft tillage makes that pretty easy. it having to shell 55,000 acres of 250bu/a corn that gets you. I'd say this guy has never had a wet rainy cold nasty fall in his life. or a late wet spring. or the combo of both. that will be his undoing.

Ah well who are we to judge I guess if we talk bad we are just some of the jealous coffeshop crowd he likes so much.

Later,

Will

I would think that with that much acreage spread out all over that some of his acreage may have a bad growing season while some of the rest of it would have a good growing season and maybe his overall average would hopefully come out okay?

Personally, I do not know who in his right mind would want that monstrosity of a headache that would go with looking after all those acres.

Agree on both accounts Jere. It's just not worth it. He needs 3-4000 acres of cotton or rice to put things in perspective.

Merry Christmas to everyone, Tom

The dude is scary! He has Pike county on a raised terror alert. I don't think he will come to the river bottoms as it's just too much work to farm down here. I hope. I've go Dowsons about ten miles from me now. rent a 3000 acre farm in Pleasant Hill. Do a good job too. Then I've got schramek about 15 miles from me on the Ill side and about five miles from me on the Mo side. And he still ain't done shelling corn.

Later,

Will

Schramek moved the galvanized goats out of the Macon erea first week of december, I don't know where they go from here.

Chad, every succesful business I know needs a constant inflow of new customers, businesses advertize, I advertize, I visit with every older person I know when I see them about renting thier land even if it is already rented out!

Most businesses don't operate within a pretty well fixed asset base(land). The movie rental business isn't much like farming.

I've missed out on about a thousand acres in the last 3-4 years. If I'd got one initial 400 about 3 years ago the drought in 05 might very well have sunk me. Missed about 120 that year that I do regret, though. Missed another 400 last year that probably whould have worked O.K. One split 240 on crop and pasture was way too high then, and it's way too high, now.

I just keep remembering that the guys that expaned in the late 80's and early 90's weren't generally the most aggressive. They were the guys that were either a.)tied in tight with a bank or b.) had preserved their capital and actually had some credit when things cooled down.

Vandaila Is where they are froze in.There has to be 150 or 200 left and man it looks like ass.

IFF is monster there is little doubt of it. I have alot of customers and friends throughout central Ill and this guy has then scared to death. He won't quit till he either has it all or he gets shot and I would'nt be suprised if the latter happens first.

I don't doubt that he knows how to make money and it looks like from what I've seen he does a good job and has some good help. But to me the pure logistics of the deal alone will be his downfall. It ain't the getting in that's the hard part. 90ft planters and 60ft tillage makes that pretty easy. it having to shell 55,000 acres of 250bu/a corn that gets you. I'd say this guy has never had a wet rainy cold nasty fall in his life. or a late wet spring. or the combo of both. that will be his undoing.

Ah well who are we to judge I guess if we talk bad we are just some of the jealous coffeshop crowd he likes so much.

Later,

Will

I would think that with that much acreage spread out all over that some of his acreage may have a bad growing season while some of the rest of it would have a good growing season and maybe his overall average would hopefully come out okay?

Personally, I do not know who in his right mind would want that monstrosity of a headache that would go with looking after all those acres.

Agree on both accounts Jere. It's just not worth it. He needs 3-4000 acres of cotton or rice to put things in perspective.

Merry Christmas to everyone, Tom

Throw in a bunch of pivots that he's got to keep going all season long and he'll be ready to throw in the towel..

This is just me but I dont see why anyone in their right mind would even want the headache of trying to farm 55,000 acres,much less 100,000 acres.It would be impossible in my area as the weather is too crazy.Also the fields are too small and a 16 row planter is as big as anyone runs..I cant imagine trying to plant and harvest 100,000 acres in a timely matter when its spread all over everywhere.

A few people started planting corn here the middle of March and got it froze off in early April.They replanted at the start of the 2nd week of April and then got a cold 3" rain with 1" snow the next weekend.This along with temps in the 30's got alot of the 2nd planting.They had to wait until mid May to plant again and the hot-dry weather in Aug took the yield down in to the 70-110 BPA range.

Finding and keeping quality help would be a tremendous problem alone.Some with just 3000 acres around here have different help all the time and its less than quality..Keeping the machinery all serviced and moved would be a nightmare.Keeping track of 200-300 or more landlords would be quite a job in itself.

Some of the older larger farmers around here still buy land and own most of what they farm.Most of the middle age and younger rent most of what they farm and say that they will never buy land.

I cant understand why you would want to put yourself and your family in danger trying to be the biggest around.If he reaches his goal of 100,000 acres will it be enough?If he cleares $100 per acre profit,thats 10 million dollars per year.How many farm families will be displaced by someone that farms 100,000 acres?

