Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hydro70

Whatever happened to these pullers from yesteryear?

Theres been alot of puller topics lately and I was wondering just what became of some of these pullers I use to follow back in the seventies when I had a subscription to the Puller magazine. I know Danny Dean sold his Rooster and Dickie Sullivan passed away and the whereabouts of some of the legends of the ole days but what about these pullers:

Grooms Smith........pulled a superstock 1066 out of Georgia

Don Berry.........pulled a superstock MF 1150 and then a 2805 out of Missouri

Gale Long.........pulled a superstock JD 4230, sharp tractor with a tricycle frontend

Koch Brothers?...........pulled a four stage turbo setup on a D21 called the Allis Cowboy

Name cant remember but this fellow pulled a sharp superstock 966 called the bootlegger out of Nebraska

Henry Piper...........pulled a superstock alcohol 560 out of Illinois.........did he pass away and where is tractor

Harry Griest........pulled a superstock 1456 from Pennsylvania

Name cant remember but he pulled a sharp D21 from Canada.......was in the puller all the time, gave Danny Dean and Sullivan all they wanted every pull

Marshall Myre........pulled a superstock 966 from Illinois.......did he pass away

Mike Mason.........pulled a superstock 666 from Ohio

Donaldson?........pulled a superstock Oliver 2255 out of Kentucky

Name I cant remember but up until recently he pulled a prostock 7120 and dominated the prostock class up until like 04 or 05, very mean running tractor, cant recall his name but the tractor was a tough 7120, throw some names and Ill know it when I see it.

Carmichael.........pulled a superstock 1066 out of maybe Ill. or In. had his seed logo on wheel cover for all four wheel, like hubcaps

Danny Deans brother who pulled a Allis Chalmer 210 superstock

John Thompson.........pulled the wicked Bad Dog IH 1466 superstock, what happened to him and his tractor

bout everybody I use to follow but if ya know some more on these old school pullers that disappeared post it up.

As for me I leave Iraq August 20th and fly to Camp Shelby, Mississippi and this will be all over finally.

C ya Hydro Robbie ;)

Robbie,I'll do the best I can.

AL Koch is still pulling a D-21 called The Entertainer plus an alky burner in LSS.In the recent Puller it showed the rods coming out of the alky tractor.

John K Burt pulled The Bootlegger 966 IH(Geneva Impl Co) out of NE and hasnt pulled in a long time.

Henry Piper is dead (last year?) and his son and grandson are now pulling the 560.

I dont know about Gale Long but remember the tractor.

I assume Don Berrey from Thompson,MO is still alive.

Marshall Myre has been dead for a long time.

R E Donaldson from Nebo,KY has been dead for a long time,early 90's.His sons last pulled the 2255 Oliver in the early-mid 90's.

I hear Harry Griests 1456 is still in the shed.

Gordon Oughtred pulled the D-21 out of Ontario,Canada.

Dannys brother was Jim Dean that pulled the 210 AC.

The 7120 Case PS was the Night Moves owned by Carl Smith from Greenfield,IN.

H Edward Carmichael from Indiana pulled The Ring Around Seeds 1066 if I remember right.

I'm almost sure John Thompson is dead.

I think Mike Mason is dead.

Grooms Smith only pulled a few years and the tractor went to Maryland and that guy J Howard Meredith is dead.

Blaine thanks much for the info, I knew you would know these guys if anyone did :D Now what is going on with Carl Smith has he just got burned out from pulling or what? Gordon Oughtred is that guy now that you got his name, he was good in his day and John K. Burt had the Bootlegger, I always liked that tractor and he was tough in his day. Do you remember the puller out of western Kentucky or to be more specific Adairsville, Kentucky who pulled a JD 6030 years ago, he now sells grain bins and dryers and is in the Kentucky Fastline advertising from time to time. Could you remember the puller out of western Kentucky who pulled prostock with a 1066, he pulled at Russell Co. fair pull a few years back but havent heard nothing out of him since then either, that night he gave a couple JDs all they wanted in that class, the JDs were the 4255 and River Rat 6030 father/son team. I think his last name mightve been Murray but dont quote me on that :mellow:

Robbie...........I, too, used to subscribe to the "Puller" magazine back in the early 70's and there's a couple more names I remember that you haven't mentioned. Maybe Blaine can help me out here too;

Andy Main - he used a Case 70 series

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Dick Obermeyer - can't remember what he pulled with, but his wife Nancy wrote a monthly column in the "Puller"

Bob Hawk & Al Isch - Oliver 88

Ralph Chamberlin - Oliver with an Allison V-12

Carl Bosse - 4 engine IH W or WD9

Don Kolb - IH 856

Banter Bros - they had a couple different ones

Also remember the JD 6030 but CRS keeps me from remembering who drove it back then

I have a stash of old "Puller" mags laying around somewhere and again CRS factors in where are they at?

