Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1206SWMO

Pictures-Dealing On This Old 123 McCormick SP Combine

28 posts in this topic

123IHJaden.jpg

123IHJaden1.jpg

123IH-Jaden2.jpg

I've been in contact with a real nice guy in Nebraska about this decent looking old 123 McCormick SP combine located in SE Nebraska.Its at his FIL's farm almost on the Kansas border.

It looks like a 123 with some 125 updates such as a lowered bin with unloading auger,and the wide back axle.Notice what great shape the unloading auger is in.

AC-40Jaden.jpg

Theres also a little 40 AC there but it looks pretty far gone.

Nice find there Blaine. Looks like shes been setting there awhile. :D I used to travel through Falls City sometimes when I was a roving mechanic.

I'VE GOot a 125 that runs and drives like a kitten whats it worth with a brand new pickup attachment need a new shed for it drove it home 20 miles no problem

I'VE GOot a 125 that runs and drives like a kitten whats it worth with a brand new pickup attachment need a new shed for it drove it home 20 miles no problem

Tony,

its really hard to put a value on an old SP combine as so few in decent shape ever change hands.Not very many people want to collect them as they are hard to haul and take up way too much storage room.

To me one that runs,is near field ready,and has always been shedded is worth 5 times what a non running one is thats sat outdoors for years.One thats sat out for very long is worth junk price at the most.Thats what the owner wants for the 123 IH in the pictures above.

To me it sure looks like a later SP125, might even be a SPV 125 as I see some of the V-belt drives on there. The SP123 never had the large tires either and the would need major changes to put on the large wheels that this one has. You should be able to tell if the hopper was lowered or if if is factory. never saw a 123 with lower auger unload but some of the later 125s had that option and also large tires and wide rear axle. the table on the 123 also had a canvas between the augers to take the grain into the feeder chain. Altold throw a nice looking old IHC combine. We got a new SP123 in 1945 and in 1950 got a SP125, in 1954 got a SP127, then a 141 then a 181, last one I had was a 403. Still have the SP125, SP127, & 403. I wrecked the 181and 141 for parts .Also have 2- 203s and 2- 140s pulltype with motor drive.

John

To me it sure looks like a later SP125, might even be a SPV 125 as I see some of the V-belt drives on there. The SP123 never had the large tires either and the would need major changes to put on the large wheels that this one has. You should be able to tell if the hopper was lowered or if if is factory. never saw a 123 with lower auger unload but some of the later 125s had that option and also large tires and wide rear axle. the table on the 123 also had a canvas between the augers to take the grain into the feeder chain. Altold throw a nice looking old IHC combine. We got a new SP123 in 1945 and in 1950 got a SP125, in 1954 got a SP127, then a 141 then a 181, last one I had was a 403. Still have the SP125, SP127, & 403. I wrecked the 181and 141 for parts .Also have 2- 203s and 2- 140s pulltype with motor drive.

John

John,

You could very well be right.I'm going to have to see the serial number 1st to really tell if its a 123 or 125.A great many 123's were updated using 125 parts.In 1959 my Dad bought a 123 that had the following done to it..

1 Grain bin was lowered and unloading auger added

2 The 9x24 duals were taken off and single 15x28's installed

3 Tricycle rear did away with and Ford 9N front end installed

4 The header canvas was done away with

123IH1.jpg

123IH4.jpg

Here is a 123 I have bought in Kansas (not home yet) and its all original except the grain bin was lowered and an unloading auger was added.

I have a 123 IH parts book dated 3-15-49 and it shows factory parts to lower the grain bin and add an unloading auger,parts to do away with the dual drive wheels,parts to do away with the canvas in the platform,and parts to go to a wider rear axle.

I also have original sales literature for the 125 SPV and they came out with dual 9x24 drive tires.It had the lowered grain bin.

It sometimes gets confusing when looking over a 123 to make sure its not a 125.

123IH-May11-4.jpg

Heres a 100% original 123 hiding in the trees out in western Kansas.I hope to get it bought.100% original 123's are very scarce.