I'll try to not judge the man as his creator will do it in the end.

By the way,how much are Shrameks farming now?It was something like 18,000 acres a few years ago.

The day I have to carry a gun everywhere to feel safe is the day I move and the day I have carry a gun just to be able to tend to my daily business is when I'll change careers. Tom

I know of several people who carry guns because of their jobs, and they are not police, but I will say you union guys would not like them.

Top Producer did a story on him summer of '06. Seems to have a pretty tight operation; sounds like he has his own crop protection/fertilizer setup also.

Top Producer article

I use to deal with 14k acre BTO and he thought he was GOD. He came into the dealership one day and said he wanted leather JD coats, for him and his 4 or 5 brothers. They gave him coats, but they were not leather and after he opened the box in the parking lot he walked back into th estore and threw them on the owners desk and walked back out. The guy is a pompus prick. Tried to tell the technition while rebuilding their trade in combines what didn't need to be repaired and the tech told him he didn't matter only the guy the machine was leaving with mattered.

As to renting vs owning IMHO there is a fine line. Top producer also did an article a few years ago about a guy who only owned the 40 his house sat on and rented the rest, I think it was in the 10,000+ acre range. He was doing what all the "intlectuals" said to in the 80's and after the auction all he had was his 40 and a couple dollars. Equipment is a depreciable asset while land is a appriciable asset. I would take debt on land any day over debt on equipment, I would rather pay interest on something that is worth more in the end rather than less. But one cannot afford to own everthing either.

All I want is about 1800-2000 acres with just me and my wifes job for ins.. lol

All I want is about 1800-2000 acres with just me and my wifes job for ins.. lol

Man, thats greedy :) , I would be happy with just a 1000.

If he can squeeze $100 per acre profit out of land while paying "too high" rent then the guys he "displaced" were going to be out of business anyway. I seriously doubt there is that much profit to be made at it.

If anyone needs to worry about being judged I'd think it would be the hoodlums who think it's "cool" to assault or threaten other people over their own perceived business deficiencies, if these people really exist. Around here that sort of behavior is pretty much restricted to the barroom drunks crowd. All the farmers I know around here are a bit more mature then that.

One nice thing about owning your own land is that it will never be rented out from under you.On mostly all rented ground you never know from year to year how much land you will gain or lose from it being sold or rented to someone else.

On $60 cash rent ground some made over $200 per acre profit here this year on corn.

Most around me think that they have about all they ground that they need.Everyone knew that I was quitting this Fall and the only knock on the door was from the one that was already farming 120 acres of it.This is a much different area than Illinois.

I won't have any animals..... When you knock on others landlords doors when they were presently satisfied with the job the current farmer was doing and offer more money and take it away from said farmer and its a large acreage... Thus taking away said farmers livelyhood and the world he's known for years said farmer no matter where he is located might just get a little peaved... Say he was farming 1400 acres and he comes in and rents 1000 out from under him?? Say this guy is 50 yrs old... Say this land has been in the family for longer than he has... Thats what this guy has been doing... Putting guys out of business who were doing just fine with what they had.... Don't get me wrong its not ALL his fault greedy landlords are at fault to.. But most of them have been off the farm since before they were born and all they see is $$$$$ not the blood sweat and teers that their parents or grandparents put into that farm.. Maybe I was just born later than I should have been...

He's probably shooting for more of a $20-50/acre profit...

I won't have any animals..... When you knock on others landlords doors when they were presently satisfied with the job the current farmer was doing and offer more money and take it away from said farmer and its a large acreage... Thus taking away said farmers livelyhood and the world he's known for years said farmer no matter where he is located might just get a little peaved... Say he was farming 1400 acres and he comes in and rents 1000 out from under him?? Say this guy is 50 yrs old... Say this land has been in the family for longer than he has... Thats what this guy has been doing... Putting guys out of business who were doing just fine with what they had.... Don't get me wrong its not ALL his fault greedy landlords are at fault to.. But most of them have been off the farm since before they were born and all they see is $$$$$ not the blood sweat and teers that their parents or grandparents put into that farm.. Maybe I was just born later than I should have been...

He's probably shooting for more of a $20-50/acre profit...

There's two sides to it....if there is room to pay "too high" rents and still make $100 per acre, which as I stated, I doubt, the current tenant is not being fair to the owner. I do not believe in taking advantage of people I do business with. I'm not going to underpay for land just because I can get away with it, and I'm certainly not going to complain if someone else thinks he can pay more then I can. I'm not going to be beholden to a single landowner for a majority of my land base, either.

One has to keep in mind that rented land belongs to someone else. It is not something you want to get all sentimentally attached to. It's a business arrangement intended to benefit both parties. I've never considered a rental arrangement to be anything but temporary and dependent on me doing the best for the owner, even though we have many which have been in place for up to 30 years.

