Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cliff Neubauer

Spring planting weather thread

Was snowing this afternoon, still some snow around on the ground, very muddy and wet out there...

jeremy

finished NH3 yesterday and it is snowing and rainning here today, about an inch so far.

NW Iowa here and theres at least 6-7 inches on the ground. It will be awhile till planters will be in the field. The markets action today makes no sense to me.

For the past hour or so we've been getting a mixture of rain, sleet and snow but the ground is warm enough the snow is melting on contact. I heard today that there was some corn planted up around Pella, Iowa yesterday and I hope they had fun planting it because I'd say they are going to get to do it again.

Talked to my friend Sunday and he has 2 circles of Green Chili planted and the Farmers here in the valley are starting to plant Cotton this week. Weather has been breezy and in the 80's. Dryer than all **** but this as all irrigated country.

It is 30 degrees out as I write this. It's been snowing and blowing most of the day. The ditches in some areas are blowed full of snow. Only know of one guy thats been in the field in my area. He got 12 acres of oats drilled a few days ago. He said parts of the field was still froze. The fields were mud before this last cold snap, and now we are covered with 6 to 8 inches of snow. Except for that field of oats nothing has been done in my area. Most people thought he was joking at the coop today when he said he got his oats in.

The weather has been so crappy around here, not to many people have even got equipment out. There has not been any decent days to work outside.

In this area our planting window for corn is up to the 10th of May. Last year some guys started around the 12th of April. Not going to happen this year. Looks like the last few days of April at the earliest this year if the weather gets straightened out.

Two words sum it up here "WET & COLD". Ground was just getting dry enough to start thinking about working but rained last night & most of the day. Forecast is rain thru Sat, up to 3" & a chance of snow mixed in.

Only thing we have done in the fields is repair tile. Replaced over 400' this week along with several smaller repairs. IHboog did work about 5 acres where his corn plot was last year but it was plenty wet

Were hoping to get started planting by 4/5 but will be lucky to start by 4/19

Weather just plain SUCKS now. Was just about ready to go last week then we get cold weather and now we're getting rain, definately going to be a late yr. around here. Have only seen 2 fields planted and that was at the south end of the county but haven't seen anything else worked. Hopefully get going by the middle of next week.

Cold again today, never got to 40ยบ :( and had snow showers. Forecast for possible snow accumilation by Sat. Sure doesn't make a person want to plant corn.

I can remember back in the early to mid '60s we were planting beans on Memorial Day - back when Memorial Day was Memorial Day & was listening to the race on a new fangled transistor radio :o Got to snowing so hard that when you turned around at the end of the field the marker track was covered by snow about 1/2 way thru the field. :o

I hauled a load of seed beans to Clay City, IN (west central IN, a little to the south) and the dealer over there said he knew of 100 acres of corn in the ground. He was telling this story while unloading in a heavy snow shower...

If we miss the rain Sat, might be able to work here Tues. I hope I can go north to continue with the custom NH3 application before that.

Rain04-13-07.jpg

Heres what it looks like at 7:25 pm Friday evening April 13th in SWMO.This is looking north towards the old home place where I grew up.This is my neighbors newly planted corn field after 1.5" of rain today.Its 36 degrees and is thundering like crazy in the south.We may get 1" of snow tomorrow morning.We will get another hard freeze Sunday morning.

This last Monday it was a beautiful 50ish degrees. My uncle, cousin and I took some tin off of a shed roof on some DNR ground that we farm. The shed will be demolished by the DNR so they said we could have it. Tuesday and Wednesday we got a foot of wet heavy snow. Today we took the old wood shakes and siding off of my old chicken coupe. The tin will go on it and it will be used for "junk" storage. It was a beautiful 50ish degrees again today and the snow is melting fast.

Woke up to this...... <_<:angry:

post-60-1176650795_thumb.jpg

post-60-1176650896_thumb.jpg

And it sounds like more could be on the way..... :o:angry:

I had 1.4" of rain from Friday night through yesterday, windy today with temp at 57. It will be past mid-week before I can no-till corn if it doesn't rain again. I planted over 500 acres last year between Apr 10-17th without a rain delay, what a difference a year makes! :ph34r::huh:

We are still wetter that water here. Most fields still have water puddles in the chisel tracks. A year ago between April 6 and April 13, we planted a little over 1200 acres of corn without any delays. That was actually the second year in a row that we were never rained out while planting corn. I guess this year we are paying for it. If it stopped raining now, it would probably be the 25th of April before we could put the first seed in the ground. Definitely not a good situation.

Good luck to everyone with putting your crops in, and stay safe!

Bill

In a drought down here! Had a good chance last night but all we got was .3 Sure is depressing!

We are just about as wet as Bill is with alot of standing water on flat fields that aren't tiled but this week's weather sounds like it's supposed to be pretty nice so maybe by late in the week we might be able to get back in the field. We've got the corn planter just about ready and I'm going to get the bean planter out tomorrow which should only need a day or so worth of work to have it ready. We've got about four hour's worth of pre-emerge spraying left to do but otherwise we should be able to park the sprayer until we are done planting which will help to speed up planting a little bit.

april 15 and when i'm working out side, i'm dressed like it was feb 15. right now its 34 degrees. the river is barely back in its banks from being on the low flats last week. the nor'easter so far today has been all rain (thank you Jesus) but the forecast for tonight is still 10-15" of snow and 25 mph wind and more snow tomorrow. a little of the gravel ground around has been plowed, but nothing planted as yet that i'm aware of. seedings should be in, corn planting usually aims for the last few days of april/first of may to start. temps aren't supposed to hit above 50 for another week.

Might be able to get in the field the end of this week, its starting to gray off nicely, Ground temp hit 51 degrees today, yesterday it was high of 43 and low of 31, Air temp was 62 and 24. Got alot of crap to haul yet and try and get my fertilizer on the planter working yet.

Calling for 12-18' of snow tonight and 45 mph winds. Might start to warm up by next weekend.

Finally got 2" of rain friday nite. Temps are normal, mid 70s in the day, 40s at night. Corn really shines now as it was badly needing this. Most have already sidedressed so it willl take off. Beans held up well to last weeks low temps, but all I can say about the cotton plot is that it isn't dead. Next week we'll start planting for real and if it is sick then, I'll replant. Tom

were still cold today , had a low of 31 this am,we just missed the big east coast storm,as we got 2" of snow sat night, but it was gone by noon.

we have sandy ground ready to plant corn on , and have some new seedings done,but have 2 more on heavey clay, they will have to wait a wile after last weeks 1.8"

still trying to haul manure and take out some fence rowsand bury some stones.

had 15 new heifers freshen in the last 3 days,running out of huches :o:wacko:

Paul

Finally a nice day here!! All sunshine and 71 degrees and just got back from a parts run on the Harley. Still going to be a few days if we don't get any rain that is forcast for tomorrow. Still up in the air on the wheat so far as to any freeze damage.

Saw 1 spray rig folding it's booms tonite ,I guess they are trying to control winter pernials it's getting really green around here but way to wet still .

worked some ground today, looks like maybe wednesday or thursday we might start planting. would like to run tommorrow and wed. morning to get ahead of the planter enough. probably double check over everything tommorrow and get the semi filled up with water and starter. slight chance of rain tommorrow night.

chadh