Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cliff Neubauer

Spring planting weather thread

Some sugar beets in here. Ground said to work up nice but is froze 2 inches down now. Don't know what will happen as some seed did sprout. Old saying around here is you never have to replant beets planted in March. We will see this year.

Cold and snow here in Nothwest Ohio..... :o<_<

post-60-1175791461_thumb.jpg

Lovely spring weather........ :lol:

The snow melted today

It got at least down into the upper teens here last night as it was only 18° at 10:00 this morning when I hauled a load of calves to the vet for dad. The frost last night hit the alfalfa pretty hard and it's supposed to get even colder tonight, I think down to 13° which will within a degree or two of being a record low. Back in '97 we had 20" of snow later than this in April which makes this weather seem not so bad.

It got down to 29 here this morning, calling for 23 tomorrow morning and 25 Sunday morning, the only good thing I've seen is the yellow rocket growing in the corn fields was wilted, maybe these next 2 nights will kill it! Highly unlikely though! :lol: I feel sorry for guys that have wheat jointing and corn that has some size to it like in TN, AR, MS, AL, GA, TX, etc... It will be interesting to see what the markets do Monday after digesting all the freeze events of this week. We had some pretty hard snow showers late this afternoon, was actually sticking on gravel roads. Global warming my a$$! :lol::ph34r:

When I was mowing yard this evening I noticed the wild parsnips along the edge of my yard were all wilted like they were sprayed. I hope it kills them, but it wouldn't surprise me if they survived. Nothing like mowing yard on Good Friday, April 8 wearing insulated coveralls and a sockcap. I guess it could be worse!

Well we had a nice cool down yesterday. Very little rain yet, rumors of using that drought word again. Supposed to have rain tomorrow and Sunday. Lows in the lower 40's to upper 30's. Before that we were in the upper 80's, hot and humid. Everybody's been running wide open, fertilizing and working up the cane.

About an hour north from me lots of corn planted and it's up about 4-6" as of a week ago.

Looks like the weather this coming week will be a shut out here <_< Put all new shovels on the field cultivator today. Think there were 8 good ones left I hung onto. Went from 9" Ultrawings to 10.5" Ultra Point's. Went and worked some end rows to see if anything would fall off :lol: Ground worked up beautiful. Worked around all the wet holes and got the muskrat dens spread out :D The two wet holes are the only spots I found soft. Could have worked them if needed but no use in packing them down. Thought about starting on NH3 but I remembered what Boog said about Fridays and not starting anything you can't finish. He's got me thinking about all the jinx's :lol:

The FC is a 26½ foot. Thought I would try the 7120 on it to compare it to the 1586. I could pull it in 9th gear anywhere and 10th if it wasn't too rough. The 15 seems like it has a bit more grunt but it's kind of hard to tell exactly. Never have pulled the FC with anything else and I can say the front wheel assist works better especially in the sandy ground.

post-32-1175915393_thumb.jpg

post-32-1175915438_thumb.jpg

Sure do remember that thread several years back, I spent WAY too much time adding to it. Forget if it was boog or HD that was saving it to hard drive.

This cold is getting really old, not to mention the dampness. There's lots to be done here so we're chomping at the bit, went out and gave chiseling a go this morning, have some spring chiseling that needs to get done soon. It woulda gone, but I decided to pull out and wait til tomorrow AM. Oats may go in tomorrow if the wind dies down, otherwise shoot for Monday.

Lots of machine wrenching to get done, field work to do, all those acres to plant, all before a date of May 1st comes along and I'm off to other commitments. :)

Started putting on NH3 today. Everything worked right, FOR A CHANGE! Got a new Case (Trimble) 500 lightbar and Ez-Steer system for the 9170 and it worked great. Sure makes that job easier. Will have pics tomorrow. Still a little damp, but it not too bad. Calling for 18 degrees tonight, so probably wont get started until 9 or 10 in the morning.

Got to 29 here today but the sun melted the snow.I must be an optimist 'cause I bought a planter.

we have been working the lighter stuff,and hauling manure,we just got on some of the clays befor it turned cold,was chisheling some clay yesterday and turning up 1.5" of frost.......this is april folks . the ground is white here this am with a temp of 21. the wheats toast , and the hays burnt bad, no early pasture here.

Paul

Snows back.

Got down to 18 here this morning.That probably damaged or killed all of the wheat.I know of several thousand acres of corn that was planted the middle of March thats gone too.They were 2 weeks ahead of the insurance date so its theirs.

Its 25 degrees and I'm getting ready to start working corn ground in a few minutes.Its needs to lay a day to dry out some.Its going to be pretty cold on the old 1456.I'll start planting corn tomorrow afternoon and will finish up by dark on Monday if things go right.Theres a chance of rain on Tuesday.

Places in central Kansas had 4-8" of snow on Thursday.McPherson had 8"!!! We are sure having some crazy weather.

Well, it was 21 here early and all the yellow rocket is turned completely upside down on the stalk ground where yesterday it was just wilted! :D:lol::ph34r: I've NEVER seen this happen before, where we no-till beans in standing stalks we usually have a thick stand of the rocket, and after killing it with burndown there is lots of fuzz that likes to get in screens in front of the tractor radiator, looks like we won't have that problem this year. I expect the wheat is toast around here too as it was jointed, I feel sorry for folks who have wheat, I haven't raised any since '92 when head scab hit it and I took a dollar/bu. dock on mine for low test weight, seems like it's hard to raise wheat here now and most everyone has quit it...

