Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

Whatever happened to these pullers from yesteryear?

160 posts in this topic

Thought of another puller back in the 70's and wonder if anyone remembers him; Carl McQueen and he pulled with a JD 4020.

That's about all I can pull out of my memory bank. Now, where are those magazines? :unsure:

Hoot,I think Carl and Harold? McQueen from Manteno,ILL had a 4010 JD and then later a 4230 JD that they pulled in the 7-9SS classes.They pulled with NTPA alot in the 70's and in to the 80's.Just going from memory and havent dug out any of the old Puller mags yet.

post-3718-1187139353_thumb.jpgAny of you guys remember the "Red Warrior" 1066 SSD from the 70's and 80's?

It resides about 15 miles from me and still pulls locally. Red Warrior, and several others are Hypermax originals. These tractors went from the IH assembly line straight to Hyper. I cant remember the name oh the guy who owned the Warrior to start with maybe Keeyes from TX?

post-3718-1187139353_thumb.jpgAny of you guys remember the "Red Warrior" 1066 SSD from the 70's and 80's?

It resides about 15 miles from me and still pulls locally. Red Warrior, and several others are Hypermax originals. These tractors went from the IH assembly line straight to Hyper. I cant remember the name oh the guy who owned the Warrior to start with maybe Keeyes from TX?

Bozey Keyes from McKinney,Texas owned the Red Warrior in the early-mid 1980's.It was originally built in the mid 70's and was pulled by Don Walters from the Carey,Ohio area whom got killed in a tragic accident while at work.His Dad was pulling legend Jack Walters of Father Farmall fame.He pulled one of the 1st 66 series IH's ever.Jack Walters was once to my farm in the mid 1980's as he was collecting old tractors then.

I got to see The Red Warrior pull several times.I guess PCY in Ohio has it now.I see that hes been in the hospital alot lately.

Bozey Keyes from McKinney,Texas owned the Red Warrior in the early-mid 1980's.It was originally built in the mid 70's and was pulled by Don Walters from the Carey,Ohio area whom got killed in a tragic accident while at work.His Dad was pulling legend Jack Walters of Father Farmall fame.He pulled one of the 1st 66 series IH's ever.Jack Walters was once to my farm in the mid 1980's as he was collecting old tractors then.

I got to see The Red Warrior pull several times.I guess PCY in Ohio has it now.I see that hes been in the hospital alot lately.

Thanks for the refresher on the previous owners, Keyes was the only name I could remember. Paul and John have the original sideshields hanging up in the shop. They had replicas made and put on the tractor. the shields have an American Indian scene depicted on them, and there is signifcance in the picture if you are familiar with Indian symbolology.

Paul has been in the hospital quite a bit lately , he is home once again and doing better.

I'm gonna test this picture posting thing with an old one of Esden Lehn. If it works, I'll add some more.

post-1119-1187149679_thumb.jpg

post-1119-1187150581_thumb.jpgOk, it worked. Here are some other old pics that I have scanned from yearbooks, programs, etc.

First one is of Ernie and Bryan Conner's JD alky burner from 1989. This was the first heavy alcohol tractor that I can remember being really good. I think they brought out the White named 'Bad Medicine' the following year.

My personal favorite (no booing from the red crowd!), the Ropp family's Iron Elk from about 1987.

post-1119-1187150818_thumb.jpg

Harold McQueen from 1984.

post-1119-1187150703_thumb.jpg

Here is Dickie Sullivan from 1984.

post-1119-1187150652_thumb.jpg

This one is a group of 12,000# super stockers from the Iowa association back in 1983. The 1066 of Lee Aylward is currently owned and pulled by David Anderson.

post-1119-1187150950_thumb.jpg

A group of oldies from an NTPA Hall of Fame article.

post-1119-1187151230_thumb.jpg

Rob Russell's Work Horse. This was the first Magnum puller I can remember seeing. Was also the first puller I saw using the double cut tires.

post-1119-1187151454_thumb.jpg

Jerry Hart's Barnstormer.

post-1119-1187151386_thumb.jpg

The picture of the workhorse has to be the Fort.

hard to beleive how much has changed looking at these old pictures. factory cast iron front axles, no roll cage, no fire suit, cast iron wheel weights in the wheels (would be nearly impossible with todays wheel speeds i reckon) etc etc.

