Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick G.

MAGNUM Advice, Revisited

43 posts in this topic

Well, a week or so ago I talked of an auction that I was to attend where I planned to bid on a nice 7120 MAGNUM 2WD. As some of you may recall, I preset my bidding limit at $29,000.00, so I wouldn't be tempted to go crazy on the bidding.

WHAT A JOKE. I didn't stand a chance. The dam thing sold for $37,750.00!

I thought this was ridiculous.

I guess the owner is happy with that.

For any one looking for nice clean used tractors, at a sane price... I just don't know.... I think I'm going to give up for now. I'll just keep using what I already have- a perfectly fine 1456 and perfectly fine 1086.

UNBELIEVABLE!

I've heard those Magnums hold their value but wow. Good thing you've got 2 other running tractors and weren't needing that 7120 right away.

IH986

Don't give up you will find one for your price, that magnum had low hours on it so i think that was a big factor in brigning what it did.

Jeremy

Not trying to start a fight but I feel one of the reasons that the Magnum tractors are holding their value so well is because so many are disappointed in the MXs. I know if we were to buy another CIH it would be a Magnum, one MX was enough!

Not trying to start a fight but I feel one of the reasons that the Magnum tractors are holding their value so well is because so many are disappointed in the MXs.  I know if we were to buy another CIH it would be a Magnum, one MX was enough!

I'd agree with you Boog, but prices on the MX's are holding up pretty good too. Compare them to the 8000 series Deeres hour for hour and year for year. :D

Chads

I'd agree with you Boog, but prices on the MX's are holding up pretty good too.  Compare them to the 8000 series Deeres hour for hour and year for year. :D

Chads

yep, in this area the Deeres bring quite a bit more money size per size :D

8xxx vs MX

I'd agree with you Boog, but prices on the MX's are holding up pretty good too.  Compare them to the 8000 series Deeres hour for hour and year for year. :D

Chads

8xxx vs MX

I'll not argue, well, not right now, because there aren't hardly any used MX's around here to buy. They didn't stay on the dealers lots long this fall. However, you can't deny that the older Magnums are more than holding their own against any make.

Chads

Chads

8xxx vs MX

I'll not argue, well, not right now, because there aren't hardly any used MX's around here to buy. They didn't stay on the dealers lots long this fall. However, you can't deny that the older Magnums are more than holding their own against any make.

Chads

O.K. Now I'll argue :D

Did a quick fastline search on 01 MX240's and 8310's.

MX240's regardless of hours 80,000 to 89,500, there was a full page of examples.

01 JD 8310, regardless of hours 83,500-89,000 3 examples

I'd say the resale on the MX's has held up pretty well. <_<

Chads

O.K.  Now I'll argue :D

Did a quick fastline search on 01 MX240's and 8310's.

MX240's regardless of hours 80,000 to 89,500, there was a full page of examples.

01 JD 8310, regardless of hours 83,500-89,000 3 examples

I'd say the resale on the MX's has held up pretty well. <_<

Chads

i'll have to agree, the dealer where i'm at wont let an MX240-270 go for less than 80K, most are 99-01 models with 2-3 thousand hours. i think their resale took a hit in 00 and 01 when the word of all the problems of the 99s came out but as people are realising that those problems have been resolved the resale has been going up. kind like the NH Genisis didnt have a good resale for quite some time but as word spread of thier duability they only got more expensive to buy.

Boog, I think you must have gotten a bad one, there are a ton of MX's around here & I have heard no complaints yet. As with anything though it only takes one lemon to turn a fella away. My Dad drove nothing but chevy trucks till he got a lemon, then got a Ford & said he would never go back.

Boog, I think you must have gotten a bad one, there are a ton of MX's around here & I have heard no complaints yet. As with anything though it only takes one lemon to turn a fella away. My Dad drove nothing but chevy trucks till he got a lemon, then got a Ford & said he would never go back.

The 7240 that we traded in on the MX-240, would have ran circles around it any day, as well as the 8310 that the MX-240 was traded in on. I am not real impressed with the 8310, but at least it is a **** of alot more tractor than the MX-240 was.

Give me the old 7240 and our old 7220 back and I'll be happy.

IHboog

:o

boog, Was your MX a 99' ?

Not trying to start a fight but I feel one of the reasons that the Magnum tractors are holding their value so well is because so many are disappointed in the MXs.  I know if we were to buy another CIH it would be a Magnum, one MX was enough!

That's a good looking Magnum Chad, how many hours on it?

