Old Binder Guy

IH Tractors on Montana Farm

9 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Ya'll sorta "snickered" at my last picture of Mississippi Delta innovation with the salvaging of the old CAT 12 grader-----and converting it to a pull type grader a few pages back.

Maybe you gentlemen will be more appreciative of this unique and distinctive Bar-B-Que grill that I spotted in downtown Sledge, Mississippi last week.  We didn't try the Bar-B-Que---------------but the hamburgers (and the flies) were pretty good.

And--------------------the beer musta been extra cold 'cause dey wuz selling the absolute hel! outta it while we wuz eating our burgers on an outside picnic table.

Don't nuthing go to waste here in the Delta-------------not even the pig lips (considered a delicacy!!!):o

591c79f1af275_bar-b-que_SledgeMs.JPG.419fb869186339241ae3d11bc78079b4.JPG

Sledge, Mississippi is located in the north Delta area and is the hometown of country music great Charley Pride.  It is also in the heart of some of the best Mississippi Duck Hunting country----------I was up that way looking at a hunting/recreation tract.

DD

Anson, That barbecuer is portable! Now that's a nifty idea! And if they'd used a self propelled unit and left the engine on, they could take the blade off and sell barbecue all over Sledge! Here are a couple of barbecuers I had in my files.

Barbecuer.jpg.e802c8ef59767db48cd0e26f33fb5963.jpg

591d0435a465e_Barbecuer2.jpg.df2bc2a4d4526ad527210e18c4c4d756.jpg

591d044a1213c_Barbecuer3.jpg.f867104984e253c75c0c1e7c70865e15.jpg

I always remember that Charley Pride was from Sledge, Mississippi. He later lived in East Helena, Montana. The Colonel Kid works in the same building Charley worked in, although their products are different than when Charley worked there. And Charley played semi pro baseball here. Gary;)

591d03dd19895_CharleyPride.thumb.jpg.b4deb3235600d5461cf5f48e6fa8dd1c.jpg

Delta Dirt    0

I snapped a picture of a comemorative plaque honoring Charley Pride there in Sledge.

Local store keeper said they didn't see much of him since his folks died.  Think he lives out around Dallas now.  Sure like his music.

DD

Planted a few hills of cotton tonight. First night I have gotten home before dark since last week some time. Anxious to see how things turn out. 

Delta Dirt    0

Cotton is just coming up down here- - - - - so you are in step with the locals.

down in the Delta where I wuz born- -

The crop wuz Cotton

and the liquor wuz Corn

life might have been hard;

But the living wuz Good

down in the Delta, where I wuz born!!!

DD

8 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Cotton is just coming up down here- - - - - so you are in step with the locals.

Same here in west Texas.  May actually be some sandfighters running today cause we had some pretty good thunderboomers roll through night before last and wind forecast for today.

We've all seen the photo of the IHC 2-F Farmall prototype experimental tractor. This is the "Farmall H" size.

591f05b9716c8_IHFarmall2-F.jpg.3b098789570b02a5ff1069e79a606407.jpg

This photo was on Facebook last evening on the Old Farm Tractor site. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of one of them actually working before. They were a pretty stylish design. This one is on rubber. It is of the "Farmall M" size. This had to be circa 1938?

591f05c0cf61d_IHFarmall2-Fplowingtrialsprototypeexperimental.jpg.cbb0ce2aa94a9e25f001c2fdb149e7ad.jpg

This is what actually transpired, though. And this one is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm. Gary;)

591f05e52bc0e_FarmallMTootparkedafterseeding5-12-17_edited-1.thumb.jpg.f59cf46156b749f548bbf4472a99cfc6.jpg

George 2    0

The M prototype with styling similar to the Oliver 88 was produced in late 1938. This is the unit in the picture directly above your M tractor. IH had a meeting in late 1938 and it was decided that the Oliver 88 styled M and H were going to be too expensive to manufacture profitably. That is why Raymond Lowey the famed architect was called in the to do the restyling to a less costly version. That was done and there was a lot less sheet metal on the production tractors. Notice also that the 8 spoked rear wheels on the prototype were reduced to 6 spokes. It wasn't until 1956 that they went back to 8 spoked wheels.    

