Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

Whatever happened to these pullers from yesteryear?

Just got back from state fair, and just got caught up, here's what i know:

Henery Piper: passed away

John Thompson: passed away

Bob Hawk: Died in 1999 when a drunk driver hit him and his wife, killed Bob at the scene, and his wife dided two weeks later

Dave Stangle: Has prostate cancer and is now going through chemotherapy

hi,my dad today owns the tractor of grooms smith. just looking for any background anyone knows about the tractor. my dad purchased the tractor from howard merideth around 1988,still has the same three turbo setup inculding fan blades and alternator. its been one great tractor over the years.thanks.

hi,my dad today owns the tractor of grooms smith. just looking for any background anyone knows about the tractor. my dad purchased the tractor from howard merideth around 1988,still has the same three turbo setup inculding fan blades and alternator. its been one great tractor over the years.thanks.

Grainbinder, I sent you an e-mail about history of your dad's tractor. If you didn't get the message send me an e-mail and I can put you in touch with Grooms, I talked with him last night and he would like to hear from you. Thanks Redpedal

At MO State Fair they said this was Eugene's 38th year pulling there.

Some more I can remember pulling in MO from my younger days:

Vernon O'Dell from Richmond, MO had the original Red Royal. Can't remeber but think it was a 856. Good looking tractor, had the chrome panels on it.

Ercell Kirkpatrick from Jameson, MO had the 4020 Jolly Green Giant. He always wore hickory stripe bib overalls and straw hat with the green visor. (way before helmets and fire suits)

Bennie McKinnin from Ill. D-21 Allis called the Joker. Always had smoke pouring out from under the hood.

Rusty Sevier from Pattonsburg, MO Rusty's Red Rocket Who knows what it was, always had a different number on it each time you saw him.

Conrad Cole from Jameson. He and his brother ran the light classes with a pair of Wards, Ole King Cole 1 and 2. Later bought Ercell's 4020 and put newer sheet metal on it for Ole King Cole 3.

Lee and Phil Aylward have already been mentioned. Remeber they took the old 1066 to Europe one year when pulling was just getting started there and showed them how to blow smoke.

Ernie Ropp already been mentioned. Even though it was green, was a good looking tractor with the white hood.

Name slips my mind but was from Nebraska with the white 1066 Wampus Cat.

Donald Berry from MO. MF 2755, Ole No. 1, was serial number 1.

Van Botkins already mentioned with the Cajun Queens. Have an old Farm Journal with a short clip about the first one talking about a 500 hp 4010. Saw him take the front end (still narrow fronts back then) out from under it one year at the fair. Only reason he stoppped was because it ended up trying to go under the right rear tire.

Doanld Wiss from Hawk Point, MO with a G-1000 MM on alky. Always ran good.

Oh for the days of 12 and 15000 pound superstocks!

Thought McKinnon's D21 was "Old Faithfull"? Another McKinnon , Barnes, pulled an IH 66 series. Melvin Streetmatter from Wyo. Il. had a 1370 Case, Dana Munson in Aledo, worked on some pullers including Streetmatter's And his own 1066.

I believe Dana Monson parted out his 1066 4-turbo S.S. The 4 turbo setup itself (a nicely made, quick change unit)was bought and installed on a IH "5488" S.S. diesel tractor I had worked on. After the engine blew #1 piston thru the LH side of the block (missing the injection pump....thank GOD!!!) at a pull in Mackville, WI. We replaced the engine itself with the HYPERMAX engine from a 1066 that came from TX. After getting it together, it ran well. The tractor was later sold to Lynn Bros of Unity Wi. (they ran a 7610???? FORD diesel that was tough to beat!!!). I don't know where it went from there.

Can anyone remember a guy who pulled a Ford 8000 in the mid70s and he won the Indy Super Pull with it one year in that time period, the tractor had no fenders and a tricycle front end and looked rough as heck but could flat out pull

Would that have been Gene Kick (sp) on the Ford. I think he also was the ntpa 7000 point champ one year.