How about it Blaine, can you help me out here?

Blaine thanks much for the info, I knew you would know these guys if anyone did :D Now what is going on with Carl Smith has he just got burned out from pulling or what? Gordon Oughtred is that guy now that you got his name, he was good in his day and John K. Burt had the Bootlegger, I always liked that tractor and he was tough in his day. Do you remember the puller out of western Kentucky or to be more specific Adairsville, Kentucky who pulled a JD 6030 years ago, he now sells grain bins and dryers and is in the Kentucky Fastline advertising from time to time. Could you remember the puller out of western Kentucky who pulled prostock with a 1066, he pulled at Russell Co. fair pull a few years back but havent heard nothing out of him since then either, that night he gave a couple JDs all they wanted in that class, the JDs were the 4255 and River Rat 6030 father/son team. I think his last name mightve been Murray but dont quote me on that :mellow:

Robbie,I think Carl Smith just got tired of keeping the tractor together..He went thru alot of parts the past few years.The cost to pull a PS has gone thru the roof but the prize money hasnt.More and more pullers are quitting or scaling back their schedule.The breakage this year has been real bad.

Tractor pulling is going to have to go to the floating finish line to keep the cost down some.Pulloffs eat up engines and gain the puller no more prize money.In my part of the country everyone now floats the finish line using a longer track.Its helped some but we are still losing pullers.High fuel is keeping lots close to home too.

Joel Armisted is the guy from Adairsville,KY that had the 6030.

I think I remember the 1066 you are talking about but cant put a name to it right now.Ask on here.

http://www.midsouthpullers.com/

The JD 4255 PS was Don Masterson from Grandview,IN on the Tinker Toy and his son Kevin has the River Rat 6030 JD PS.They are pulling Mid-South quite a bit.

carl smiths tractor is getting fixed he toasted the bearings in it. i helped unload the crank for it. kevin

Could you remember the puller out of western Kentucky who pulled prostock with a 1066, he pulled at Russell Co. fair pull a few years back but havent heard nothing out of him since then either, that night he gave a couple JDs all they wanted in that class, the JDs were the 4255 and River Rat 6030 father/son team. I think his last name mightve been Murray but dont quote me on that :mellow:

The 1066 could have been Charles Outland (Murray, KY). His tractor was called the Outlaw. This would have been 20+ years ago. The Outlaw is now owned by David Holbrook (Murfreesboro, TN) and is called Red Rage.

Here's a picture of the new Tinker Toy and River Rat

83268764.GSe251nG.jpg

83268617.6g8pji75.jpg

I'll never forget back in the mid seventies, seeing Marshall Myre pulling a 856 at ABAC college in Tifton,Ga.It was late in the night and the announcer had been trying to clear the end of the track of about 50 "brothers" who had ganged up down there.Here comes Marshall like a bat out of ****,at about 200 ft the chain broke,the tractor rared up and went from about 20mph to 50 in a second,Marshall's hands and feet came off the controls and he went into a reclined position in the seat.The "brothers"exited stage right and I mean EXITED STAGE RIGHT!!!I never laughed so hard in my life until later when the Unlimiteds came up.The "brothers" had decided the pits were safer and had congregated around the Green Monster at the business end of the exhaust duct peering over in it as she spooled up.When she came onspeed about a twenty foot column of flame shot up and once again the "brothers" EGRESSED the area! Me and my buddy's stomachs' were still hurting from the first incident and we were freakin' rollin'.I did't see a single"brother"there Sturday night for some reason.

Blaine, I saw The Levee Leeper, the cockshut 570 super owned by The Caroll family, pull last month in Warrenton. I don't think it came in first at all, but it did ok. They pull it in several classes, and usually a different family member runs it for each.