Fred B    0

actually if you count the spokes from top to bottom it looks like 5 for half way ,(6 showing) it looks like a 10 spoke wheel on that M size farmall. although i have seen photos of 8 spoke wheels on that photo of the 2 row experimental cotton picker on the M, then there is the 8 spoke wheels on the F12,and 14.

Here is the IH  "pre-Farmall A" or a 1-F Farmall experimental prototype tractor from 1938.

591fc5cbbed7d_1-FIHCFarmallexperimentalprototype.jpg.b8c050c533ab1480a6a10376e198b477.jpg

Here is a F-20 that may be a little hard to cool and crank?

591fc5e1e5509_F-20IHCFarmallwithtreeupthroughframeinTennesseeLeonardBoyer.jpg.65f1c5bf6ea7b16f242bde41fc23b60c.jpg

I remember sitting on International 600 tractors, brand new on the showroom floor. I always thought they were a neat tractor. This beautiful example is out plowing.

591fc5fb7cdaa_IHMcCormick600dieseltractorplowingDaveEcklund.jpg.d308dfb1f7b6f2ac991d4df536756829.jpg

The same gentleman owns this IH Farmall Cub. Today was International Harvester Tractor Friday on Facebook's Old Farm Tractors. Gary;)

591fc66328e5e_IHFarmallCubLorinBurch.jpg.d8ea3423311a68c6550d9f7bd64cb1bf.jpg

Delta Dirt    0

George and Fred have good eyes to pick up on the spokes on the prototype M.  I never noticed.

I see they all had the square seat with the back rest- - - - - but appear to have no suspension???  Sure could have enjoyed a back  rest on the pan type seats.

The F- 20 is my type of restoration- - - - - rusty/dusty; and the tree acts as an anchor to keep the wind from blowing it away.

DD

That's a nice variety of pics Gary. I drove 4 hrs to try and but a plow once and when I arrived it looked similar to the F20. Quite a let down. It was advertised as being in good shape (it wasn't) and the owner said nothing about a tree grown around some major components when I spoke with him on the phone. 

Storms rolling in here this morning. I was waiting on some rain clouds to apply Nitrogen on my sweet corn patch so hopefully it can get rained in.  My applicator is a coffee can but it works.  This is old fashioned "side dressing" C31E8B05-6037-4AAE-8039-857C947FE1CB_zps

Edit 5 minutes later...Good thing I got out there early because the rain is coming down in sheets now so there shouldn't be any trouble dissolving the white N crystals in the above picture...

Delta Dirt    0

Corn looks good Hammer.  My first planting is a little taller than yours- - - - but with a few skips.

I spot planted one row- - - - - And planted 3 more rows yesterday.  Need to be working on grass control this morning- - - - - but it's probably not gonna happen.

Your cotton will need a side dressing of N- - - - - - - but not near as much as for corn .  Something in the 120 units is typical for cotton- - - - - - - - And I have  always heard you can't put too much fertilizer or water on corn- - - - - it will process it.  Too much nitrogen on cotton will result in all stalk and little fruit set.

(I use the same type fertilizer applicator and chart as you use).  I do have a unique shielded sprayer on the end of my flat tip nozzle working off of my electric sprayer on the 4 wheeler.  Consists of two $0.99 plastic dust pans from Wal MART, hand full of screws, and a little Gorilla tape.  Works great by just sweeping along close to the ground.

DD

I actually sprayed the corn patch with Lexar. It keeps the weeds down really well. I still have some N left over for the cotton. Too much applied will hurt corn depending on the formulation. You can't see it in the picture but I normally apply it a couple inches away from the plant so it will soak into the soil. Contact with the plant can burn it some.  What I get is highly soluable in water so it moves into the soil really easily. 

Delta Dirt    0

Not familiar with Lexar.

I sprayed corn over top with Atrazine and Dual- - - - - - - corn is pretty clean.  Nut grass is coming strong in watermelons, peppers, okra- - - - - - -with no residual herbicides applied.  I did cover everything (excluding corn) with the little red plastic Solo cups and blistered with Gramoxone a couple of weeks ago.  Gave young plants a head start on grass.  (shame I ruined the cups by punching a hole in them and anchoring them to the ground with welding rod; otherwise they would have come in handy for the 4th July):ph34r::blink:

Old Codgers have to be innovative.

