Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

Whatever happened to these pullers from yesteryear?

boog,

I think your 100% correct on, Loud Mouth Lime was Don Harness's tractor. and Makin Bacon going to Tim Engler sounds correct.

Just how long do you think we can keep this topic going?

Sorry guys Englers tractor was "Mission Impossible" and Bruce Hutcherson from Patriot, IN was owner of

"Makin Bacon Special". He also had a two wheel drive truck and Carhartt sponsored both of them at one time.

A couple of more pullers mentioned- Ed Carmichael of Sullivan IN in the Ring Around Seeds special 1066 is still alive and farming. Recently got married somewhere in his 60s. Remember a guy named John Lancaster who had a D-21. Leland Gladish from Petersburg IN passed away a few yrs ago however his tractor a 966 with blower is still going- Barry Cooper from Petersburg has it now. Also remember the Judge and the Jury tractors by Ron Barga both allison tractors i believe. Two other modified puller from IN Fred Freeman from Wadesville and Larry Richwine from Brownsburg.

Sorry guys Englers tractor was "Mission Impossible" and Bruce Hutcherson from Patriot, IN was owner of

"Makin Bacon Special". He also had a two wheel drive truck and Carhartt sponsored both of them at one time.

Ok, Now we have that one answered, thanks 06MAN.

boog, remember when Stangle puled the sled right off the side of the track in the 12000 SS on Saturday night of the first Indy Super Pull?

Ok, Now we have that one answered, thanks 06MAN.

boog, remember when Stangle puled the sled right off the side of the track in the 12000 SS on Saturday night of the first Indy Super Pull?

I only made the Sun Eve pull that first year. I had only heard about the pull a couple days before & Sun was the only tickets we could get. Sat up in the nose bleed seat.

I recall in about '78 coming out of the pulls on a Sun night & it was -25ยบ :( . Got home & our furnace was off. Seems a little 2 yr old boy (won't mention any names but the same boy who a year later painted the rear window & roof of my new p.u. red ;) ) had shut the furnace off when we had left home. Not good news when you have hot water heat. Had 16 breaks in the heat lines :(

06man, while I was out watering momma boog's flowers I kept thinking that Engler didn't sound right with the "MBS". I'd forgotten all about the "Mission Impossible" tractor.

Andy Main hasn't pulled for a long time but he still farms and lives just around the corner from me. Not in the best of health though. Rollie

bruce hutcherson lost everything he owned they finished selling him out a few years ago. hope he had fun pulling

Anyone know who this puller is? I think this picture is from a pull in western Iowa back in the 70's.

post-62-1186804583.jpg

Anyone know who this puller is? I think this picture is from a pull in western Iowa back in the 70's.

post-62-1186804583.jpg

Thats Rob Russells (Work Horse Case-IH pulling fame) Dad Jerry Russell on his 1256 IH puller.They were from southern Iowa.I put this picture on a pulling forum 3-4 years ago and Rob came on to tell that was his Dad.

I'm sitting here looking at results from the 1972 Bethany,MO pull and see that Jerry got 4th out of 22 in the 9000 lb class.A 1466 got 1st,a 4020 JD 2nd,and a 1256 IH 3rd.

post-62-1186804583.jpg

How about these guys ????????

:o

1078255195_2ff3123e6a_b.jpg

1078255375_4a33614976_o.jpg

1079112586_ac58fa8f2d_o.jpg

mjd

Robbie...........I, too, used to subscribe to the "Puller" magazine back in the early 70's and there's a couple more names I remember that you haven't mentioned. Maybe Blaine can help me out here too;

Andy Main - he used a Case 70 series

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Dick Obermeyer - can't remember what he pulled with, but his wife Nancy wrote a monthly column in the "Puller"

Bob Hawk & Al Isch - Oliver 88

Ralph Chamberlin - Oliver with an Allison V-12

Carl Bosse - 4 engine IH W or WD9

Don Kolb - IH 856

Banter Bros - they had a couple different ones

Also remember the JD 6030 but CRS keeps me from remembering who drove it back then

I have a stash of old "Puller" mags laying around somewhere and again CRS factors in where are they at?