For what it is worth Mike Mason is still alive and farms about 5 miles west of me, just to the north of Wilmington OH. As far as I know his tractor may still be in the barn.

So you know Mike too.Bill Morris at Jamestown put me onto Mike as having a lot of IH 06 parts on hand.Got some hydraulic valve pieces off him last year for my 706 and bought a nfe for my 806 off him this spring.Still has a unfinished 806 puller in his barn,said it was for sale.Has to be one of the nicest guys i know and has a shop thats out of this world.

Fwiw,anybody remember Russ Mears and his Trailer Farmer 966 that he started out with?Then he had Just For Fun,Just Maybe,and Maybe So.The last two him and his boy pulled before he retired.He sold them to Larry Roberts who got his start with those two tractors.

Thanks AWT for the picture of The BARNSTORMER owned by Jerry Hart.

Another one of our famous pullers from Southwest Ohio. He now farms near Vandalia, Ohio.

Bill

Fwiw,anybody remember Russ Mears and his Trailer Farmer 966 that he started out with?Then he had Just For Fun,Just Maybe,and Maybe So.The last two him and his boy pulled before he retired.He sold them to Larry Roberts who got his start with those two tractors.

Here you go.

post-1119-1187180980_thumb.jpg

Here's another one i remember as a teenager,Sam West and his 4 turbo alky burning Cockshutt 40.Guess he was#1 in points for his class for Many years,don't know for sure if it was outside Oh.or not.Health issues forced him to retire although he's still farming.Remember him pulling a WD45 in field stock class around many fairs here,even leaving the cultivator frame on the tractor many occasions.

Doug Bend Still has Dads UB allison and its in Excellent working condition as of couple years ago when he made a Exhibition Pass in Milledgeville IL Doug is Currently President Of Illini State Pullers (ISP) and he runs a pair of MM NA tractors 5000,7000 From What i been told is Bill Newlans MM is still around just Moth Balled never seen it but i am on the trail of finding it

How about Eugene McNeely with his WD-45 Allis called Mack. He still pulls that tractor along with a 190XT called The Pup in 6500 prostock. He can still run upp there with the best of them.

At MO State Fair they said this was Eugene's 38th year pulling there.

Some more I can remember pulling in MO from my younger days:

Vernon O'Dell from Richmond, MO had the original Red Royal. Can't remeber but think it was a 856. Good looking tractor, had the chrome panels on it.

Ercell Kirkpatrick from Jameson, MO had the 4020 Jolly Green Giant. He always wore hickory stripe bib overalls and straw hat with the green visor. (way before helmets and fire suits)

Bennie McKinnin from Ill. D-21 Allis called the Joker. Always had smoke pouring out from under the hood.

Rusty Sevier from Pattonsburg, MO Rusty's Red Rocket Who knows what it was, always had a different number on it each time you saw him.

Conrad Cole from Jameson. He and his brother ran the light classes with a pair of Wards, Ole King Cole 1 and 2. Later bought Ercell's 4020 and put newer sheet metal on it for Ole King Cole 3.

Lee and Phil Aylward have already been mentioned. Remeber they took the old 1066 to Europe one year when pulling was just getting started there and showed them how to blow smoke.

Ernie Ropp already been mentioned. Even though it was green, was a good looking tractor with the white hood.

Name slips my mind but was from Nebraska with the white 1066 Wampus Cat.

Donald Berry from MO. MF 2755, Ole No. 1, was serial number 1.