Andy Main, drove a 1370. E.J. Potter had his "ugly" tractors with the Allison engines. Ralph Chamberlin's tractor was "The Honker". Loyd McVey had the Super Banana. The Lucas-Voland team had an Allis WD45 and an Oliver 66 if I remember correctly, that WD45 was a stout competor in the 5000 lb class.

Super Stockers had trycycle front ends!!

Those were the days!!

Have any of you guys ever heard of Edie Olson from Ihlen Mn. ??? He went to Tomah & a hot 806 followed him home. I saw him pull it a couple times in the 80's but nothing since.

For what it is worth Mike Mason is still alive and farms about 5 miles west of me, just to the north of Wilmington OH. As far as I know his tractor may still be in the barn.

I'll throw this one in here. I'm betting Blaine remembers this one.

Randy Janke, Winside, NE, and the Movin On IH 966. Used to Dominate the 10,000 & 12,000 lb classes in the NTPA around here in '79 & '80.

Randy is still around, still farming. He had a mild stroke a few years ago & has slowed up a bit. He told me himself he still has the 966 in the shed. Randy played a key role in getting Bryan Deck & his Dream On 7220 Nebraska Bush tractor started in being a contender in this area.

I'll throw this one in here. I'm betting Blaine remembers this one.

Randy Janke, Winside, NE, and the Movin On IH 966. Used to Dominate the 10,000 & 12,000 lb classes in the NTPA around here in '79 & '80.

Randy is still around, still farming. He had a mild stroke a few years ago & has slowed up a bit. He told me himself he still has the 966 in the shed. Randy played a key role in getting Bryan Deck & his Dream On 7220 Nebraska Bush tractor started in being a contender in this area.

I got to see Randy Janke pull several times in the late 70's-early 80's.He had a good running 966.He and John Burt traveled together.

I remember Eddie Olsen from Pipestone,Minn pulling a 1066 IH.

I'm glad to hear that Mike Mason is still around.He had a good running 666.

Robbie...........I, too, used to subscribe to the "Puller" magazine back in the early 70's and there's a couple more names I remember that you haven't mentioned. Maybe Blaine can help me out here too;

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Dick Obermeyer - can't remember what he pulled with, but his wife Nancy wrote a monthly column in the "Puller"

Don Kolb - IH 856

Also remember the JD 6030 but CRS keeps me from remembering who drove it back then

I have a stash of old "Puller" mags laying around somewhere and again CRS factors in where are they at?

For Danny Bobb, unless their are more than one Bobb that are pulling, him and his brother have a superfarm, and a prostock, if I remember right. One oftheir daughters lived accross the hall and dated my room in college, in the mid to late nineties, and right in that time they had a barn burn down that both of their tractors were in. They rebulilt the tractors as the classy D-21 and the Thunder Rolls, and pretty much stay local.

As far as the Banter Bros, I think they are building some chassis and doing some engine work for a couple of other pullers. Also Tim Engler, that used to pilot the "Mission Impossible" mod, is one of the main chassis builders, and I was told he is building sprint car chassis as well. A few years ago I did see, him driving a sprint car a couple of times as well.

IHboog

What about Dave Stangle, driver of the " Solid Junk " Minneapolis-Moline G-1000 ?

Here's a pic of "Solid Junk" sorry, not the best quality. I'm thinking he had an earlier tractor, U or UB that was called "Pure Junk" Blaine, help me out here, CRS has hit big time. Was built completely from parts from a salavage yard. Looked like crap with hoses hanging everywhere & people that didn't know the tractor would laugh when they first saw it. He would sit on the line warming the tractor up & it would spit & cough & sound terrible & usually he would stop before the 50' mark & people would holler for him to get off the track. They would pull it back & on his 2nd run the old girl would take off & fly down the track & everybody would be hollering & scream. Dave always put on a good show.

post-64-1186755361_thumb.jpg

For you Mnnie Mo lover's here's a pic of the Allison Teams UB w/V-12 Allison engine. I remember the 1st time I saw this tractor pull was at the Ind. State Fair, probably late '60s. I was looking at it in the pits when a guy asked the driver what it took to drive it, the reply was " drink a 6 pack of beer first"

post-64-1186756914_thumb.jpg

Allison Team also later ran a G-1000 with the V-12 Allison

post-64-1186758419_thumb.jpg

Andy Main, drove a 1370. E.J. Potter had his "ugly" tractors with the Allison engines. Ralph Chamberlin's tractor was "The Honker". Loyd McVey had the Super Banana. The Lucas-Voland team had an Allis WD45 and an Oliver 66 if I remember correctly, that WD45 was a stout competor in the 5000 lb class.

