Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest g@m

Tractors with V-8's

Guest g@m

Aside from the beloved '68's who else had V-8's? I'm not talking 4WD's, just row crops.

If I recall, White had a model with a 3208 Cat, Oliver I think had one too. Was that a Cat also?

I think I saw a MF with a V-8 also. Probably a Perkins, but I don't know the number. Does anyone know anything about the MF with a V-8? Was it a decent tractor? Neighbor as a kid used to run nothing but MF. Couple 1100's or something like that.

Seems like the Green weanie is the only one that hasn't used a V-8.

Oops, forgot MMoline. They might have put one in their 4WD, but I don't remember one in their row crops. Oh, and I don't think Case put one in either 4X or row crop.

Just one of those questions that's pops in the head while driving.

I am wanting to think that MF put a Cat 3208 in one of their conventional big tractors. Maybe an 1xxx series. I believe that they used Cat engines first in their articulated machinery and switched later.

MF 1150 and 1155 used a Perkins V8 and were quite the tractors my boss had an 1155 when I was a kid and I loved to hear that thing work. I'd love to have an 1150 (think they look better) along with a IH 1468. David

Oliver had the 2255 which came out with a 3150 CAT, and the late ones were 3208's. The 2-180 White also had the 3208.

Sam

Along with the 1150's and 1155's, MF had the 2800 and 2805 with a MONSTER Perkins V8. The 11's had Perkins also. A guy a couple miles down the road had a 2805 with the big V8 and it was a beast. He pulled 36' digger with it. When he sold it he had just put a differant crankshaft in it because it bent the original one :huh: .

The 1150 MF had a perkins 510, the MF 1155 had the perkins 540, the MF 2745 had the 540 as well it could come with a turbo, the 2775 had the 640 in it, the 2805 had the perkins 640 it also came both ways

The Green weanie did put a V-8 in a 4 wheel drive.My cousin had one and the engine blew up and he put a Kinze repower (cummins) in it.

The Green weanie did put a V-8 in a 4 wheel drive.My cousin had one and the engine blew up and he put a Kinze repower (cummins) in it.

Deere used a 955 ci V8 engine in their 8850 articulated tractor, which was made from 1982 until 1988 and then succeeded by the 8960 with an 855 ci Cummins inline six.

The 8850 had 370 crankshaft hp and 304 PTO hp and I am pretty sure Deere built the V8 engine on their own, but I don't know if it was used in some more equipment except the 8850 ... :unsure:

Guest g@m

Yes, I knew JD used one in their 4WD's. I was just asking about row crop tractors.

Brother in law's family had an 1150 Massey. Sounded good in the field but it spent way too much time in the shop and they soon traded back to the better shade of red.

Yes, I knew JD used one in their 4WD's. I was just asking about row crop tractors.

HELLO ALL , DIDN'T DEERE HAVE A V-8 IN A 4020 ERA TRACTOR CALLED A 5020 OR 6030 ??? DON'T FORGET THE FORD FLATHEAD V-8 IN THE LITTLE GUYS :wub:B) . BOOMER

HELLO ALL , DIDN'T DEERE HAVE A V-8 IN A 4020 ERA TRACTOR CALLED A 5020 OR 6030 ??? DON'T FORGET THE FORD FLATHEAD V-8 IN THE LITTLE GUYS :wub:B) . BOOMER

Deere 5010, 5020 and 6030 had a 531 ci inline six, but considering the small Ford tractors - not even converted ones - you are about half way right, since the little flathead inline four was virtually one half of a flathead V8 ... B)

Deere 5010, 5020 and 6030 had a 531 ci inline six, but considering the small Ford tractors - not even converted ones - you are about half way right, since the little flathead inline four was virtually one half of a flathead V8 ... B)

HELLO ALL , CAN'T FIND MY PICTURE FROM A DEERE I SAW IN A PARADE ONE TIME :o . IT LOOKED LIKE A HEAVY VERSION OF A 4020-5020 STYLE BUT HAD A DIESEL V-8 . HAD A WRITE UP ON HOW LIMITED THE #'s WERE . THE FORD I'M TALKING ABOUT IS THE 8N-9N STYLE WITH A FLATHEAD FORD V-8 . I'VE SEEN SEVERAL OF THESE AT SHOWS BUT I GUESS NOT SURE IF ANY WERE MADE FACTORY BUT I THOUGHT THEY WERE A FACTORY CONVERSION . SURE LOOKED NEAT :wub:B) . BOOMER

HELLO ALL , CAN'T FIND MY PICTURE FROM A DEERE I SAW IN A PARADE ONE TIME :o . IT LOOKED LIKE A HEAVY VERSION OF A 4020-5020 STYLE BUT HAD A DIESEL V-8 . HAD A WRITE UP ON HOW LIMITED THE #'s WERE . THE FORD I'M TALKING ABOUT IS THE 8N-9N STYLE WITH A FLATHEAD FORD V-8 . I'VE SEEN SEVERAL OF THESE AT SHOWS BUT I GUESS NOT SURE IF ANY WERE MADE FACTORY BUT I THOUGHT THEY WERE A FACTORY CONVERSION . SURE LOOKED NEAT :wub:B) . BOOMER

I have seen several pictures of 5010/5020's that were re-powered by 8-71 Detroits, but I do not know if a company built a kit to do so, or whether each was an individual adaptation (some were pretty crude).

