Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardinal_Farms

Which came first? 806 or 4020

I know both models were released in 1963, but I was only about 10 at the time and don't remember. It would have made some difference for IH in how they marketed aginst the Deere tractors.

A field day should have gone a lot better for IH in 1963 than in 1961 regardless of whether it was the 10 or 20 series.

Anybody recall seeing the 2 brands compete against each other at the Farm Progress Show or other demo?

Around here in the real world ( on the farm ) 4020 beat 806 by a mile pulled 2 feet more chisel plow faster every time. Thats why hunderds of 4020s are still bringing $9000 plus at auction and you can't find a live 806.

Around here in the real world ( on the farm ) 4020 beat 806 by a mile pulled 2 feet more chisel plow faster every time. Thats why hunderds of 4020s are still bringing $9000 plus at auction and you can't find a live 806.

What world are you living in? An 806 would walk circles around a 4020 (unless it was a 806 gasser against a 4020 diesel). Just for one example look at the extra field speeds you had with the 806. You might want to rethink that statement.

CF, I show the 806's were out in '63 & 4020's in '64.

IH RD

4020's came out in 64, 806's came out in 63

4010's were about two years earlier though, I think. The 806 is a bit heavier tractor than the 4020, I like our 4020 ok but it gets used for about the same jobs for us as our Super M does.

What world are you living in? An 806 would walk circles around a 4020 (unless it was a 806 gasser against a 4020 diesel). Just for one example look at the extra field speeds you had with the 806. You might want to rethink that statement.

CF, I show the 806's were out in '63 & 4020's in '64.

IH RD

Like comparing Apples to Oranges.... an 806 will out horse a 4020 every time......

A green weenie in disguise. :lol::lol:

Dad used to plow with a neighbor who had a 4020 and he had his 806 #13118 with the RD Pump. neighbor had a JD 3 bottom 16 inch rollover plow and dad had a IH 4 bottom 16 inch plow. The 806 would not outrun the 4020 and the 4020 had to have the foot throttle pushed to stay out of its way. The JD plow always pulled harder than a IH but a 3 bottom compared to a 4 bottom.

One more comment when the Hesston 60A stakhands came out there were some 806's on them but U never i mean never saw a 4020 on one. They were put on 4430's if it was a JD

The 806 came out in 63 and the 4020 came out in 64. The 806 was about the same ahead of the 4020 in performance, as the 4010 was above the 560 in performance.

Harold H

I know both models were released in 1963, but I was only about 10 at the time and don't remember. It would have made some difference for IH in how they marketed aginst the Deere tractors.

A field day should have gone a lot better for IH in 1963 than in 1961 regardless of whether it was the 10 or 20 series.

Anybody recall seeing the 2 brands compete against each other at the Farm Progress Show or other demo?

A green weenie in disguise. :lol::lol:

Yep JD, definetly a weenie with a statement like that, he said in another post a 1086 pto was one of many weak points. -wow don't have a clue :wacko:

IH RD

Ya id like to know if 1086Sk has ever driven both tractors. i grew up in our F706. and dad got a W-806 in the early 90s.

A few years ago i worked for a farmer a bit that had 2 4020s for chores. although he claimed them to have in the low 90s for HP, size and driving wise they felt just like driving our 706.

Id agree the 806 would go circes around the 4020 in the field, and look how good it was on fuel. JDs next option was the 5020. dad knew of only a couple around here and heard they were fuel pigs

Id bet theres not many 25 year olds like me that have spent 100s of ours with an 806 on a 14' deep tiller and 18.5 vibra shank.

i know we may be 40 years behind but we finally updated to a 1206 this spring for the field work :D

then at a sale this spring dad bought another one for only 2100 :o hand painted it cuz it was rusty, changed one front tire tube, new tie rod ends, instaled an oil gauge and put it to work too! ;)

(our 1066 has a loader and is just used for moving bales mainly)

Dad used to plow with a neighbor who had a 4020 and he had his 806 #13118 with the RD Pump. neighbor had a JD 3 bottom 16 inch rollover plow and dad had a IH 4 bottom 16 inch plow. The 806 would not outrun the 4020 and the 4020 had to have the foot throttle pushed to stay out of its way. The JD plow always pulled harder than a IH but a 3 bottom compared to a 4 bottom.

Rollover plow will also pull harder than a regular plow. Neighbors pulled a 4 bottom IH rollover with a 806, we pulled 4 bottom with a 656. I seriously doubt that the tractors were equal in hp.

Don't know anything about the earlier JD plows but BIL had a couple JD 5x18 #2500 (I think that was the model). I always thought they pulled easier than my 5x18" IH 710. Didn't do as good as job , stood the dirt up instead of of turning it over like the 710, which I think is why they pulled easier. Had a MF 550 plow that plowed that way as well and it pulled easier than the 710 as well.

The 806 came out in 63 and the 4020 came out in 64. The 806 was about the same ahead of the 4020 in performance, as the 4010 was above the 560 in performance.

