This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IH Farmall 340 Zenith Carburetor Solenoid?

2 posts in this topic

I have an International Farmall 340 tractor. It is equipped with a Zenith carburetor:

International part number: 367700 R91

Zenith (assembly) number: 12225.

I purchased a "Hygrade" rebuild kit from a local vendor which says it is for “Zenith Carburetor Series — 61 – 62 – 62 – 67 – 68 - 161 – 267,” and it seems to be the correct kit. I Googled “Zenith 267 carburetor,” and found that the Zenith website states that,

“The Model 267 design permits operation at extreme angles without flooding or starving the engine. A compact fuel shut-off solenoid can be supplied to prevent the engine from dieseling.”

So I contacted one of the dealers listed on Zeniths "dealer locator," and asked some questions:

1.  Can I order a fuel shut-off solenoid (or solenoid kit), which I can install in my carburetor in place of the “main passage plug?”

2.  The carburetor kit from the local vendor is missing a couple parts: the well-vent jet and the economizer jet.  Can I order these (or a rebuild kit which includes them) from you?

3. What are the prices?

The Zenith dealer's reply nearly knocked me out of my chair:

"Thanks for your email. Yes, we can help.

We stock these solenoids and they are $129.95 each.

Sorry, but we don't sell internal parts to carbs separately (can you imagine

the internal cost of selling someone a pair of jets?). Seems to me that the

best way to help you is to either sell you a brand new carb or pick your

existing one up on a UPS Call Tag and rebuild it."

I have another International tractor already equipped with such a solenoid, and a replacement for that was less than thirty dollars (from the local International dealer--which is not known for its merciful pricing structure).

I decided that if I can not acquire the solenoid I requested for a considerably lower price, I will continue to endure the inconvenience of shutting off the valve at the fuel tank when I shut off my tractor engine at the end of the day.

I also decided that unless the Zenith guy could offer a rebuild at prices more competive than he did for solenoids, I believe I'd be better off to purchase a new tractor.

Does anyone know where to find a solenoid and some misc parts for my carburetor at reasonable prices?

Thank you.

Well best way to find spare parts like those is start checking out local Dealers or Salvage Yards or Junk Auctions Thats how i got the parts i needed