At the Iowa State Fair in 69 or 70 I saw a 5020 displayed with the new machinery that had been set up with an 1160 Cat, it may have been done by Kinze.

Aside from the beloved '68's who else had V-8's? I'm not talking 4WD's, just row crops.

If I recall, White had a model with a 3208 Cat, Oliver I think had one too. Was that a Cat also?

I think I saw a MF with a V-8 also. Probably a Perkins, but I don't know the number. Does anyone know anything about the MF with a V-8? Was it a decent tractor? Neighbor as a kid used to run nothing but MF. Couple 1100's or something like that.

Oops, forgot MMoline. They might have put one in their 4WD, but I don't remember one in their row crops. Oh, and I don't think Case put one in either 4X or row crop.

Masseys tractors with the V8 was good, the rear end was the weak point. The 640 which was the biggest engine they used was a power house its weak link was the crankshaft, it would break at the rear throw. The MF 4880 used the Cummins 903, this tractor also had a weak rear ends. The MF 1800 which was a early tractor used the 3208 Cat, I never really worked on one of those, I was a mechanic for a local dealership for @ 10 trs.

Back in the 60s Ed Meade, Amboy IL made kits to put 8-71s in 5020s.

He also had a 560 that his son pulled with a 501 in it. A friend of mine had a 5010 with a V 6-71 in it.

Story had it that IH had come to him with a 806 and a 429 engine. Was way overpowered for the tractor. Then they came out with the 1206.

Paul

The 1150 and 1155 had v-8's. The 1505 had a 3150 cat, and the 1805 had a 3208. 2745 had a v-8... and all have been in the family! :D pictures....

Aaron

Onthefarm012.jpg

The rest are my uncles.

Onthefarm164.jpg

Onthefarm168.jpg

Onthefarm162.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Boomer, I saw an N a few years ago you'd have really liked. A guy took an 8N and put a 1930s Lincoln V12(!) under the hood. Wow! :wub: The installation and the sheetmetal were so well done that you'd have sworn it was factory. The hood just went on and on and on .... I wish I had some photos of it. Man, oh man did he do a NICE job with it. He was a Ford tractor nut and he also had another Ford(an N or a Workmaster, can't remember which) that he'd turned into a 4wd using a late 1960s Bronco front axle. Like the Lincoln V12 swap, the adaptation to 4wd was very well done. B)

MF had two different perkins engines in their two wheeldrives the 540 and 640 C.I. the smaller in the 1150 and1155 and the 2675 the later 2775 and 2805 had the 640 i think i have the tractor model numbers right the first ones had inline pumps then they went to rotary pumps with sae screws on one side and metric on the other making it almost impossible to turn up without a pumpstand. The last Massey's went back to inline pumps. The oliver 2255 first came out with the 3150 then later went to the 3208 and the White 2-180 also had the3208. The little fords were made by Funk aircrft Industries. they also produced a inline 6 cylinder variation with modified hood etc.Kinzie made adapters for the 5020 for detroits i have also seen them with cats and 555 cummins but do not know who made the adapters.

Case had a V-8 in the 4994. They are fairly rare. I think the engine was made by Scandia?? Eason

I have a chance to buy a 2805 with the 640ci Perkins Turbo 195 hp V8 with a 24 speed powershift that has been converted to a straight 8 speed. 3000 hours on the meter for $2000. It has decent 20.8x38 duals and a full set of weights. I was going to buy it to make some money. It has been sitting for 10 plus years outside but the motor is free and its actually in decent shape. Have yet to hear it run. Only problem is that the guy who is selling it doesnt own it. The guy that used to rent his land 10+ years ago left it sit there and has never come back to get it. So, I don't want to get myself in trouble with the law. I would think though, since he abandoned it for 10+ years it would become the landowners property. Especially since the land owner has told him several times to get it out of there. I may see. I already got a real nice kewanee disc from that guy under the same circumstances.

Guest pukeko
Case had a V-8 in the 4994. They are fairly rare. I think the engine was made by Scandia?? Eason

That engine was a 400 h.p Scania,not "Scandia"! Scania makes trucks.