Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cliff Neubauer

Spring planting weather thread

Worked about 80 acres today. Looks like I may start planting it in the AM :unsure: Right or Wrong :huh: Looking at the WX for next week and it looks BAD. Should at least get some in now...might be May before we get back in after this week <_<

Boog are you rolling. Looks like ChadH is so I must not be too out of my gourd :lol::lol: Already called nuts by one guy so I could use a little reassurance :lol::lol: Guess we will see who is nuts in October ;)

Well the tractors are back in the fields today. Had just a little over a half inch of rain and it dried up good. Some of the heavy clay (black jack) is still wet but the sand is doing good.

Worked about 80 acres today. Looks like I may start planting it in the AM :unsure: Right or Wrong :huh: Looking at the WX for next week and it looks BAD. Should at least get some in now...might be May before we get back in after this week <_<

Boog are you rolling. Looks like ChadH is so I must not be too out of my gourd :lol::lol: Already called nuts by one guy so I could use a little reassurance :lol::lol: Guess we will see who is nuts in October ;)

I'm hoping that the 30% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow will miss. If so hopefully I'll be able to work a little ground in the morning and get the dealership down to get the planter going tomorrow afternoon. They said to have them come down a day or two before we started rolling hard, that way if there are some bugs to work out we won't be waiting.

Ihboog

aaron we maybe both crazy. eating lunch now. might get to it yet today, but probably tomorrow

chadh

Cold and windy here..............Lucked out with the Nor'easter here, didn't get any snow and not much rain, considering the 1"+ of rain and 3 to 6" of snow they were predicting.

Nobody is in the fields here, things are soft and will be for a while yet. Everyone is ready to roll though when the weather does break. Was trimming fence rows, until it got to wet to get around with the truck, so we have been tying up projects in the barn/buildings.

I'm hoping that the 30% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow will miss. If so hopefully I'll be able to work a little ground in the morning and get the dealership down to get the planter going tomorrow afternoon. They said to have them come down a day or two before we started rolling hard, that way if there are some bugs to work out we won't be waiting.

Ihboog

Sounds like it's going to be a good time to get some in before the deluge next week <_< Can't be too many bugs in a Kinze...pretty simple planter. Did you get precision meters for it?

aaron we maybe both crazy. eating lunch now. might get to it yet today, but probably tomorrow

chadh

Couldn't stand it and put in about 45 acres this afternoon. Was a sunny 74° here and went to a windy 50° by 5PM. Got rolling right at noon. This was a quad stack Pioneer 34A20 BT/RR/RW/LL. A few guys started today in our area. The way another guy and I looked at it is, what's the difference if you start today or Sat. The weather is near the same short of a late frost that would get corn planted today but not Sat. So git-r-done :lol:

Aaronqus%20Pics%20152.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20153.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20159.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20157.jpg

i went ahead and started planting also. got out of the tractor at about 6 and needed my jacket.

chadh

Ground temp got all the way up to 55.6 today, got the duals on the 2+2 and hooked on the feild culitvator, and worked some furrows shut and went over to the ground i'm custom farming and went around one feild seeing how wet the wet spots are, went around them so the coop can come put AA on tomarrow or the next day, Might try planting by this weekend if it drys out some more here at home.

Yesterday about noon a neighbor borrowed our Phillips harrow and started working bean stubble with it then about supper time they got a To The Max harrow to demo and were running both. It was still pretty wet where they were running by after running the harrows I think they will be able to start planting this afternoon. We are going to finish spraying today and may start working some ground but I rode around on the four wheeler some last night and didn't see anything that got me too excited to get started. We've got a decent chance of rain for Sunday and it would be nice to have a good start by then.

Saw tonite after leaving hospitial that where they tried to spread in bean stubble and rutted it up pretty bad .

Corn planting started around here today. We may go tomorrow if it is dry enough. It looks like it is going to be in the 70's through next week starting Friday.

spread fert. on some corn ground today and cultivated 20ac. Thats about all thats ready, and even this gorund was too wet, but its a real dry chalky soil, so you cant hurt it too bad by getting on it too soon. I may open up another patch tomarrow, but man this is going to be a slow process, everythings soo wet and rain in the forcast for sunday, tues. and wed.

COOP got the AA on the ground i'm custom farming tonight, Hope to start planting friday after work, still have no seed delivered but the boss's is coming tomarrow Afternoon, hope ours comes tomarrow too.

i should be started by friday or a little later ,been fighting these little rains for 2 weeks .it is really a little too wet to run ,but im going to press it a little . rain in the forecast mon-tuesday .