I use to deal with 14k acre BTO and he thought he was GOD. He came into the dealership one day and said he wanted leather JD coats, for him and his 4 or 5 brothers. They gave him coats, but they were not leather and after he opened the box in the parking lot he walked back into th estore and threw them on the owners desk and walked back out. The guy is a pompus prick. Tried to tell the technition while rebuilding their trade in combines what didn't need to be repaired and the tech told him he didn't matter only the guy the machine was leaving with mattered.

Troy, who was this idiot? You can PM me if'd you'd rather not post it on the web. I work in Lansing alot and hear about some of these big shots. I got an assz chewing one day, because some guy thought I was one of the Snow's from the Onondaga area. I told him"yeah I farm, but about 65 miles north of their area, so I think your ripping on the wrong guy". Evidently they had this guy PO'd, I've never met those Snow's from down there, but I see their commercials on TV for the Sugar Bush every spring.

general motors problems are not the workers expense. it's the expense of too many vice presidents and huge bonuses for the executives.

Amen to that. I'll second that comment. Its always the guys doing the work that get the blame instead of all the ripoff CEO's. I just cant see whats wrong with a workers pension when the CEO's are getting paid may more than they need and are offered a golden parachute to bail out on or retire. Its not the workers faults that the pension plans were not managed properly to be funded they way they should to provide adequate benefits.

Wonder how he treats his help ,does he pay them well or just over minimum wage or does he just work them a lot of hr's and they think they are making lots of money because of all the hr, cause we all know farming is NOT an 8 to 5 job.

Sounds like he's got quite the record for just kinda running rough shod over people,git out of my way or I will just run over you :o

When he gets to 100,000 ac whats he going to do with all his money than????

He's going to have to spend it or pay Uncle Sam :blink: If he was to die can't take it with him :o

Like you guys are saying why do you have to BTO and have No friends.

Life like that is not for me.

redsthebest

sounds like he has no friends ,and has a body gaurd.

ill bet he doesent sleep very good at night .

IMO thats not sucess .

What credible evidence is there that he 'has no friends?'

no evidence ,but when you go around renting people out ,and need a bodygaurd - chances are you are not well liked .?

What credible evidence is there that he 'has no friends?'

no evidence ,but when you go around renting people out ,and need a bodygaurd - chances are you are not well liked .?

Sometimes the stories get better with time. I know quite a few people who have lots of friends but still have managed to attract an irrational nutcase or two. It only takes one nutcase to make safety an issue, ask our friend Greg on the other group.

He's probably got a lot more friends than anyone here will ever admitt or realize. He may not be respected by some of the folks, but,...........tough toodles!, cant please everyone.

This guy sounds like a smart, well educated business man. He's doing what any business man that wants to succeed would do. If I were a landowner, I'd likely search this guy out. I'd be wanting the best return I could get on my investment just like everyone of the members here.

He's probably got a lot more friends than anyone here will ever admitt or realize. He may not be respected by some of the folks, but,...........tough toodles!, cant please everyone.

This guy sounds like a smart, well educated business man. He's doing what any business man that wants to succeed would do. If I were a landowner, I'd likely search this guy out. I'd be wanting the best return I could get on my investment just like everyone of the members here.

I can't belive you guys are arguing about him having friends after his neighbor posted what a hated SOB he is ,I bet he has bought and owns every friend he has .

You are probably right, Don.

Reminds me of a signature someone over on NAT uses (I cant remember who, though)

Farming, its a business, not a lifestyle. (Or something along those lines)

I'm sorry but I'm a landowner and I wouldnt rent to him at any price.I figure that he already has more than enough ground to make ends meet and possibly farm in a timely matter..Call me a poor businessman but making tons of money is not my God.As the good book says"What Does It Profit A Man If He Gains The Whole World But Loses His Soul". I came in to this world with nothing and I will leave it with nothing but hopefully my good name.

I rented mine to the 2nd youngest farmer in the neighborhood that probably has less than 1000 acres of his own.He farms with his Dad,they are honest,and they do a good job.He deserves a chance.

I was told as a young man that theres a fine line between need and greed.Most everyone on here will have a different opinion of where that is.

Not to put gas on the fire but...................................... this country is supposed to be based on free enterprise right? So what is wrong with being successful?

I find this to be somewhat like tractor pulling............. Friends are incedental .............. enemies are concequential.

By the way if I dont like someone I cannot expect everyone I know to also not like them.

And by the same token we should all hate the likes of C.L. Werner / Werner Enterprise (who by the way farmed about 12 miles from where I now live) or J B Hunt or even Sam Walton.