Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest g@m

Tractors with V-8's

That engine was a 400 h.p Scania,not "Scandia"! Scania makes trucks.

There was one of those on ebay a while back, had a real distinctive sound to it.

My neighbor has one of those John Deere 5020's with the Detroit V-8 in it. We all call it the Herald screamer. Boy you hear him wind that thing up to 1600rpm and thinks it's there, then he winds it on up to 2400 and it just screams it's song loud!

Case had a V-8 in the 4994. They are fairly rare. I think the engine was made by Scandia?? Eason

Hi,

that has to be the 14 litre scania v8 great engine never heard one in a tractor but in the trucks they sound great with modified exhaust :) even better

Sander

Another - limited production - V8 is the Same Dinosaur/Dinosauro:

http://www.puddingsworld.com/Machinery/Sam...me_dinosaur.htm

i never saw one of those we had an ole same once with a v4 but i never knew they got one with a v8

thanks for the pic.

Sander

you beat me too it veee 8, great to see you found my site, the dinosauro is a bit of a mystery, it was developed and there were a short run of them made for export to south africa? the SAME aircooled V8 saw limited production life in the dinosauro, and the elephante (large SAMECAR.....industrial truck)......

i was dropped for a 6clyinder turbo engine advenually (the panterised motor)

DINO-2.jpg

i have V4 in my SAMECAR i am currently restoreing it the same as a same centauro motor or leone motor (slight variations in bore size and injector pump)

the phillips acremaster 4wd in aussie was a V8 merc

kirovets built a v8 4wd.......K700A

i think the deutz D16006 was a v8 too

the germans also had some real nice domestic market tractors in the 60's and 70's that were inline 8's.....i think schluter had one

the germans also had some real nice domestic market tractors in the 60's and 70's that were inline 8's.....i think schluter had one

Funny enough, I planned to upload some pictures of these Schlüter tractors and the inline eight engine last night, but was too tired then ... B)

If I didn't forget one, Schlüter made exactly 391 inline eight tractors from 1966 until 1992:

4 WD tractors with different sized wheels:

Super 1500 V with 130 or 145 hp: only two made in 1966 and 1969

Super 1800 V or TVL with 165 or 175 hp: only two made in 1972 and 1973

Super 2000 V or TV with 165 or 180 hp: only three made from 1970 until 1973

Super 2000 TVL with 185 hp: 275 made from 1975 until 1982

Super 2000 TVL Special with 200 hp: 43 made from 1981 until 1984

Super 1500 SV with 150 or 160 hp: three made from 1978 until 1981

Super 2200 TVL with 210 hp: one made in 1984

4 WD tractors with equally sized wheels:

Super Trac 2000 TVL, 2200 TVL and 2200 TVL-LS with 200 hp: 57 made from 1981 until 1992

4 WD tractors with four wheel steering:

Profi Trac 2000 TVL with 200 hp: two made in 1978 and 1980 and never sold

Profi Trac 2200 TVL with 210 hp: three made in 1979

hp mentined above is crankshaft net hp, which is mostly about 10 per cent higher than PTO hp. The engines have wet, replacable sleeves and at first 580 ci displacement, but the 200 and 210 hp models made from 1981 on (and two earlier prototypes) got bigger bore sleeves with 601 ci. The engines with more than 165 hp use a turbocharger. Rated rpm is ranging between 1800 and 2050. They were also offered for applications like generator sets, but very few were sold.

Especially the higher hp, bigger bore engines had issues with the last cylinders getting too hot, early worn-out head gaskets and even cracked crankshafts. Similar problems occured on the higher output Schlüter six cylinder engines. In the 60's and 70's they were about first choice among tractor engines, but during further development, Schlüter "forgot" to add features like piston cooling for the turbocharged engines and to modernise their foundry and probably the rest of their manufacturing. Actually they didn't "forget" anything, but they would have had to spend large amounts of money.

Therefore more and more Schlüter tractors used MAN engines until the factory in Freising, Bavaria was closed down for 1994. Some 32 "Euro Trac" models were assembled in the former GDR Schönebeck tractor plant in 1994 and 1995, then the Egelseer company in Fürth near Nuremberg took over the spare parts business (they do a very good job in this business) and assembled approximately 16 more tractors until 2002. There were several attempts to revitalise the Schlüter brand after that, but temporarily no Schlüter tractors are manufactured.

Nevertheless this brand has a strong following not only in Germany, but also in some neighbour countries and the highest prices are paid even for worn-out tractors.

By the way: Schlüter made the 500 hp Profi Trac 5000 TVL with an MAN V12 engine in 1978, which is one of the biggest and strongest European tractors ever made.

My opinion: Some technically interesting and some of the most stylish tractors ever made ...