Any chance of us seeing pictures of all your old combines?You have some nice ones.

Blaine...............................where in the he** do you find all this stuff?? :wacko::wacko:

i'll post some picts of mine it;s a 51 looks different than this one would like to donate to some one that would display it guess I have to build a mueseum TS

Blaine...............................where in the he** do you find all this stuff?? :wacko::wacko:

Ryan,

I have my sources.It seems like that one thing just leads to another. I make up a want list of things that I want and I never quit searching until I find them.I guess that I like the thrill of the hunt. :)

I'm always wondering the same thing, around here machinery like that would've been cut up for scrap years ago.

I'm always wondering the same thing, around here machinery like that would've been cut up for scrap years ago.

The farther west you go,the more old stuff there is.If I lived in western Kansas I would have 100 old combines by now and I would have never been 100 miles from home.

I've got tons of stuff to go look at if I only had the time and gas was $1.50 per gallon. :)

Blaine: that little AC is the same model the late Larry Weber of the Dome Valley museum had stored at my place for a while;3 1/2 ft cut I think.It sold at his sale last march but I didn't get the price. I told him if it was an IH it would have got lost.He replied if it was IH it wouldn,t have came to my place. That long drive shaft must have a bit of a problem as Larry's had a connecting rod welded to the frame as a center bearing .A real farmer fix

I've got tons of stuff to go look at if I only had the time and gas was $1.50 per gallon. :)

Blaine, when you retire we'll go on a road trip. i LOVE looking at and for old iron. its almost like crack for me, i cant get high all day doin it :ph34r:

Blaine....the first 123's had the canvas in the middle of the platform. Our later one had 1/2 augers from each side that needed to be kept in time and no canvas. We later updated it to the one piece auger. The c in spvc means continuous as related to the auger as you probably already knew. Our neighbors first year machine came with the canvas. Have really enjoyed these pictures and thank all who put them on, chub.

The farther west you go,the more old stuff there is.If I lived in western Kansas I would have 100 old combines by now and I would have never been 100 miles from home.

Are there any of these treasures around Ft. Scott? The home office of my construction company is there and someday I'll probably end up there for a meeting or something but it'd be nice to take a side trip :D .

Blaine, my parts manual is dated 1-15-47 and it shows if you have the 13.50x28" wheels you would have the wide rear axle but since mine is a 1942 it was narrow rear and 9x24" drive wheels. My book also shows dual wheels in the 9x24" from 44 on. Did they come standard with singles in 42-43? I have also been told that a lot of them had duals on the left side only with the grain tank but singles only on the bagger combines.

Also farmertony, Is the pickup attachment the same as a 123 SP? How wide is it?

My parts book shows 42 and up, just 42 and also just 44 and then 45 and up parts breaks. Did they have upgades for just 1 year at a time then changed again.

Mine only had singles on it where it sat with a 8' header with the pickup attachment but a 12' cutter bar header in the shed along with the duals

I have part of a parts and operators manual that is dated 9-1-42 and the only picture shows a bagger combine with single tires and a very short auger to the bagger attachment, is this the undershot clean grain elevator. This looks like what mine has.

Thanks for the pictures Blaine and also look forward to farmertonys pictures....James

Thats interesting Chub as my 47 parts manual shows the half augers and that is what is on the pickup header. The 12' header is the canvas header. I'm trying to figure out if the pickup header was cut down from a 12'er. It looks factory but if it was cut down they did an excellent job. The people that used it cut the clover, vetch and lotus with a 7' # 5 John deere mower with a windrowing attachment

The parts machines header is a cobbled up mess and has no canvas and a messed up full length auger....James

I have went back and took another long look at Blaine's pictures. The right side picture shows the decal and I say 125 but could be 123. Also too many v-belts to my memory of our 123, in particular the variable speed cylinder drive as I think ours had sprockets and speed chain [double?]. jawl10, what does your parts manual show in regards to that.