Looks like the weather this coming week will be a shut out here <_< Put all new shovels on the field cultivator today. Think there were 8 good ones left I hung onto. Went from 9" Ultrawings to 10.5" Ultra Point's. Went and worked some end rows to see if anything would fall off :lol: Ground worked up beautiful. Worked around all the wet holes and got the muskrat dens spread out :D The two wet holes are the only spots I found soft. Could have worked them if needed but no use in packing them down. Thought about starting on NH3 but I remembered what Boog said about Fridays and not starting anything you can't finish. He's got me thinking about all the jinx's :lol:

The FC is a 26½ foot. Thought I would try the 7120 on it to compare it to the 1586. I could pull it in 9th gear anywhere and 10th if it wasn't too rough. The 15 seems like it has a bit more grunt but it's kind of hard to tell exactly. Never have pulled the FC with anything else and I can say the front wheel assist works better especially in the sandy ground.

I think it was monday the ground was dry enough to get into the fields and i just couldn't resist! Usually put the FWA SAME or the 1805 on our f/c. Its a 22 or 23 ft, can't remeber. Anyways, i was just dieing to put the 806 on the f/c and see how the super six pulled it. It usually gives our SAME a good workout and that's a 130hp tractor.

Had the 806 in H-1 in direct and dropped that f/c into the ground. I was blown away! The 806 didn't even act like there was a thing behind it! Saturdays its supposed to be in the mid 70's, maybe a few pics and a movie since i don't work.

Aaron

Grandpa finally started working ground today and I was out there working some tonight and sure was a good feeling, was beginning to think we'd never get going. He may start planting tomorrow if he thinks it's fit. The neighbors had their planter going today but looked to be just a little too wet so hopefully the wind today dried it out enough. Good luck to the rest of you guys getting your crops in, nothing like a late start to put your mind at ease :D .

Fields are starting to dry out pretty good around here. Just a little bit of snow left in the ditches. Some of it along fence lines finally melted tuesday for the most part. Still muddy along them. There was some corn planted in this area. The first was Tuesday (17th). Lighter ground and this person is usually the first guy to start.

Might start NH3 Friday on my corn on corn. Did the bean stubble last fall. NH3 is $530 ton cash, Pre pay for this spring was $410. Coop has no 28% to sell, only those who pre-paid and booked it will get it.

I usually figure when my neighbor starts to plant, I'll wait three more days then start.

How many times have we all said to ourselves when we're planting our last field... " should just be starting,it's really workin good now"

Good luck everyone and have a safe spring!

I am on a roll now. Two days of planting and a whopping 30 acres done. It is still to wet to hammer down.

IHboog

Ground conditions and temps. are finally coming around here. Started field cultivator today and am going to start a brand new 1200 ASM planter tomorrow. Rollie

We got started planting late this afternoon, a neighbor has been running two 12 rows in the area since yesterday morning but I've sprayed enough ground the past two days to know that even on tiled ground it's still wet enough that you've got to watch where you run. We updated our planter to the E Set disks this spring and from what little we can tell by digging behind the planter they seem to have made a nice improvement and my brother said according to the monitor the row to row variability is about 30% as much as it was before.

The first picture I took this morning spraying a burn down on some rye cover crop where we chopped corn silage last year.

post-366-1177031509_thumb.jpg

post-366-1177031557_thumb.jpg

post-366-1177031679_thumb.jpg

post-366-1177031739_thumb.jpg

No planting going on up here yet that I have seen. Most are just getting oats in the past couple days. Have seen some guys putting on gas & but that is about all. I hauled a couple loads of crap today & it was almost to wet for that. Got the planter pretty much ready to roll, just have to service a couple tractors. Seems like the days just fly by anymore & ya never get stuff done. Started rideing pasture fences yesterday, grass is slow growing this spring.. need some warm days. They are talking rain up here for the next few days, best to leave the planter in the shed.

Nothing happening in the immediate area, yet. 10-15 miles northeast and southwest is a different story. Still a couple or three days out here. Hopefully start putting on custom NH3 tomorrow pm or Sat am.

The guy to the east of me planted about 90 acres today ground worked up real nice ,the farm across the road is still a swamp and sits higher than the other farm .

Ihboog

Sounds like it's going to be a good time to get some in before the deluge next week <_< Can't be too many bugs in a Kinze...pretty simple planter. Did you get precision meters for it?

chadh

Couldn't stand it and put in about 45 acres this afternoon. Was a sunny 74° here and went to a windy 50° by 5PM. Got rolling right at noon. This was a quad stack Pioneer 34A20 BT/RR/RW/LL. A few guys started today in our area. The way another guy and I looked at it is, what's the difference if you start today or Sat. The weather is near the same short of a late frost that would get corn planted today but not Sat. So git-r-done :lol:

Aaronqus%20Pics%20152.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20153.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20159.jpg

Aaronqus%20Pics%20157.jpg

i think it was the tractor you wanted to run :D

Picture says it all.

Coulda started rolling last night without any issues, but held off til today.

post-137-1177041367_thumb.jpg