Those were the days!!

My wife's cousin was married to McVey's son. Loyd first ran the "lil Banana" then added the "Super Banana" I can remember being at one of the last "Indy Super Pull's and he had a major break every session but always got the tractors back & running for the next session. The Sun session we were sitting 3 rows off the track about 3/4 the way down the track. Loyd was running the "Super Banana" when suddenly it gave a lurch & broke cleanly in 1/2 rightjust in front of the driver right in front of us. McVey ( his feet were almost touching the ground) calmy reached forward & shut the tractor down as if nothing had happened.

Loyd ran a trucking company (gravel trucks) here in the area and went bankrupt, always heard it was from pulling. He's been dead several years now.

Couple other pullers from this area were The Gerdes Bros, Larry & Jerry, from Sidell, IL and Don Harness from Dana, IN. All three were large farmers at the time & ended up filling bankruptcy. Don't know what happened to Larry Gerdes or Harness but the last time I talked to Jerry Gerdes he was driving OTR.

There use to be a rumor that the Gerdes were stopped on Interstate 74 for speeding on their pulling tractor, supposedly were clocked at 120 mph. I asked Jerry about that & he said it wasn't true & added "the tractor wouldn't run that fast" :lol::lol:

Sorry don't have any pics of their tractors either. Blaine if you happen to have some, I'd appreciate you posting them.

I was at the 1st "Indy Super Pull" and Carl Bosse was the 1st ractor up on his 4 engine W-9. Being the 1st tractor up in the Sun evening Unlimited class he was the test puller. First two trips down the class he took it out the doors like nothing was behind him. Pulled him back the 3rd time & he was just about 50' of the FP line head out the doors again when his hitch broke & he shot thru the doorway like a rocket. He easily was on his way to another full pull.

I also remember that night because they kept breaking the smoke machine in the 12,00# SS class. They finally decided to run the class with out the smoke machine. By the time the class was 1/2 way over you could barely see the tractors on the ttrack. Pull started at 4pm & didn't get over with till 2 am

Just saw Stangle on 8-3 at the NTPA region 2 pull here at Wapakoneta. He pulled IH 9300 in the pro street semi class. Also saw Bosse last year at a pull in Ada, Ohio - I think he pulled a semi too. dougf

BOOG - That "Allison Team" is Bill Newland (sp?) Prophetstown, IL. I DO believe that's him in the red shirt standing next to His UB. The G-1000 "WAS" a diesel that He bought at My next-door neighbor's farm sale in about '73 or '74. It sure ran a LOT better when Bill owned it than when Our neighbors owned it! :D Last time I saw Bill pull He was 75 yrs old. Around eastern Ia and northern ILL Bill used to travel with BILL and PERRY NORD also from Prophetstown. If I remember correctly one ran a W-9 with a pair of either 409 or 427 Chevies and the other one ran a Massey 55 with whichever engine the other brother didn't run. My Mom worked with Bill Nord's wife so We always rooted for them.

BOOG - That "Allison Team" is Bill Newland (sp?) Prophetstown, IL. I DO believe that's him in the red shirt standing next to His UB. The G-1000 "WAS" a diesel that He bought at My next-door neighbor's farm sale in about '73 or '74. It sure ran a LOT better when Bill owned it than when Our neighbors owned it! :D Last time I saw Bill pull He was 75 yrs old. Around eastern Ia and northern ILL Bill used to travel with BILL and PERRY NORD also from Prophetstown. If I remember correctly one ran a W-9 with a pair of either 409 or 427 Chevies and the other one ran a Massey 55 with whichever engine the other brother didn't run. My Mom worked with Bill Nord's wife so We always rooted for them.

carl smith is still pulling

What about Dave Stangle, driver of the " Solid Junk " Minneapolis-Moline G-1000 ?