Also, in looking at the "head-on" picture of the header there is a piece of old tin obscuring the throat some what but I make out short augers like with a canvas. Our 1/2 augers over-lapped in the middle and would hit each other when they got out of time. They were chain driven so it was a simple matter to loosen the chain and re-alighn the timing of same.

My thinking is that the modification parts were there for the buying when the 125 SPVC came out.

123Jorhdal1.jpg

123Jorhdal3.jpg

123Jorhdal4.jpg

The above 3 pictures are of an all original 123 IH being restored by Matt J in northern Illinois.His goal is to cut oats with it in 2008.He already has it running but needs a few parts.If anyone has a parts machine let me know and I'll contact him.Notice the 3 matched old style drive tires.At one time Matt was ready to sell the 123 to me but decided to keep it and get it field ready.

All original early 123's are very hard to find.A great many were updated to 125 specs.

125IH-Lee.jpg

I think this is Farmertonys 125 IH combine that came from the Lee Valley auction in Nebraska.If it isnt he can correct me.Notice that it has factory duals on it.

Are there any of these treasures around Ft. Scott? The home office of my construction company is there and someday I'll probably end up there for a meeting or something but it'd be nice to take a side trip

Most are 150 miles or more west of Ft Scott.I sure wish that they were closer.

Blaine, when you retire we'll go on a road trip. i LOVE looking at and for old iron. its almost like crack for me, i cant get high all day doin it

Ryan,we may have to that sometime.I wish that we could turn back the clock to 1976.The amount of old stuff in Kansas was unreal back then.We drove in to the Dodge City,KS junkyard and they were wrecking at least 500 old tractors.There must have been (100) 22-36 and W-30 McCormicks.We got there 10 minutes too late to save a nice WK-40 McCormick.There was a row of 1938-40 UTS MM tractors with 32" rear tires.

THTAS NOT MINE i BOUGHT the other one I had this one bought as well but you can't only have so much of this stuff mine would cut oats right now I hate to use it don't want to break it had to put her out side till my new shed is done chains are still oily belts not cracked pickup attachment never been used paint still on it want to build a trailer to haul it love for everyone to see it

THTAS NOT MINE i BOUGHT the other one I had this one bought as well but you can't only have so much of this stuff mine would cut oats right now I hate to use it don't want to break it had to put her out side till my new shed is done chains are still oily belts not cracked pickup attachment never been used paint still on it want to build a trailer to haul it love for everyone to see it

Tony,who got the one I had a picture of at the Lee Valley Auction??Do you have any pictures of your 125?We'd all love to see it.

1213front.jpg

123IHOklahoma1.jpg

The two pictures above are of a 123 IH in SW Oklahoma that can be bought right.Why do they all have to be 4-500 miles away?

Chub, my parts manual shows 5/8" double roller chain and that is what mine has.

I have a matched set of 4 of those old style drive tires, a lot of weather cracking but I dismounted the tires, painted the wheels and remounted them.

My 42 operator- parts manual says"Main Wheel Disk and Plate,Complete (less tire) (Left Dual Wheel is regularly supplied (except Bagger models). Right Dual wheel may be obtained on special order"....James

Great pictures! Takes me back home for harvest time. Warms me up when it's getting cold outside.

The combines that were on Lee Valley's auction came from a farm sale near Dorchester NE. My brother was there but did not bid on them. The same buyer bought both of them for $ 900 each. We went back the following day to load a corn sheller that my brother did buy and spoke to the family. They said they bought a new 303 and drove both of these combines in the shed at that time. One of them they bought new and the other used from a dealer in Crete Ne. I am sure glad they did not go the scrap man. The family that had them is related to Lee Valley. So many of these old combines go for iron.

Tony,who got the one I had a picture of at the Lee Valley Auction??Do you have any pictures of your 125?We'd all love to see it.

1213front.jpg

123IHOklahoma1.jpg

The two pictures above are of a 123 IH in SW Oklahoma that can be bought right.Why do they all have to be 4-500 miles away?

Blaine, got any extra gas tanks like the one pictured on that 123???