Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jailerman

Farmall 560

Hi all, I've been looking around for one of these with the diesel engine. I've never had anything to do with this series of tractor and was wondering what to look for or stay away from. Are there any problems with the diesel engine version of this tractor or should I look for a gas model? They never had a full 3 point hitch option either was there? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Scott

some guys get along good with them but i think they were junk. ive got a gas for a chore tractor. we had a 706 with a 282 in years ago. happy to see that POS go. cracked a head every other year. all it did was plant corn and mow hay. and holding down that stupid glow plus button is a PITA.

There are 2 kinds of people when it comes to a 560 people who really like them and people who hate them.

I personally have had one here on the farm since i was a kid and when we used it hard it was not a tractor you could work hard or send a "field hand" out on with not much expericene.

Now we just spray and pump water with it mostly. It works great for that as it is really stingy on fuel and will run a 10 inch pump on 5 quarts of diesel per hour. I had a 560 LP that would use 2.5 gallons per hour doing the same job and it constantly needed a spark plug or something.

Keep the fuel clean and it will run a long time. I installed new injector tips and they were aprox $80 each and that it start a lot easier.

Another tip is the early 560's made in 1957 are 50 yrs old yes 50 yrs old

I liked mine, alot. Like Hagan said it is real easy on fuel and an idiot can figure them out. Yes you do have to hold the glow plug button in for 30 seconds+, yes with a wide front end they don't exactly cut around real well and they are a little tougher to get up on, but I still would take mine back any day. I'd rather have the 560 instead of the 930 Case I have now. ;) Trade anyone?! :D Think of it as baseball cards, I'll trade you my no-name Bob for your Nolan Ryan rookie card. :lol:

Thanks guys, I remember when I was a kid a couple neighbors had them, both gas and diesel and was thinking of getting one to paint up and use as toy. My wife says I have enough toys but I don't think thats possible. I don't see putting it to alot of use other then a little mowing and puttering around the yard.

we had one and i loved it ,, used to haul forage wagons and such, nothing to hard for her,, neighbor tore the t/a out of her dumba_ _

My grandad bought one new in 1960 I think , Last anyone knew it had over 20,000 hrs on it ! It was used to grind hog feed mostly ,I remember a couple head gaskets 1 overhaul and a broken crank ,and was it easy on fuel :)

I have one that my Dad owned till his passing in 2003. This was his main tractor for years & was used for everything, pulled a 540 4-16 plow 14' 370 disk & hauled wagons. Now I have it & the 540 plow & still use it to haul in some loads, so a little plowing & pull a 16' spring tooth with it. I am not sure on how many hours as Dad put a couple tachs in it but it has to have way over 10k. I know for a fact that it has never had the engine apart but it has had one ta, clutch, & new fourth gear. There is a video of it pulling the 540 plow on my putfile site, just takes a little bit for it to load to play it.

post-62-1168726700_thumb.jpg

post-62-1168726848_thumb.jpg

Had both a gas and a diesel. Both with loaders. The gas was easy to start but sneezed and wheezed every time the clutch was let out, if the "heat riser" in the exhaust manifold wasn't up to snuff. They also had a habit of icing up the carb.

True the diesels were a little harder to start, but they ran better after they started.

Wish I had the diesel back.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.

Mikem

I liked mine, alot. Like Hagan said it is real easy on fuel and an idiot can figure them out. Yes you do have to hold the glow plug button in for 30 seconds+, yes with a wide front end they don't exactly cut around real well and they are a little tougher to get up on, but I still would take mine back any day. I'd rather have the 560 instead of the 930 Case I have now. ;) Trade anyone?! :D Think of it as baseball cards, I'll trade you my no-name Bob for your Nolan Ryan rookie card. :lol:

I agree with what the others are telling you. It was the worst diesel IH ever made with only 3 main bearings. I think it is an IH truck engine jerked over to diesel. It started terrible, even in the summer. I just bought a 560D in August for $1800. It had 9400 hrs. and smoked a lot. It was fun to drive around. I pulled the engine And have installed a gas 264 cu. in. IH truck engine. Now I can wind up to 4000 rpm and develop about 140 hp. My duiesel engine sits on a pallet. If you love the red paint enough you can even love a 560D.

