Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1206SWMO

Is $2500 A Fair Price For My RWA 715 IH Combine?

24 posts in this topic

I'm going to be selling my 1978 715 IH combine with the Mud Hog.It has a couple of problems.The hydro is weak but I have a complete one in good shape that goes with it.The D310 has about 500 hours on an expensive complete rebuild but the rear main leaks.It was last used in 2005 when I cut 250 acres of beans with it.A 15 ft 810 header goes with it plus lots of extra parts,belts,etc.

I figure that the Mud Hog alone is worth $1500 or more.If the deal goes thru this combine could be making quite a trip to a land far away.More later.I dont want to ask too much for it.They want it mainly for the Mud Hog and for future parts for a low hour 715 IH.

2 of them listed on tractorhouse 1- for 800$ needing engine work ,and another in fair condt. for 2000$ . you seem to be in the ballpark$$ . too cheap if anything -imo.

I agree with Tommy, a little on the cheap side considering what the mud hog is worth.

Late 715,Hydro,fresh 310,Mudhog and lots of spare parts, in this part of the country that is a steal.Big combines don't like small fields good smaller diesel machines are very sought after.

Blaine I bought my 715 for $2500 in 1999. Sold it in Jan/Feb. of 05' for $2500. It had around 2800 hours and the engine was rebuilt around 1300 (vandalism). It was in excellent shape. So for what you are asking it may be right on to a bit low having not seen it. A nice gasser would bring $1000 here.

It is worth what ever someone is willing to pay. In my area you would get scrap price for an older combine. (The large farms do not want an older combine) But some areas still farm with smaller older machinery. Hate to say it but, I have junked many older combines out for just the engine.

It is worth what ever someone is willing to pay. In my area you would get scrap price for an older combine. (The large farms do not want an older combine) But some areas still farm with smaller older machinery. Hate to say it but, I have junked many older combines out for just the engine.

Same situation here. Guess that's why combine demolition derbies are getting popular. NOT saying the 715 in question is or should be destined for such a demise. But around here people realize that newer is better, and nobody is willing to run something that small even in pristine condition. I have been buying combines for the price of the engines, or less, and derbying them and scrapping them.

Not that any of this helps you, though. :(

Blaine, do you still have the std rear axle. Was thinking if you did you might get a little more money out of it swapping out the Mud Hog & selling it seperate

Tell me this deal is crazy on new combine prices. I took my ol 4000 hour 715 with the D301 and cut $15,000 worth of wheat in 2 very short afternoons. Had no trouble but i keep it inside. When i have a lot to cut i hire it done but now days it is getting really hard to find someone to cut in our area. The combines are all gone.

Last summer at a sale i saw a 403 hydro with gas engine white cab 1970 or newer with less than 500 hours with a nearly new $500 water cooler on top of the cab bring $400 and it was smashed for junk.

If someone needs it to cut a little crop it is cheaper than a broom.

Same situation here. Guess that's why combine demolition derbies are getting popular. NOT saying the 715 in question is or should be destined for such a demise. But around here people realize that newer is better, and nobody is willing to run something that small even in pristine condition. I have been buying combines for the price of the engines, or less, and derbying them and scrapping them.

Not that any of this helps you, though. :(

The combine demo derbies are popular here to. I have purchased many 403,503, 715, 815, 915 IH for several hundred dollars. Always looking for old IH tractors with bad engines to rebuild. Most combines I have purchased would still work in the field. Dealers don't want to carry parts and if you have several hundred or thousand acres to combine you can not be broke down now days. The new Case IH combines do so much better job combining I would not even think of using an old conventional combine. The Rotary combines will easily pay for them selves in a short time over a conventional combine.

Everyone,thanks for all the input.If my combine deal goes thru you wont believe where its headed to.Just a few years back I ran 550 acres thru the old 715 with few problems.

Older and smaller combines are still pretty popular here as there are still several smaller farms around plus I'm in fescue country.You dont see high dollar combines in fescue.The fescue people prefer older conventional combines.

Some still in use that I know of are several 4400 JD's,4420 JD,F2 Gleaner,K Gleaner,45 JD,40 JD,several 300 Masseys,several 3300 JD's,even a 1953 A Gleaner,couple of 715 IH's,etc.The farther east you go the older the combines get.

There are no combine demolition derbies around here and I probably wouldnt go to one since I collect old combines.

I would buy a real clean 403 IH if I could find one close by.

Not hooked on a rotary combine yet as all i see coming out the back is dust and no straw . :blush::blush:

Well,the 715 IH is sold and is going to Cambodia.This is no Nigerian Scam!

Its going to Camboted whom has posted for years over at ytmag.Hes a missonary that works with Cambodian rice farmers.I recently helped him buy a 740 hour 715 IH combine at Parsons,Kansas.He imports alot of 930 Case tractors over there and they build 3 pts for them and use them in the rice fields.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd...st&th=19189

When you said we wouldn't believe where it was going....I never woulda guessed it was going THAT far! :blink: I'm guessin they're gonna take the mudhog off and put it on the low hour machine. Anyway, I think he's doing a great thing. The 'ol girl will be somewhere where she'll actually be appreciated.....instead of being looked at as an old, obsolete combine.

Wow!

Blaine, that's great! :D A good machine is put to use where it'll be appreciated, and a great cause is helped at the same time. Can't ask for much more than that. B)

Everyone,thanks for all the input.If my combine deal goes thru you wont believe where its headed to.Just a few years back I ran 550 acres thru the old 715 with few problems.

Older and smaller combines are still pretty popular here as there are still several smaller farms around plus I'm in fescue country.You dont see high dollar combines in fescue.The fescue people prefer older conventional combines.

Some still in use that I know of are several 4400 JD's,4420 JD,F2 Gleaner,K Gleaner,45 JD,40 JD,several 300 Masseys,several 3300 JD's,even a 1953 A Gleaner,couple of 715 IH's,etc.The farther east you go the older the combines get.

There are no combine demolition derbies around here and I probably wouldnt go to one since I collect old combines.

I would buy a real clean 403 IH if I could find one close by.

We ran around 500 acres through a 3300 JD diesel for several years. Not that bad really, just keep your butt in the seat and go. That ole girl was really set up though, and we'd about keep up with the neighbors 6600.

That's cool-- much better than having it get smashed up.

Wish there where old combines left in this are, would be so cool to buy a nice cheap one and stick it in the shed witht he 806 and H.

Aaron

didnt surprise me when u said , cambodia

NH dealer in a neighbouring town has been pulling conv NH machines into smaller pieces so they can fit into containers , going into maylasia

last i saw he was shipping some 8070

I figured that most of you would be surprised when you saw where the 715 is going.A trucker is coming to pick it up in 2-3 weeks and I would assume that it will be taken to Houston,TX for shipment.

Ted mainly wants it for the Mud Hog and spare parts.

Blaine My brother sold Ted 3 930s and they were shipped to Chicago to be put in containers.I have talked to a trucker that has hauled some 930s that Ted bought out of Montana and took them also to Chicago. Bill

I bought a 77 model 2 years ago with a 15ft 810 header diesel, air 2500 hours super nice 1700.00 in illinois

Long time ago, My Dad, Uncle and I custom harvested beans and wheat using a 151 and a 202! I sure do miss those good times! Sure wish we still had them. Oh well..Dave