It was around 18-20 with a wind chill of 6* this a.m. and wind outa the NNW at 12mph and sure seems darned cold. Pretty blue skys and lots of cold sunshine with some of the BFO's in the field working ground. Took a temp reading of some of our ground and it is showing 47* now. kinda cool to be planting I think.

21 degrees at 3pm today, wind is blowing about 20mph and its snowing about 1-2" per hour. 15" on the ground since yesterday morning. Looks like cold and snow all week.

Looks like the weather this coming week will be a shut out here <_< Put all new shovels on the field cultivator today. Think there were 8 good ones left I hung onto. Went from 9" Ultrawings to 10.5" Ultra Point's. Went and worked some end rows to see if anything would fall off :lol: Ground worked up beautiful. Worked around all the wet holes and got the muskrat dens spread out :D The two wet holes are the only spots I found soft. Could have worked them if needed but no use in packing them down. Thought about starting on NH3 but I remembered what Boog said about Fridays and not starting anything you can't finish. He's got me thinking about all the jinx's :lol:

The FC is a 26½ foot. Thought I would try the 7120 on it to compare it to the 1586. I could pull it in 9th gear anywhere and 10th if it wasn't too rough. The 15 seems like it has a bit more grunt but it's kind of hard to tell exactly. Never have pulled the FC with anything else and I can say the front wheel assist works better especially in the sandy ground.

3-4 Medium, thats pretty good speed for 26 1/2, I pull my 4500 26 1/2 in 7-8 low or 1-2 high with the 6588, ( thats 4th low or 1st High)

At least a week or more off before feild work around here, ground is dry but froze about 2 inches, at least 2 weeks before the ground is warm enuff for corn, have not even looked at the alfalfa yet, to scared.

26.6 for an overnight low with a WC of 19. lots of cold sunshine again now but lots of frost showing on the wheat fields. Wheat has not jointed here yet as was late planted so not given up yet. Trees showing some wilted leaves and the canadian thisles (sp) are also showing wilting. AIN'T IT FUN FARMING? So much hangs on this damned weather!

3-4 Medium, thats pretty good speed for 26 1/2, I pull my 4500 26 1/2 in 7-8 low or 1-2 high with the 6588, ( thats 4th low or 1st High)

At least a week or more off before feild work around here, ground is dry but froze about 2 inches, at least 2 weeks before the ground is warm enuff for corn, have not even looked at the alfalfa yet, to scared.

Our ground isn't terrible tight in most spots. Have some black gumbo in a few low areas. 9th gear would fit well in those spots and the lighter 10th works OK. I hooked onto the chisel plow and worked some goose levies back down and it would pull it in 9th gear. I remember running a 7140 years back and it would pull a 13 shank in 9th where mine is a 9 shank. That was out in the sandy soils south of here.

NH3 and field cultivating going on here all over. Plan to start NH3 tomorrow here.

It got just dry enough here yesterday that we sprayed some Canopy and worked a little bit of ground but it started raining late yesterday afternoon and we've gotten a good soaking rain overnight.

Got 8 inches of snow so far with temps hanging right around 32-32 degrees. I scooped out the feed bunks and the sidewalk in front of the house door and the snow won't come off of the shovel. The rest is gonna melt where it sets. supposed to be in the 40's with partly cloudy skies after today. If anybody wants to come visit, they better have a high clearance or 4 wheel drive vehicle :D .

We got into the field Tuesday. Hit a few fields that were getting weedy. They weren't too bad, but with the wet forecast they would be out of hand before it gets dry enough again. We got the stalk field where we pastured cows since October ripped yesterday also. I had six tenths of a inch of rain last night with a chance the rest of the day and agian on Friday. 50's for highs the rest of the week and 40's over the weekend. It will finally get to 60 and above on Monday. This may be like 1995. We planted corn for one day in April and didn't plant again till June 4th.

Our ground isn't terrible tight in most spots. Have some black gumbo in a few low areas. 9th gear would fit well in those spots and the lighter 10th works OK. I hooked onto the chisel plow and worked some goose levies back down and it would pull it in 9th gear. I remember running a 7140 years back and it would pull a 13 shank in 9th where mine is a 9 shank. That was out in the sandy soils south of here.

NH3 and field cultivating going on here all over. Plan to start NH3 tomorrow here.

I couldn't pull our 9 shank disc-chiisel any faster with our 7240 than I could our 7120's. THe only diffeence is I just ran it deeper. Usually ran 8th I think, or what ever gear was 4.5mph.

Raining here today.

IHboog

Been snowing here for the last two days now. Sure isn't much fun calving in this mess. Really a heavy wet snow... have gotten about 3-4 in I would guess, but it is hard to say because a lot of it melts when it hits the ground.

Right now it is 47 degrees and been raining all day. The past few days have been cold but nice. Actually saw a few people out in the fields yesterday. One was already drilling beans! The other one had a drill but wasn't sure if it was bean or oats he was sewing. I won't be out untill it dries up, I don't even have anything ready yet. Also got a new JD tractor for tillage, can't wait to get that out in the fields. I say another 2 weeks and we will be hitting it hard.