How about it Blaine, can you help me out here?

Hoot,I about forgot to reply to you.

I saw AL Esch pull his 88 Oliver at the 1969 M&W pull.He was also there with an 1850 Oliver in the 12,000 lb class.It popped a head gasket.Bob Hawk later pulled a U MM and then a 5 Star MM called The Chicken Hawk.He was involved in a D-21 AC on alky too.

Andy Main pulled a 1370 Case and one year burned 8 sets of pistons.Too make weight he had 1 front wheel.He later was an NTPA track official.

Danny Bobb pulled a great running 190 XT in the 7-9000 class and his brother Marvin pulled a D-21.Today Marvin and another brother pull D-21's at brush pulls.

Dick Obermyer pulled a 1070 Case.

I only saw Ralph Chamberlain and Carl Bosse pull once.

Kolbs from the Evansville,Ind area pulled a black or purple 1456 IH.It ended up 30 miles north of me and may still be there.

Banters pulled so many modified tractors that its unreal.My favorites were Big Ben Orange and Big Ben Blue.At one time each had 7 blown Chevs on board.Got to see them at Macon,MO alot.

The 6030 JD was probably John Bockwitz from San Jose,IL.A 320 acre farm supported this tractor.

Theres many-many more old pullers that havent been mentioned.

Blaine........thanks so much for the info, I thought maybe the reason why you hadn't replied yet was because I thought maybe you had to do some research for answers to my questions. You are absolutely right - it was John Bockwitz that drove the 6030, his name came to me yesterday while I was out mowing yard and I just didn't get back in here to say it. I knew it was someone from San Jose but couldn't think of the name until it popped into my head. Funny how CRS works, lets you have your memory back at the most unusual time while doing something else.

A couple of more names to jog your memory that I came up with;

Van Botkin - JD 4010

Charles DeClerk - MM G1350?

Do you or anyone else remember those 2 guys?

Gonna have to look for those old "Puller" magazines and find some more names.

Ole Three Bottom - you're right, this is fun! It's also amazing to see how many of us remember those days gone by and at the same time interesting to see what those guys are doing today.

Van Botikn Died here about a month ago. He was the guy who pulled the Cajun Queen. They had John Deere money in the that tractor.

Paul schwartz and the something else wd45 is still my all time favorite. He has been gone for many years now.

Later,

Will

John Thompson is still alive, many names to remember. Did pull against John when he had the 4020's. Francis Rich from Tuscola done all the work on the IH tractors when IH was starting out in pulling. Don Nolan a big IH puller, DeClerk any many more from Taylorville area. Had fun pulling against them but got to be expensive and service called and thats when dad and I quit.

I once heard that Thompson was the first with water injection. Any truth to that? It also seems like there is a link between going bankrupt and pulling. Although i get the fever quite often think i will just keep pulling the ole 12 in local farm classes. Maybe if i hit the lottery though...........

post-62-1186804583.jpg

How about these guys ????????

:o

1078255195_2ff3123e6a_b.jpg

1078255375_4a33614976_o.jpg

1079112586_ac58fa8f2d_o.jpg

Bottom photo is Danny Thomas with Satisfaction. Still pulling on the NYTPA circuit. Current points leader for 2007

Does anyone remember Bill and Robin Steele? They are from this area and used to pull in the midwest alot.

mjd

Robbie...........I, too, used to subscribe to the "Puller" magazine back in the early 70's and there's a couple more names I remember that you haven't mentioned. Maybe Blaine can help me out here too;

Andy Main - he used a Case 70 series

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Dick Obermeyer - can't remember what he pulled with, but his wife Nancy wrote a monthly column in the "Puller"

Bob Hawk & Al Isch - Oliver 88

Ralph Chamberlin - Oliver with an Allison V-12

Carl Bosse - 4 engine IH W or WD9

Don Kolb - IH 856

Banter Bros - they had a couple different ones

Also remember the JD 6030 but CRS keeps me from remembering who drove it back then

I have a stash of old "Puller" mags laying around somewhere and again CRS factors in where are they at?