................................Mark

Can anyone remember a guy who pulled a Ford 8000 in the mid70s and he won the Indy Super Pull with it one year in that time period, the tractor had no fenders and a tricycle front end and looked rough as heck but could flat out pull

Loyd and Jim Ludke had 2 Fords a 6000 and a 8000. I think Gene Keik is the one you are thinking of.

New member here. I really enjoyed reading about the past pullers. I am from Northwest Ohio and pulled for many yrs on the state circuit. And when I could I pulled in Bowling Green I wasn't competitive with the big boys but it was just fun to pull there. I attended all the pull at BG only missing the first yr or two. So if you have any questions I could help with just ask. Just something to pass on I understand that the Bosse Brothers 4 engine tractor is in the process of being restored by someone around BG I don't know if it will be done to be displayed at BG this yr or not. One of the best single engine mod tractors that I remember from back in the day was The Little American tractor owned by the Wilsons I think from Greenville Oh. It had a Ford 427 SOHC and had sound all it own.

Loyd and Jim Ludke had 2 Fords a 6000 and a 8000. I think Gene Keik is the one you are thinking of.

Also I believe Shelly Swift out of Florida pull a Ford 8000

`I've really enjoyed reading this topic. It's brought back a lot of memories I had when I was a kid and the NTPA came down here to Georgia. You guys are lucky and better be thankful that you can get to go to a NTPA pull.Anyway I was looking in my tractor pulling book by Michael Bargo and one of the prettiest ones to me is a 560 called ole binder boy owned by Jerry Tuggle from Michigan.

If i'm correct RE Donaldson got killed in a farming accident 20-25 years ago a frist class puller A lot of us old pullers are gone or going to be gone before long Still gives me a good feeling to go to a good pull I,ve ofen wondered where my old 666 wound up at( thank's for the time to think back in past years)

`I've really enjoyed reading this topic. It's brought back a lot of memories I had when I was a kid and the NTPA came down here to Georgia. You guys are lucky and better be thankful that you can get to go to a NTPA pull.Anyway I was looking in my tractor pulling book by Michael Bargo and one of the prettiest ones to me is a 560 called ole binder boy owned by Jerry Tuggle from Michigan.

If i'm correct RE Donaldson got killed in a farming accident 20-25 years ago a frist class puller A lot of us old pullers are gone or going to be gone before long Still gives me a good feeling to go to a good pull I,ve ofen wondered where my old 666 wound up at( thank's for the time to think back in past years)

I remember Donaldson pulling in BG very strong tractor I believe he died the next yr and his son or sons brought the tractor back and pulled in BG after that at least once. I also remember being track side one time when Henry Piper twisted off a rear axel on his tractor the tractor dropped and the wheel just rolled on down the track Piper was nice and calm just shut off the tractor and watched the tire roll down the track with a big grin on his face.

Donaldson got killed when he was thrown off that tractor in i believe chapel hill, nc.

New member here. I really enjoyed reading about the past pullers. I am from Northwest Ohio and pulled for many yrs on the state circuit. And when I could I pulled in Bowling Green I wasn't competitive with the big boys but it was just fun to pull there. I attended all the pull at BG only missing the first yr or two. So if you have any questions I could help with just ask. Just something to pass on I understand that the Bosse Brothers 4 engine tractor is in the process of being restored by someone around BG I don't know if it will be done to be displayed at BG this yr or not. One of the best single engine mod tractors that I remember from back in the day was The Little American tractor owned by the Wilsons I think from Greenville Oh. It had a Ford 427 SOHC and had sound all it own.

Welcome to the board...the more the merrier.

What did you pull?

.............Mark

Bob Hawk was mentioned in past post. He was from Lieters Ford, In. He had a shop there and it is still in business with son Randy running same. Randy is considered the LP guru of the area as was his father. Very nice man. To get to Lieters Ford you go right by the "Solid Junk Farm" of Dave Stangel. Big sign on tool shed says so!!! There are many stories of Dave and his exploits............truly a showman in his own right, chub.

Welcome to the board...the more the merrier.

What did you pull?