Ken Ryan Oxford NY

I've had a 460 Diesel for years, but wanted a 560 when I bought it, trouble was all the 560's I looked at were ragged out. I'd buy a good 560 Diesel today if I could find one close to home, they just sip fuel... ;)

i have a 1963 560d my dad bought new. the only mechanical thing done to it was a head gasket replaced in 1992. i have started this tractor in the single digits using only the glowplugs. it fires off immediately and runs like a summer day. i will keep the glow plug button in for 40 seconds or so after its running when its that cold. i seem to recall that the glow plug meter on some of these tractors have too much resistance or something keeping the plugs from getting hot enough. jim.

Do be afraid of a 560 there was nothing wrong with them. We had 5 of them from the first year to the last year. Why most people hate them is they could not leave the pump alone and turning the older ones up cause head gasket problems. Nothing ever wrong with bearings or any other part of the motor if you changed oil.

Ron

Thanks again for the replys. I'm kind of looking for a narrow front too. Is the diesel engine in the 460 about the same as the 560 or is it a total different beast? How about the flat top fenders was that an option or taken from later model tractors?

Thanks again for the replys. I'm kind of looking for a narrow front too. Is the diesel engine in the 460 about the same as the 560 or is it a total different beast? How about the flat top fenders was that an option or taken from later model tractors?

The 460 has a 236 cubic inch engine where the 560 has a 282. I've been told that the difference is in the stroke. My 460 has a 560 head on it, we found this out when putting in new exhaust valves and a new head gasket a few years ago. The 460's don't start as well as the 560's or 656's because of that stroke difference. Flat top fenders were not factory equipment, mine has the elephant ear fenders that were on them when they were new. They have a rolled edge on top which is 4-5" wide...Hope this helps.

There are 2 kinds of people when it comes to a 560 people who really like them and people who hate them.

Quess I belong to the later group ;) . Never cared for them when they were new & don't care for them now. That said, I had thought about buying a 560D to run the augers with before getting the 756. Still need another auger tractor - a 560D? Possibly :o:wacko:

unfortunately in my area most of these tractors have been rode hard and put away wet. in the past i looked at a few of these tractors for my neighbor to buy and what we found were tractors that got used engine oil out of pickups or semi's. never a hyd. oil change, could never have been greased, air cleaner never serviced, worn out car tires on the front, worn out mis-matched rear tires, baling wire holding things together, cant see the engine block except where leaking fuel washed the gunk off. oh' and dont forget the bucket seat from a chevy vega bolted on. it wasnt just 560's, we saw many others like this and the sellers wanted 2500 to 4000 bucks for these things. i guess a lot of this kind of care is due to their finances [lack of] or the way their daddies raised them. jim.

unfortunately in my area most of these tractors have been rode hard and put away wet. in the past i looked at a few of these tractors for my neighbor to buy and what we found were tractors that got used engine oil out of pickups or semi's. never a hyd. oil change, could never have been greased, air cleaner never serviced, worn out car tires on the front, worn out mis-matched rear tires, baling wire holding things together, cant see the engine block except where leaking fuel washed the gunk off. oh' and dont forget the bucket seat from a chevy vega bolted on. it wasnt just 560's, we saw many others like this and the sellers wanted 2500 to 4000 bucks for these things. i guess a lot of this kind of care is due to their finances [lack of] or the way their daddies raised them. jim.

I hate seeing cobbled up iron of any color. Never could see any excuse for that. Fix it right the first time. Use it but there is never any need to ABuse it. Many 60 series IH's around here years ago but don't see many these days.

Same goes for pickup truck abuse. Never could see any reasons for pickups beat all to death in a matter of just a few years. Amazed at the trucks I see around town that were new at the same time or up to several years after I bought mine. Look like they are almost ready for the bone yard and a lot of them have never been off the highway.

I do know though that cattle will take a toll on sheetmetal and can understand how chore trucks can get dented up pretty easily.