The first three pictures show the Super 1500 V from 1966 - the first Schlüter inline eight model ever made - and its engine. Two more pictures show a 1980 Schlüter Super 2000 TVL and a 1986 Schlüter Super Trac 2000 TVL. Like most Schlüter tractors made since 1976, these models have tilting cabs for easier access to the transmission and hydraulic assemblies. Watch the jacket of the man on the steps of the Super Trac ... B) :

post-5724-1203878714_thumb.jpg

post-5724-1203878739_thumb.jpg

post-5724-1203878753_thumb.jpg

post-5724-1203879577_thumb.jpg

post-5724-1203879616_thumb.jpg

Profi Trac 5000 TVL...

Profi Trac 5000 TVL...

yup i have never seen a schluter other then on the net, i do know mr schluter hand delivered all machines, he was a engineer not a business man, when hand building became un profitable he closed the door

i really think all manufacturers could have taken a leaf from his book on quality and customer service

Seems like the Green weanie is the only one that hasn't used a V-8.

The Green weanie did put a V-8 in a 4 wheel drive.My cousin had one and the engine blew up and he put a Kinze repower (cummins) in it.

Deere used a 955 ci V8 engine in their 8850 articulated tractor, which was made from 1982 until 1988 and then succeeded by the 8960 with an 855 ci Cummins inline six.

The 8850 had 370 crankshaft hp and 304 PTO hp and I am pretty sure Deere built the V8 engine on their own, but I don't know if it was used in some more equipment except the 8850 ... :unsure:

That JD 955 V8 was a Cummins 903 CLONE if I ever saw one. I bet parts like valve covers and gaskets even interchange! JD also used the 955 in their # 890 Excavators and maybe a couple other pieces of construction equip. like scrapers.

I was looking at a book on JD several years ago and JD even toyed with the idea of making the 3010's with a V-4 engine and the 4010's with a V-6 engine. They decided against it since the heads & valve covers would have extended beyond the frame rails and prohibited mounting things like front-mounted cultivators & corn pickers on them, Still a very common occurance in the early 60's.

have a neighbor with 6030 with a detroit V8 sounds good and looks cool not much function too it used to few times for tillage also has a 806 with a IH V8 on LP dont know what it is engine wise exactly my self i would love to find a V8 Oliver had a chance at 1 but let it slide

Big Bud????

The last one had a 16-V92 Detroit.

Mikem

The Green weanie did put a V-8 in a 4 wheel drive.My cousin had one and the engine blew up and he put a Kinze repower (cummins) in it.

Deere used a 955 ci V8 engine in their 8850 articulated tractor, which was made from 1982 until 1988 and then succeeded by the 8960 with an 855 ci Cummins inline six.

The 8850 had 370 crankshaft hp and 304 PTO hp and I am pretty sure Deere built the V8 engine on their own, but I don't know if it was used in some more equipment except the 8850 ... :unsure:

If anyone is intrested there is an article on the 955 Deere engine in one of the past issues of Green Magazine i do not remember which issue but i am sure a person can look it up . The article if i remember tells every detail of how much money was spent on research and development how much oil it holds and on and on pretty much everything you would want to know.

That JD 955 V8 was a Cummins 903 CLONE if I ever saw one. I bet parts like valve covers and gaskets even interchange! JD also used the 955 in their # 890 Excavators and maybe a couple other pieces of construction equip. like scrapers.

I was looking at a book on JD several years ago and JD even toyed with the idea of making the 3010's with a V-4 engine and the 4010's with a V-6 engine. They decided against it since the heads & valve covers would have extended beyond the frame rails and prohibited mounting things like front-mounted cultivators & corn pickers on them, Still a very common occurance in the early 60's.

My old Versitile 555 has a cummings v-8 in it.I think Ford used the same motor in its FW-30 and FW-40 tractors.

i will just go off topic one more time :blink::rolleyes:

the first SAME BUFFALO tractors from italy were V6.....then they went to inline six

Deere thought about putting V8's in the New Generation Tractors back in 1953 when they first started designing them. The V design hampered row crop cultivating by limiting the view from the operators seat.

Green weanie? Hmm never heard that term before. Oh well, I guess being color blind interms of collecting has it's advantage. :lol:

i friend of mine has a 4620 (i think) w/ a Duetz. his grandpa sent it to germany to have Duetz do the conversion, there have been some write-ups about it in certain publications. i'll get some pics next time i'm over there.

You talkin about putting a 4620 John Deere, on a ship, and sent it to Germany, to have Deutz diesel engine installed. I bet the freight bill was more than the engine!! What engine did they install and...... Where are some pictures.

that is exactly what i remember, i will have to call him to see what he is up to. i plan on stopping over and seeing him soon and i will get pics then.