Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1206SWMO

They Say That His Goal Is To Farm 100,000 Acres

http://www.illff.com/

Anyone know him?How much is he farming now?Does he really have a bodyguard?From some things that I've read I'm guessing that he might need one?It looks like Green is his color of choice.

It seems like I remember a Farm Journal? story (for fun) many years ago about how it would finally get down to the final two farmers.One east of the Mississippi River and one west of the Mississippi River and each was trying to figure out how to take the other one over.

This guy is from down around carlinville ,I have heard he always carries a firearm and is not liked to well due to his business dealings .

This guy is from down around carlinville ,I have heard he always carries a firearm and is not liked to well due to his business dealings .

Seems to me Team_G was saying something about him, and that you are correct. Maybe he'll see this & chime in.

The day I have to carry a gun everywhere to feel safe is the day I move and the day I have carry a gun just to be able to tend to my daily business is when I'll change careers. Tom

Seems to me Team_G was saying something about him, and that you are correct. Maybe he'll see this & chime in.

The curry redi mix truck is what gave me the first clue bacause it had to be him or John Dowson but john needs no body gaurd . .

Thanks for the links, I realy enjoyed the articl in Top Producer. This man has it figured out, there is no need to own land, it cost to much! As I figured my inputs for my small farming opperation I realize just how inefficent it realy is it is almost sickening! I am going to have to do some serious regrouping in the next year or two and grow this opperation to pick up some efficencys of scale. Jon

Thanks for the links, I realy enjoyed the articl in Top Producer. This man has it figured out, there is no need to own land, it cost to much! As I figured my inputs for my small farming opperation I realize just how inefficent it realy is it is almost sickening! I am going to have to do some serious regrouping in the next year or two and grow this opperation to pick up some efficencys of scale. Jon

You can chase economies of scale till you are General Motors, and still not making any money.

You can chase economies of scale till you are General Motors, and still not making any money.

GM better chase economics of scale because they have to much labor draging them down. You don't have to pay help neerly as much when there are machines that can replace the worker, and don't have to pay it a penchion.

GM better chase economics of scale because they have to much labor draging them down. You don't have to pay help neerly as much when there are machines that can replace the worker, and don't have to pay it a penchion.

Well, I read the article. The only thing He's doing that really requires much scale is the Anhydrous tank, and you could probably make that pay off with less than 1000 acres of corn.

Well, I read the article. The only thing He's doing that really requires much scale is the Anhydrous tank, and you could probably make that pay off with less than 1000 acres of corn. If he's going around knocking on guys doors, I can see why he would need a bodygaurd.

No need to own land...thats all well and good I guess. Except renting ground is just making payments on something you dont own. Myself, Id rather it benefit me than the other guy, tho I realize I will always have to deal with landlords, I cant own EVERYTHING.

I nearly always carry a gun in my truck, but the day I feel I need one on my person to protect myself from someone I've pissed off, is the day I hang it up. I also feel the same way about autosteer, when I cant drive the tractor anymore, I am done. But hey thats just me...

i bet he is really happy about the corn he sold for '07 and '08 in 2006. general motors problems are not the workers expense. it's the expense of too many vice presidents and huge bonuses for the executives.

“My Dad was a good farmer, but like a lot of good farmers, he had lost his competitive edge. We didn’t even have a marketing plan,” he recalls.

He sure isnt afraid to speak his mind. The above quote was taken directly from the Top Producer article, and is true for many of the generation at or nearing retirement. My generation wont be successful operating as our fathers and grandfathers once did.

“A new generation of business-oriented landowners is emerging. I have to find ways to respond to that or get out,” he says.

Very true. Like it or not, this will be the new way of business. I have to agree with his thoughts, but I dont think I would be as vocal as he has been.

I would be very interested in his accounting methods. There was an article in a farm magazine earlier this year about "production center" (I cant remember the exact term) form of accounting. The quoted article hints toward it, but does not come out and directly say it.

FWIW, I am in the same school of thought regarding land ownership. I dont own anything yet, and really never intend on owning any more ground than it takes to plop a house, a couple more sheds, and some more bins down on, UNLESS the economic picture changes drastically.

Fire away!

The 2006 article in Top Producer said he farms nearly 8000 acres,and since then he has probably increased, He sure seems to have a lot of equipment for 8000 acres. Two area farmers that are in my area together probably farm 20,000 acres and have half that amount equipment put together.

“My Dad was a good farmer, but like a lot of good farmers, he had lost his competitive edge. We didn’t even have a marketing plan,” he recalls.

He sure isnt afraid to speak his mind. The above quote was taken directly from the Top Producer article, and is true for many of the generation at or nearing retirement. My generation wont be successful operating as our fathers and grandfathers once did.

“A new generation of business-oriented landowners is emerging. I have to find ways to respond to that or get out,” he says.

Very true. Like it or not, this will be the new way of business. I have to agree with his thoughts, but I dont think I would be as vocal as he has been.

I would be very interested in his accounting methods. There was an article in a farm magazine earlier this year about "production center" (I cant remember the exact term) form of accounting. The quoted article hints toward it, but does not come out and directly say it.