Here's a pic of "Solid Junk" sorry, not the best quality. I'm thinking he had an earlier tractor, U or UB that was called "Pure Junk" Blaine, help me out here, CRS has hit big time. Was built completely from parts from a salavage yard. Looked like crap with hoses hanging everywhere & people that didn't know the tractor would laugh when they first saw it. He would sit on the line warming the tractor up & it would spit & cough & sound terrible & usually he would stop before the 50' mark & people would holler for him to get off the track. They would pull it back & on his 2nd run the old girl would take off & fly down the track & everybody would be hollering & scream. Dave always put on a good show.

post-64-1186755361_thumb.jpg

For you Mnnie Mo lover's here's a pic of the Allison Teams UB w/V-12 Allison engine. I remember the 1st time I saw this tractor pull was at the Ind. State Fair, probably late '60s. I was looking at it in the pits when a guy asked the driver what it took to drive it, the reply was " drink a 6 pack of beer first"

post-64-1186756914_thumb.jpg

Allison Team also later ran a G-1000 with the V-12 Allison

post-64-1186758419_thumb.jpg

Those were the days!!

My wife's cousin was married to McVey's son. Loyd first ran the "lil Banana" then added the "Super Banana" I can remember being at one of the last "Indy Super Pull's and he had a major break every session but always got the tractors back & running for the next session. The Sun session we were sitting 3 rows off the track about 3/4 the way down the track. Loyd was running the "Super Banana" when suddenly it gave a lurch & broke cleanly in 1/2 rightjust in front of the driver right in front of us. McVey ( his feet were almost touching the ground) calmy reached forward & shut the tractor down as if nothing had happened.

Loyd ran a trucking company (gravel trucks) here in the area and went bankrupt, always heard it was from pulling. He's been dead several years now.

Couple other pullers from this area were The Gerdes Bros, Larry & Jerry, from Sidell, IL and Don Harness from Dana, IN. All three were large farmers at the time & ended up filling bankruptcy. Don't know what happened to Larry Gerdes or Harness but the last time I talked to Jerry Gerdes he was driving OTR.

There use to be a rumor that the Gerdes were stopped on Interstate 74 for speeding on their pulling tractor, supposedly were clocked at 120 mph. I asked Jerry about that & he said it wasn't true & added "the tractor wouldn't run that fast" :lol::lol:

Sorry don't have any pics of their tractors either. Blaine if you happen to have some, I'd appreciate you posting them.

I was at the 1st "Indy Super Pull" and Carl Bosse was the 1st ractor up on his 4 engine W-9. Being the 1st tractor up in the Sun evening Unlimited class he was the test puller. First two trips down the class he took it out the doors like nothing was behind him. Pulled him back the 3rd time & he was just about 50' of the FP line head out the doors again when his hitch broke & he shot thru the doorway like a rocket. He easily was on his way to another full pull.

I also remember that night because they kept breaking the smoke machine in the 12,00# SS class. They finally decided to run the class with out the smoke machine. By the time the class was 1/2 way over you could barely see the tractors on the ttrack. Pull started at 4pm & didn't get over with till 2 am

Boog,those are pictures that I took back in 1969 and 1971 and put on here some years ago.I'm glad that you have them because I lost them in a hard drive crash.Our scanner isnt working right now so I cant rescan the old original pictures.

The top picture is Ron Perry from Bringhurst,IN pulling the G-1000 MM at the NTPA Western Nationals at Bethany,MO in 1971.He built the tractor and later partnered with Dave Stangle on it.Ron pulled it by himself for several years.I think Dave named it Solid Junk.

Back in around 1969-72 Dave Stangle was pulling a U-UB MM with a big Hall-Scott engine in the 15,000 Open class.I saw him at an indoor pull in St Louis,MO.

The next picture was taken at Pleasant Hill,ILL in 1969.Its the Allison Teams UB MM with the V-12 Allison.It created quite a stir in the pits.

The bottom picture is the Allisons Team G-1000 MM at the 1969 M&W Gear Co Pull at LaPlata,MO pulling the 15,000 Open class.They got 1st and 3rd there on a 500' track.