How about it Blaine, can you help me out here?

Hoot,I about forgot to reply to you.

I saw AL Esch pull his 88 Oliver at the 1969 M&W pull.He was also there with an 1850 Oliver in the 12,000 lb class.It popped a head gasket.Bob Hawk later pulled a U MM and then a 5 Star MM called The Chicken Hawk.He was involved in a D-21 AC on alky too.

Andy Main pulled a 1370 Case and one year burned 8 sets of pistons.Too make weight he had 1 front wheel.He later was an NTPA track official.

Danny Bobb pulled a great running 190 XT in the 7-9000 class and his brother Marvin pulled a D-21.Today Marvin and another brother pull D-21's at brush pulls.

Dick Obermyer pulled a 1070 Case.

I only saw Ralph Chamberlain and Carl Bosse pull once.

Kolbs from the Evansville,Ind area pulled a black or purple 1456 IH.It ended up 30 miles north of me and may still be there.

Banters pulled so many modified tractors that its unreal.My favorites were Big Ben Orange and Big Ben Blue.At one time each had 7 blown Chevs on board.Got to see them at Macon,MO alot.

The 6030 JD was probably John Bockwitz from San Jose,IL.A 320 acre farm supported this tractor.

Theres many-many more old pullers that havent been mentioned.

Blaine........thanks so much for the info, I thought maybe the reason why you hadn't replied yet was because I thought maybe you had to do some research for answers to my questions. You are absolutely right - it was John Bockwitz that drove the 6030, his name came to me yesterday while I was out mowing yard and I just didn't get back in here to say it. I knew it was someone from San Jose but couldn't think of the name until it popped into my head. Funny how CRS works, lets you have your memory back at the most unusual time while doing something else.

A couple of more names to jog your memory that I came up with;

Van Botkin - JD 4010

Charles DeClerk - MM G1350?

Do you or anyone else remember those 2 guys?

Gonna have to look for those old "Puller" magazines and find some more names.

Ole Three Bottom - you're right, this is fun! It's also amazing to see how many of us remember those days gone by and at the same time interesting to see what those guys are doing today.

Hoot,

I got to see Van Botkins pull quite a bit in the 1970's.I guess he started out on a 6000 Ford in the 1960's.In 1970 he was working for Sydenstrickers JD in Mexico,MO and built the 4020 Cajun Queen I which was the hottest JD I had ever seen.Then came the 4320 JD Cajun Queen II,and finally the 4430 JD Cajun Queen III.They were all hard runners.Sydenstrickers got out of pulling in the late 70's.I knew Van was in bad health and was sorry to hear of his passing.

Charles DeClerk from Taylorville,ILL pulled a great running G-1000 MM LP in the 12,000 lb class.I saw him pull at the 1969 M&W pull and he came in 2nd place out of 30 tractors..A busted hub kept him from winning.I think he later pulled a G-1050 MM.Myron Riddle won the 12,000 class on a 1206.

After the 1206 Myron Riddle from Tuscola,ILL pulled a G-1350 MM diesel that didnt run too badly.MM was pretty heavy in to pulling back then.

I see that Don Nolan from Owaneco,ILL was mentioned.I saw him pull a 1256 IH at the 1969 M&W pull.He got 3rd in the 12,000 class.He later pulled a G-1000 MM called Yellow Fever or Yellow Runner.When the NTPA first made the 10,000 Pro Stock class Don did so good in it on LP or alky that it was made a diesel only class.He quit then.

MJD,Mike the Intimadator (top picture) is Matt Goodwin out of Iowa.I will see him Monday at the MO state fair.

I'm trying to do all of this from memory so may make a few mistakes.I have 38 years of NTPA Pullers stored away and havent dug them out yet.