.............Mark

started out with a garden tractor then pulled mod 4X4 Ford called Just in Time. At one time I had a twin engine mod with Big Block Fords. then i bought a mod from I think Missouri dont remember for sure It was a single Allison call Thunder Cat. I guess the only thing I have never had was a SS tractor.

heres some old pics i had laying roud. I am only 18 so i couldnt grow up around those beasts of the 70's and 80s but my dad had kept a bunch of issues of the puller and i grew up looking through those and i really loved opening each new page and looking at the old stuff. The old stuff is way better than the new stuff. anyways. i got some random pics. one of E.J. Potter on double ugly and one of PC Long taking a fun ride.

MMPullerLouisville1971-1.jpg

MMPullerLouisville71.jpg

kohlgary.jpg

IHPullerLouisville1971.jpg

2ugly.jpg

PCLong.jpg

heres some old pics i had laying roud. I am only 18 so i couldnt grow up around those beasts of the 70's and 80s but my dad had kept a bunch of issues of the puller and i grew up looking through those and i really loved opening each new page and looking at the old stuff. The old stuff is way better than the new stuff. anyways. i got some random pics. one of E.J. Potter on double ugly and one of PC Long taking a fun ride.

MMPullerLouisville1971-1.jpg

MMPullerLouisville71.jpg

kohlgary.jpg

IHPullerLouisville1971.jpg

2ugly.jpg

PCLong.jpg

The Little American was a COOL tractor. I was helping at the Elkhorn Wisconsin pull maybe in the 70s sometime. They had the headder pipe off of the SOHC Ford and were fishing a valve out of the exhaust port. I asked them if thay were done for the show. They said NO they were gonna run it on 7 cylinders!! They WON the class on 7!! Put the Chevys in the weeds!

farmallman77 thanks for posting the photo's from the Glory days!!! you can keep them coming as far as I'm concerned ;) .

Ah yes the Little American B). As I recall the Wilson's were some what of a loaner. Most of the big boys ran Chevy engines, maybe a few Hemi's but most were Chevy's. The little American ran that Ford 427 SOHC and was competitive. the Little American was in it's own right as much a crowd pleaser as the Banter tractors.

Bosse Brothers , The BJ team originally they had a W-9 with 2 460 Lincoln {Ford} engines and the 4-460 engined tractor. As I recall eventually Buck Johnson {the J in the BJ team} took the twin engined tractor and left the team to go it alone. It was quite a sight to see that 4 engined tractor come down the track. Bosse's were running those four engines long before banters ever did.

I grew up down the road from the Bosse brothers and farmed right next door. Worked on our 986 rear end in Carl's shop one summer. I believe Paul still has the M they used to pull. Carl had the 4 engine puller in the back of his shop in pieces, a 8N or 9N Ford with a 351 Cleveland, 806 w/ 555 cummins on rice tires. My dad pitted for them way back one pull - wild times from the way he tells it. Carl is definitely missed, he was a great guy and knew more about getting power from IH tractors than anyone I have ever met.

Here is the 806 at Carl's sale:

IM000361.jpg

IM000362.jpg

IM000363.jpg

I would love to see the 4 engine tractor restored or at least together again.

Denny

I recall seeing a picture of second tractor the Wilsons had it was a twin 427 SOHC Ford call the All American I never saw it pull and I'm not thinking that they had it for long. Anyone else remember this tractor?

I recall seeing a picture of second tractor the Wilsons had it was a twin 427 SOHC Ford call the All American I never saw it pull and I'm not thinking that they had it for long. Anyone else remember this tractor?

Yes I faintly recall that tractor when they first brought it out on the circuit and were trying to get the bugs out of it. My guess is that with so may pullers following Banters and Bosse's in the multi engine application. Wilson's felt the pressure to do the same to be competitive especially in the heavier weight classes, unfortunately I don't think it paid off for them.

I remember seeing the All American in an old Puller mag and I think it was owned by Steve Drew.

Here are some pic's from the mid 70's that I took at BG some of the tractors a obvious who they are and others are not help me out if you know. Click on the pic's for a bigger view. The first is Don Harness from Ind. the other 2 I have no idea.

post-43283-12809622701_thumb.jpg

post-43283-128096229218_thumb.jpg

post-43283-128096231278_thumb.jpg