I put these pictures on several pulling forums 5-6 years ago and was told that the Allison Team never had a G-1000 MM,that all they had ever used was two UB MM's.I knew that they used the G-1000 MM in 1969 only,so started digging back thru old NTPA Pullers,found a story on them, and was able to win my argument.

The Allison Team was from the Waterman-Shabonna,ILL area and there was 8 members.I just dug out and old picture and the 8 members were Bill Wade,Bob Bend,Dave Bend,Steve Bend,Dave Larson,Harold Boston,Larry Buland,and Rich Larson.Bob Bend and Bill Wade did the driving.Those were some great times in tractor pulling which will never be seen again.

I'm thinking that Bill Newlon bought the G-1000 chassis from them in the early 70's and put an Allison in it as it was already set up for one.Before that Bill pulled a G-1000 MM with a turboed 800 irrigation engine on LP.MM helped out 5-6 pullers back in those days.

I have no pictures of the Gerdes brothers but did see them pull a time or two.

Danny Bobb - AC 190

Don Kolb - IH 856

Hoot,I about forgot to reply to you.

I saw AL Esch pull his 88 Oliver at the 1969 M&W pull.He was also there with an 1850 Oliver in the 12,000 lb class.It popped a head gasket.Bob Hawk later pulled a U MM and then a 5 Star MM called The Chicken Hawk.He was involved in a D-21 AC on alky too.

Andy Main pulled a 1370 Case and one year burned 8 sets of pistons.Too make weight he had 1 front wheel.He later was an NTPA track official.

Danny Bobb pulled a great running 190 XT in the 7-9000 class and his brother Marvin pulled a D-21.Today Marvin and another brother pull D-21's at brush pulls.

Dick Obermyer pulled a 1070 Case.

I only saw Ralph Chamberlain and Carl Bosse pull once.

Kolbs from the Evansville,Ind area pulled a black or purple 1456 IH.It ended up 30 miles north of me and may still be there.

Banters pulled so many modified tractors that its unreal.My favorites were Big Ben Orange and Big Ben Blue.At one time each had 7 blown Chevs on board.Got to see them at Macon,MO alot.

The 6030 JD was probably John Bockwitz from San Jose,IL.A 320 acre farm supported this tractor.

Theres many-many more old pullers that havent been mentioned.

John Bockwitz brings back good ole memories... I remember that he had a sliding seat on the 6030. He would start with the seat in the upmost position and when it got "hooked up" he would slide the seat back so he could have the most weight on the rear end. As I remember he was a very small (not real heavy) man. Don't know if it did a lot of good but he was fun to watch! The one regret was never remembering to take a camera to the pulls.

links to old pictures on the Mid-South site...

Archive Page 5

Archive Page 6

Archive Page 7 - modifieds

Archives Page 8 - modifieds

Some old pictures (from the links above) on the Mid-South site...

Gary Quick

716588c0.jpg

Dickie Sullivan

71758a30.jpg

Mike Kolb

71958960.jpg

Ok, In the modified's Remember Wayne Patchett from Frankfort, In. with Black Beauty. That tractor I think had a Massy 55 rear end and a chevy engine and trans. If it wasn't painted gloss black it was crome. Then ther was Loud Mouth Lime, Who was the owner of that tractor. Also who owned the Makin Bacon Special?

This is fun!!!

Ok, In the modified's Remember Wayne Patchett from Frankfort, In. with Black Beauty. That tractor I think had a Massy 55 rear end and a chevy engine and trans. If it wasn't painted gloss black it was crome. Then ther was Loud Mouth Lime, Who was the owner of that tractor. Also who owned the Makin Bacon Special?

This is fun!!!

OTB, I remember all those tractors. Black beauty was a sharp looking tractor I'm thinking Loud Mouth Lime was Don Harness's tractor, I seem to recall his tractor was lime green as was his driver's suit. As for Makin bacon Special, Tim Engler rings a bell on that one but I could very well be wrong on both accounts. Sure wouldn't be the first time.

Blaine, I meant to give you credit for the pics of Stangler's & the Allison Team's tractor as I downloaded them after you had posted them here. Stanglers u / UB is the one I think was called "Pure Junk". I saw him pull it several times at the Indy Super Pull and he was always a favorite. I believe the first ISP was in '71.