Harold H

Pretty accurate analogy Harold

Don't ever under estimate an 806. I like 77' 1086's remark. We run our 806 on a grain vac that "requires" 130pto HP, but the 95-100 pto hp 806 runs her at full load without problems. Our 806 did everything on the farm until we got the 4166. Although having been overhauled once, the 806 has had 3 tacks on it with over 6,000 hrs. (notice anytime I can bury a JD I take advantage!)

have a good one

Cal

Colin you are right 806s of which I knew about 6 pulled 14 ft of chisel plow and every 4020 of which I know about 40 pulled 16 and in lighter land pulled 18 most are still here.

And no I never drove an 806 none in THIS AREA lasted long enough to get a chance. How about telling me why none of the 806s lasted in this area?

PLEASE take notice these statments are as seen IN THIS AREA.

I was in Brandon yesterday and it is very flat compared to the hills in this area.

Colin you are right 806s of which I knew about 6 pulled 14 ft of chisel plow and every 4020 of which I know about 40 pulled 16 and in lighter land pulled 18 most are still here.

And no I never drove an 806 none in THIS AREA lasted long enough to get a chance. How about telling me why none of the 806s lasted in this area?

I was in Brandon yesterday and it is very flat compared to the hills in this area.

You really need to get out more then pal, you aint got a CLUE!

The 806 was/is one of IH's best and I take real offense when some idiot bashes it! :angry: Just like I don't bash a 4020, because that was a good tractor too. IMO the 806 was far better, but I don't rip on the 4020's. Take another sip of Kool-aid & get a life !

IH RD :angry:

You really need to get out more then pal, you aint got a CLUE!

The 806 was/is one of IH's best and I take real offense when some idiot bashes it! :angry: Just like I don't bash a 4020, because that was a good tractor too. IMO the 806 was far better, but I don't rip on the 4020's. Take another sip of Kool-aid & get a life !

IH RD :angry:

:lol: thats what I say too thank you :D IH RD I've drove both and I'll take a good 806 over a good 4020 any day.

Rollover plow will also pull harder than a regular plow. Neighbors pulled a 4 bottom IH rollover with a 806, we pulled 4 bottom with a 656. I seriously doubt that the tractors were equal in hp.

Don't know anything about the earlier JD plows but BIL had a couple JD 5x18 #2500 (I think that was the model). I always thought they pulled easier than my 5x18" IH 710. Didn't do as good as job , stood the dirt up instead of of turning it over like the 710, which I think is why they pulled easier. Had a MF 550 plow that plowed that way as well and it pulled easier than the 710 as well.

Sorry about the mistake my dad had a IHC 642 rollover plow behind his 806 when his neighbor had a 3 bottom rollover plow behind his 4020 also

Harold H

sorry for the mistake but dad had a ihc 642 rollover plow behind his 806 when the neighbor had a 3 bottom rollover plow behind his 4020 sorry for the mistake

Pretty accurate analogy Harold

Yea my Grandpa bought a new 1650 Oliver and pulled5/14 plows and my uncle had a new 4020and pulled5/14 plows he couldnt believe it :lol::lol::lol:

Some of you are missing the point. I AM NOT BASHING the 806 I am trying to figure out how or why the locality seems to make a difference in preformance. Notice I have NEVER claimed that they can't or haven't done what you claim they have in your locaity. But what I have seen here is what HAS and is happening here. Anybody want to try to explain how this can be.

Some of you are missing the point. I AM NOT BASHING the 806 I am trying to figure out how or why the locality seems to make a difference in preformance. Notice I have NEVER claimed that they can't or haven't done what you claim they have in your locaity. But what I have seen here is what HAS and is happening here. Anybody want to try to explain how this can be.

we have always had a aggressive dealer around here and lots of IH farmers and the JD guys were more laid back around here and were never as agressive to demonstrate.

Just my 2 cents worth anyways

Boy, thats a new one to me !! Never did see that in upper Wyo., always the IH did AS STRONG or better, but the JD now appears to be more popular. I think it is because of the JD network of dealers being strong, but I would not accept them as equal tractors, even tho the neighbors might ! :P

Sounds like your ground is real light up there, eh.

In central Indiana 11 shanks of chisel plow was all either tractor could handle effectively.

5-16 moldboard plow and about 18-20 ft. disc or field cultivator was about the standard tillage implements used by tractors in the 95-100 HP range.

Regarding the numbers disparity in your area my only guess would be that your IH dealer must have been weak and or your JD dealer is strong.

It's called brand loyalty, my friend. Your Deere dealer got there first, sold a bunch of Johnny Poppers to the local farmers, and it was all over but the shouting. It wouldn't mattered how much better the red ones were, everyone was seeing green, and the fish stories just kept getting grander and grander.

How deep were the plows being pulled? If the 806 was pulling 10" deep and the 4020 only 8", there's the difference.

How many shanks on the plows? If the 806 was pulling 32 shanks in 14', and the 4020 was only pulling 28 in 16', theres the difference.

The only TRUE way to compare them would be to hook them both to the same exact plow side by side in the same field.

The 806 is one of the most underrated tractors ever built and the 4020 is the most overrated ever built. Even more overrated than the N series Fords.

The words never drove a 806 really seem to stick out in my head.... maybe we should start with driving one before we run our yap. Want to drive mine, come on over! My 8 Will whipe any 4020 and bigger models you send my way.