FWIW, I am in the same school of thought regarding land ownership. I dont own anything yet, and really never intend on owning any more ground than it takes to plop a house, a couple more sheds, and some more bins down on, UNLESS the economic picture changes drastically.

Fire away!

It's called "enterprise accounting". No big secrets there.

If you wanna play the game of "Most aggressive wins", you may very well end up like Hudson and Nash.

Keep in mind that Top Producer just ran a series of articles on how to put your neighbors out of business then hire them.

Chad

make the wrong person mad and a bodygaurd would be of little help.

if i really wanted to give someone a whipping ,id wait until the right time and place , but thats just me .

that fellow might farm the entire state ,but if everyone hates you what is the point ?

rent someone out and take their livleyhood ,and people become desperate . im glad im down here in the poor land .

He is supposedly up to 55K acres this year.. Got most or all of the U of I land for this year.. He and his bodyguard just recently got out of the hospital.. I know his dad and his dad is one of the best guys you'll ever meet. to bad he raised a douch bag.... MOST of the stories are true we pull with several guys that are from down in that area. He is the guy that rented 1000 acres up by me at $341/acre...From 8K to 55k in a couple years.. I also guess he pays rent up front too.. Must be making money somehow.. I don't think a bank would bankroll him on that much risk without a good history..

No need to own land...thats all well and good I guess. Except renting ground is just making payments on something you dont own. Myself, Id rather it benefit me than the other guy, tho I realize I will always have to deal with landlords, I cant own EVERYTHING.

I nearly always carry a gun in my truck, but the day I feel I need one on my person to protect myself from someone I've pissed off, is the day I hang it up. I also feel the same way about autosteer, when I cant drive the tractor anymore, I am done. But hey thats just me...

Very well put, I couldn't have said it better myself.....

From the looks of it, I'll bet JD sends him a Christmas Card this year (and every year)...............I'd almost bet that they might be paying the salary of the bodyguard (they sure wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to that guy) ;)

The dude is scary! He has Pike county on a raised terror alert. I don't think he will come to the river bottoms as it's just too much work to farm down here. I hope. I've go Dowsons about ten miles from me now. rent a 3000 acre farm in Pleasant Hill. Do a good job too. Then I've got schramek about 15 miles from me on the Ill side and about five miles from me on the Mo side. And he still ain't done shelling corn.

Later,

Will

Lenny, from what I was told, he hadn't rented the U of I farm. My local CIH salesman knows him. He told us just this past Thursday that he called and asked him about all the rumors that were going around. Rosentrater told him he han't rented it and that he had put in all the stuff they wanted and had been to one interview.

The dude is scary! He has Pike county on a raised terror alert. I don't think he will come to the river bottoms as it's just too much work to farm down here. I hope. I've go Dowsons about ten miles from me now. rent a 3000 acre farm in Pleasant Hill. Do a good job too. Then I've got schramek about 15 miles from me on the Ill side and about five miles from me on the Mo side. And he still ain't done shelling corn.

Later,

Will

Schramek moved the galvanized goats out of the Macon erea first week of december, I don't know where they go from here.

Chad, every succesful business I know needs a constant inflow of new customers, businesses advertize, I advertize, I visit with every older person I know when I see them about renting thier land even if it is already rented out!

I may not be final but I think he is the only interview.. ;) we'll see money talks

Vandaila Is where they are froze in.There has to be 150 or 200 left and man it looks like ass.

IFF is monster there is little doubt of it. I have alot of customers and friends throughout central Ill and this guy has then scared to death. He won't quit till he either has it all or he gets shot and I would'nt be suprised if the latter happens first.

I don't doubt that he knows how to make money and it looks like from what I've seen he does a good job and has some good help. But to me the pure logistics of the deal alone will be his downfall. It ain't the getting in that's the hard part. 90ft planters and 60ft tillage makes that pretty easy. it having to shell 55,000 acres of 250bu/a corn that gets you. I'd say this guy has never had a wet rainy cold nasty fall in his life. or a late wet spring. or the combo of both. that will be his undoing.

Ah well who are we to judge I guess if we talk bad we are just some of the jealous coffeshop crowd he likes so much.

Later,

Will

Vandaila Is where they are froze in.There has to be 150 or 200 left and man it looks like ass.

IFF is monster there is little doubt of it. I have alot of customers and friends throughout central Ill and this guy has then scared to death. He won't quit till he either has it all or he gets shot and I would'nt be suprised if the latter happens first.

I don't doubt that he knows how to make money and it looks like from what I've seen he does a good job and has some good help. But to me the pure logistics of the deal alone will be his downfall. It ain't the getting in that's the hard part. 90ft planters and 60ft tillage makes that pretty easy. it having to shell 55,000 acres of 250bu/a corn that gets you. I'd say this guy has never had a wet rainy cold nasty fall in his life. or a late wet spring. or the combo of both. that will be his undoing.

Ah well who are we to judge I guess if we talk bad we are just some of the jealous coffeshop crowd he likes so much.

Later,

Will

I would think that with that much acreage spread out all over that some of his acreage may have a bad growing season while some of the rest of it would have a good growing season and maybe his overall average would hopefully come out okay?

Personally, I do not know who in his right mind would want that monstrosity of a headache that would go with looking after all those acres.