A couple of more pullers mentioned- Ed Carmichael of Sullivan IN in the Ring Around Seeds special 1066 is still alive and farming. Recently got married somewhere in his 60s. Remember a guy named John Lancaster who had a D-21. Leland Gladish from Petersburg IN passed away a few yrs ago however his tractor a 966 with blower is still going- Barry Cooper from Petersburg has it now. Also remember the Judge and the Jury tractors by Ron Barga both allison tractors i believe. Two other modified puller from IN Fred Freeman from Wadesville and Larry Richwine from Brownsburg.

Here is A terrible pic of the ring around 1066 from the 1980 Nat. Farm Mach. Show.

post-447-1186883192_thumb.jpg

Lets see, Dad has a few years worth of issues of The Puller, one of them being an Anniversary issue, covering 40 (?) years of pulling history. I remember seeing the picture of Carl Bosse's 4 engine W9. All 4 engines at that time were Lincoln 460's. He had a brother that pulled too, Alan maybe? I think there was a picture of him aboard an H with a 460 Ford in it. Super lengthened frame, and super tall Zoomie style headers.

That would be kinda cool, a Nostalgia pulling class. Probably not very safe, but it would be cool!

John Thompson is still alive, many names to remember. Did pull against John when he had the 4020's. Francis Rich from Tuscola done all the work on the IH tractors when IH was starting out in pulling. Don Nolan a big IH puller, DeClerk any many more from Taylorville area. Had fun pulling against them but got to be expensive and service called and thats when dad and I quit.

Ask about John today after reading this post at King Bros IH and the shop service manager had talked to him last week. He turned 82 last week and going strong. Said his tractor went to North Carolina.

I think Myron Riddle ended up with a new 1466 after the MM. Had it worked on at Arthur Il by George Fleming while he worked at Yoder Imp. George Fleming picked up a lot of knowledge from George Coffey and Francis Rich while he worked at King Bros. He passed away from a brain tumor at a very young age.King Bros worked on a lot of tractors when the 806 came out. Had a jig set-up to weld turbo elbows and keep everything neat and clean under hood.

We were also talking about a farmer from south of Indy, Tom Wright. Brought his tractor to Arcola to get tuned. He passed away a few years ago from heart ailments. Boys are still farming and trucking. I was young at the time and can remember his tractor being spotless. Ran well too.

Thought of another puller back in the 70's and wonder if anyone remembers him; Carl McQueen and he pulled with a JD 4020.

That's about all I can pull out of my memory bank. Now, where are those magazines? :unsure:

Bowen, thanks for the pictures of Ed Carmichaels tractor. I have personally met Ed a few times and is a quite a character. Some of you might remember the interview of him on channel 10 in Terre Haute IN while on camera he lit the tractor up (no sled) stood straight up and came crashing down breaking the front end and scattering weights everywhere. All of this was caught on camera and replayed several times. Also wondered what became of the Banter Bros (Dave and Ralph) As much success as they had cant imagine them just walking away from the sport.

Dave , Ralph, and Ira Banter have retired, Ralph still makes parts for pullers, Ira pulls a MM at some antique running pulls, Ralph sure made those multi-engines go didn't he.

Theres been alot of puller topics lately and I was wondering just what became of some of these pullers I use to follow back in the seventies when I had a subscription to the Puller magazine. I know Danny Dean sold his Rooster and Dickie Sullivan passed away and the whereabouts of some of the legends of the ole days but what about these pullers:

Gale Long.........pulled a superstock JD 4230, sharp tractor with a tricycle frontend

As for me I leave Iraq August 20th and fly to Camp Shelby, Mississippi and this will be all over finally.

C ya Hydro Robbie ;)

Robbie,

Gale Long is BTO Farmer and farms from Farmersville, OH clear up to Delphos, OH and beyond at last report.

COME ON AUG. 20!

Bill

`I've really enjoyed reading this topic. It's brought back a lot of memories I had when I was a kid and the NTPA came down here to Georgia. You guys are lucky and better be thankful that you can get to go to a NTPA pull.Anyway I was looking in my tractor pulling book by Michael Bargo and one of the prettiest ones to me is a 560 called ole binder boy owned by Jerry Tuggle from Michigan.