The IH gas start diesels & the 560s are the reason this area went from mostly red to almost all green. :(

The IH gas start diesels & the 560s are the reason this area went from mostly red to almost all green. :(

I wouldn't want to farm with one, but they are fun to play with on augers , etc...When we are filling the drying bin I just let my 460 run all day long, we are unloading every 30 minutes or so anyway!

I wouldn't want to farm with one, but they are fun to play with on augers , etc...When we are filling the drying bin I just let my 460 run all day long, we are unloading every 30 minutes or so anyway![/size][/color][/i][/b]

Yea, I can see where they would make handy auger tractors. LIPTO that can be turned on/off from the ground as well as started from the ground. That's one reason we like the 756 over the 1206 on an auger. With the 12 you had to climb up a step or two to start & see the tach. With the 7 everything is reachable from the ground ( at least when you'r 6'3" :wacko: )

With a 560D on an auger, you just about have to leave it runing all day, or else you will wear your thumb out holding the glow plug button every time you start it to dump a truck. I don't hardly ever put my 560D on a auger for that reason. The 560G is a lot handier for auger work, but mine is too loud with a straight pipe. Neither one has any trouble at all turning a 10" by 71' full of 20% corn....

Bill

I'm probably not qualified to gve an opinion on 560's...so I'll make a few comments...that's all I promise.

About 1964 my uncle who ran the farm where I grew up fell in love with the IH fasthitch system. He was working part-time for a local IH dealer and thought that the fast hitch was the "cat's meow".' He traded the 'ol '48 W-6 off on a gas 560 narrow front and got the 4-16 fast hitch plow and 4-42 rear mount cultivator with it. I came home on a vacation and he was plowing for wheat. He had about 60 acres to plow and we got busy on it....him with the 560, me with the Super MTA and a pull type JD 3-16 hydraulic plow which was the rig he'd been plowing with for 5 years and I'd plowed with before. To keep it brief, I hated the 560, and the plow that went with it. I tried to like it but it was like plowing with an 9N Ford...any tough spot you had to shallow up the plow, pull the TA and maybe even shift down a gear...no extra traction...no extra power and a chumsy long humming thing I just didn't like. He got diesel 560's later and I never got hooked on them either. My opinion is it's no wonder John Deere overtook IH in sales if those things were supposed to be their "Big Hosses". Oh, that fast hitch rear mount cultivator was a piece of junk too. Sorry, these comments sort of sound like opinions, don't they?

I'm probably not qualified to gve an opinion on 560's...so I'll make a few comments...that's all I promise.

About 1964 my uncle who ran the farm where I grew up fell in love with the IH fasthitch system. He was working part-time for a local IH dealer and thought that the fast hitch was the "cat's meow".' He traded the 'ol '48 W-6 off on a gas 560 narrow front and got the 4-16 fast hitch plow and 4-42 rear mount cultivator with it. I came home on a vacation and he was plowing for wheat. He had about 60 acres to plow and we got busy on it....him with the 560, me with the Super MTA and a pull type JD 3-16 hydraulic plow which was the rig he'd been plowing with for 5 years and I'd plowed with before. To keep it brief, I hated the 560, and the plow that went with it. I tried to like it but it was like plowing with an 9N Ford...any tough spot you had to shallow up the plow, pull the TA and maybe even shift down a gear...no extra traction...no extra power and a chumsy long humming thing I just didn't like. He got diesel 560's later and I never got hooked on them either. My opinion is it's no wonder John Deere overtook IH in sales if those things were supposed to be their "Big Hosses". Oh, that fast hitch rear mount cultivator was a piece of junk too. Sorry, these comments sort of sound like opinions, don't they?

Elden we have heard one either loved them or hated them and your opinion especially is a valued one to me. Dad had a 560 gasser, and it was more tractor than the new 656 he had was. I liked the ol 560 pretty well. But you are correct, they were behind the times. Sort of a warmed over MTA era tractor with a six cylinder engine.

Well I am one of the people who love the 560 I have a 1958 560 gas and don't want anything to do with a 560 deisal. My 560 state so good in the winter it's my daily chore tractor hauls a load of manure every day and plants a lot of beans in the spring. Just can't beat a 560 and I know I can't farm without It !!!