The 7240 that we traded in on the MX-240, would have ran circles around it any day, as well as the 8310 that the MX-240 was traded in on. I am not real impressed with the 8310, but at least it is a **** of alot more tractor than the MX-240 was.

Give me the old 7240 and our old 7220 back and I'll be happy.

IHboog

That's a real common occurence. Most of the old 40's were running 240HP on the PTO a lot of the 50's were running 280HP and above. So, you go from a 240 PTO HP tractor to a 240 gross engine HP tractor and ???????

Chads

I had a customer sell out a week ago, 1994 7220 AWD, 1200 hoursm 49,600$  WOW

i may have one better, 8930 FWA 2000 hrs literaly like new, still plastic on the seat 65K. never even made it to the lot. :o

Before we bought our MX-240 we were looking for an 8930 MFD but ended up with the MX because it wasn't that much more expensive and since we use it mostly for row crop work it works alot better than the old style. When figuring the resale value you need to keep in mind that a new Deere is about $10,000-15,000 more expensive than an MX so with the MX's holding their own against the Deere's really says something. From what I've seen our 240 will do anything our neighbor's 7240 will do but since it's heavier and has larger tires it seems to lug more but that's just because it has less slippage.

A good friend of mine and his brother have two 01 MX-240's. They're on the 10 year warranty program so they're doing a full oil analysis every year, everywhere. So far they haven't done anything to either tractor other than normal maintenance. The only area of concern is that one tractor is showing up in the "yellow" on the front differential. They have the front duals, so that might be a factor. They're doing the same jobs they did with two hot 7240's, dynoed and 245HP. He says that they'll get the same job done, but the '240 doesn't feel like it has the "snort" the older tractors did. This might just be more a weight and traction issue than anything though, as with the front duals and big radials, you're not gonna do much spinnin.

Chads

I have only spent minimal time in an MX, but have logged hundreds of hours in a 7120 and a 7140.

I have heard from some MX operators that the MX's do not seem to have the snort the old Magnums had, but it may be due to the lower RPM engines in the new MX's as well as the computerized governing and shift. I know the MX literature promotes lower RPM engines doing the same work as the older faster RPM engines.

May be I'm just blowing smoke, but nonetheless there may be something to it.

One thing hurt the MX more than anything....EPA <_< They can't, just send out a tractor putting out gobs of HP.

Boog you are 50% right at least in our area....The Magnum is HOT....yes probably from the MX deal but they are the tractor to own. When I bought my 1660 Chuck Crane and I talked some about this. Magnums are great but he has buyers for MX's he can't find and the dealers do too. Jokingly a year ago my cousin the CIH salesman offered me a 7120 when the 1086 was getting the PTO shaft changed. It was a 5000 hour tractor and he wanted $36,000 for it :lol: I laughed my A$$ off for about an hour at that price. Little did I know the market was off and running at that point.

Running Red that 7220 was a bargain in the Magnum market right now :wacko:

One thing hurt the MX more than anything....EPA <_< They can't, just send out a tractor putting out gobs of HP. 

Boog you are 50% right at least in our area....The Magnum is HOT....yes probably from the MX deal but they are the tractor to own.  When I bought my 1660 Chuck Crane and I talked some about this.  Magnums are great but he has buyers for MX's he can't find and the dealers do too.  Jokingly a year ago my cousin the CIH salesman offered me a 7120 when the 1086 was getting the PTO shaft changed.  It was a 5000 hour tractor and he wanted $36,000 for it :lol: I laughed my A$$ off for about an hour at  that price.  Little did I know the market was off and running at that point.

Running Red that 7220 was a bargain in the Magnum market right now :wacko:

EPA , and the fact the deere boys can use powerchips :angry:

CNH reported sales up something like 45% in the Ag market in 04. In the year ending report they said the main thing that stopped them from selling more is the fact they simply didn't build enough!!! I think this is especially true with the 2388 combines, but there aren't many new MX's sitting around on dealer lot's either. And if you call on a used Magnum or MX Magnum or Maxxum, there's a good chance it's already gone.

Chads

I think The BOOGs had the same problem with Their MX240 that DAD had with His 4010 & JD R. A Mechanic that didn't Give a XXXX! Oh Well, If Dad would have had a new red tractor in 1971, or 1972 He might have stayed farming.....and THAT would have screwed everything up! But He sure loves His Teamster Pension. Teamster's had a provision many years ago He even got credit for the 3 yrs He was in the Army in WW II.