Van Botkins already mentioned with the Cajun Queens. Have an old Farm Journal with a short clip about the first one talking about a 500 hp 4010. Saw him take the front end (still narrow fronts back then) out from under it one year at the fair. Only reason he stoppped was because it ended up trying to go under the right rear tire.

Doanld Wiss from Hawk Point, MO with a G-1000 MM on alky. Always ran good.

Oh for the days of 12 and 15000 pound superstocks!

Rick Behrendt form Ravenna, NE runs Wampuscat now, and it's still up & runnin! Saw it in Carroll, NE this year, and I'd bet it'll be in Wisner, NE this weekend.

Rick Behrendt form Ravenna, NE runs Wampuscat now, and it's still up & runnin! Saw it in Carroll, NE this year, and I'd bet it'll be in Wisner, NE this weekend.

Jim Shafer from Verdon,NE built it as a 9-12,000 Super Stock around 1973-74 and pulled it in to the mid-late 1980's.

The Wampuscat sheet metal was sold to Rick Behrendt for his 1066 IH PS and he kept the name..The original tractor itself is now a 3688 IH SSD thats owned by Randy Hervert from Ravenna,NE.The Simonsens from Red Cloud have pulled it some but it isnt out very much.

Here you go.

Andy, thanks for this picture and all the others as well. Sure seems funny seeing them with cast axles and all that stuff. 1984 really wasnt all that long ago was it? :D

Did you make it to the State Fair yesterday? I seen your dad once walking through the grand stand but I dont think he seen me. I didnt figure there was any use hollering at him for all the noise. :D

Jim Shafer's 1066 Jim died about 5 years ago ,used to see Jim at farm sales in the Falls City Ne area.post-642-1187323216_thumb.jpg

Vernon O'dells 856 , talked to his neighbor and he said Vernon had passed post-642-1187323249_thumb.jpg

Rusty's 1066 post-642-1187323313_thumb.jpg

Does any one remember Elwin Peary from Cambridge Ia with the "Red Babe" 1066 ? is he still alive ? He had a brother Keith that pulled a hot rod ? Picture?

Can anyone remember a guy who pulled a Ford 8000 in the mid70s and he won the Indy Super Pull with it one year in that time period, the tractor had no fenders and a tricycle front end and looked rough as heck but could flat out pull

Andy, thanks for this picture and all the others as well. Sure seems funny seeing them with cast axles and all that stuff. 1984 really wasnt all that long ago was it? :D

Did you make it to the State Fair yesterday? I seen your dad once walking through the grand stand but I dont think he seen me. I didnt figure there was any use hollering at him for all the noise. :D

Yep, I was there dripping sweat for 8 hours with everyone else. Best show I had watched in years. You can never go wrong with 80 super farm and 42 light super hooks.

I met up with one of Jim Shafer's grand daughters last week. Her husband is in Iraq and she rode with me on a Patriot Guard welcome home ride for a unit returning back to Kearney. When she found out that I used to pull, she asked me about Jim's old tractor and I had forgotten where the 1066 had gone. Oldtimers has crept in as Randy and Rick are good friends of mine, but I forgot about that connection! He also used to pull a white 856 pro stock with us in Ne Bush also. The last I knew, it is in West Point. I will pass this info on to her.

Also, who was it that ran the IH66 series called Rusty's Red Rocket? I believe he was out of Missouri. Only saw him run it a few times, but will never forget it! Don't know how the guy lived as long as he did.

Andy you're right, there sure was alot of hooks. Im glad the had 2 sleds. :D We left before it was all over with. Did they have 2 modified classes or just the one earlier? What did you think of Longneckers Rolls Royce engine? :D

Striker, Rusty Sevier had Rusty's Red Rocket.

80 Super Farm hooks, geez the announcers at the MO State Fair were right when they said super farm tractors in Iowa are what prostock pickups are in Missouri.

Any one on here have any old school pics of the Blagrave's Red Horse and the Long's Red Raider from Tx?