DD

Delta Dirt    0

Ran up on this picture of my watermelon patch from 2015 a couple of days after I had used my hand wand with the "dust pan" shield.  Most of that grass is nut sedge or crab grass----------but I burn whatever is there.   Uhhhhh-------can't remember exactly what chemical;  but it is not Round-Up;  just a contact kill with no trans-location into the roots.  

5922391aa56fa_watermelons20156-23-15_3.JPG.89fcdbcceacab3099c38956587d1868d.JPG

Will have to find a picture of the dust pan spray shield--------------think somebody said that you can buy something similar from some of the supply houses.  I must have a total of near $3.00 in my apparatus.

I am still watching for the arrival of those old abandoned wagon wheels stashed away behind the barn up there in Montana----------but, looks like you just can't find reliable shippers anymore.   I shipped watermelons to Montana the first year via steamboat----no luck;   then last year shipped via our old reliable and trusting friend Roger in his AutoWagon.   Don't have any idea of what Roger did with those melons-------------now it looks like he won't even come here on the board and visit with us anymore!!!!!

We have been lucky with our rainfall for the last couple of weeks------------just getting light showers.   Sure do see some heavy stuff that has moved through the mid-west area recently.   The Big River stands about 6 ft above flood stage here locally (that's out of it's banks, but behind the mainline Levee)---------most likely will see more rise coming after this week's rains north of us up in the mid-west areas.  Hoping everybody's crops are doing OK.

DD

Delta Dirt    0

back to Sledge, Mississippi and Charley Pride-----see alot of markers for blues musicians scattered across Mississippi;  but not that many country musicians.

59223f5e97e3f_CharleyPridemarker_Sledge.JPG.96477cc4b6b70519a61f68c9272af387.JPG

No doubt Charley Pride is one of the best.   Sledge is like most other small country towns here in the Delta----------just about everything is dried up here but the water tank-------------and the beer coolers.   Sledge is located in one of the premier duck hunting areas of the south.

DD

Anson, Thank you for that sign of Charley Pride's from Sledge!

Here's a 1930-31 Model A Truck with an Oliver Hart Parr row crop tractor loaded.

Oliver Hart Parr row crop tractor on 1930-31 Model A Ford Truck Gary W.jpg

This is sure a neat 1930 Model A "Semi!" Gary;)

1930 Model A Ford semi tractor with flat bed trailer, Cindy Rhine photo.jpg

I can't quite get the combination this morning. I have a tractor on a Montana farm, I've been mowing with. And I have an IHC tractor in Canada. But no IH Tractor on a Montana Farm picture today. This is Mike's Craftsman lawn tractor. Speaking of Craftsman, I hear Sears & Roebuck is "pulling the plug." It was the mightiest commercial "goodies" company on the face of the earth when I was a kid. I don't know what happened, but it may go "up to the top" as to why? Craftsman always meant high quality and you could get parts for an old Craftsman item years and years later. So, I guess, "Lifetime Warranty" may expire before my life?

592592112faf1_CraftsmanSearslawntractormemowing5-23-17red.thumb.jpg.fb0122be62c42e990fb49e9567ede793.jpg

And that IHC Tractor, a 45 Mogul plowing in Canada. Gary;)

592592d27e553_IHCMogul45plowinginCanadaBrianFlynnred.thumb.jpg.f596661148940a2e5f88ec36ea7cea53.jpg

The cotton spiked on Monday Anson 

8366846D-12C4-4A8A-A593-AF8320C0DC83_zps

Delta Dirt    0

Looking good Hammer.

I am thinking "spiked" is corn terminoligy.

But I have always been confused about corn terminoligy.  I always talked about corn "tasseling"- - - - - - - And someone corrected me saying:  "corn tossels" and "women tassel".

I don't know- - - - - still puzzles me??:blink:

DD

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Looking good Hammer.

I am thinking "spiked" is corn terminoligy.

But I have always been confused about corn terminoligy.  I always talked about corn "tasseling"- - - - - - - And someone corrected me saying:  "corn tossels" and "women tassel".

I don't know- - - - - still puzzles me??:blink:

DD

I'm going to leave that one alone...... ha ha ha

Fred B    0

Oliver Hart Parr row crop tractor on 1930-31 Model A Ford Truck Gary W.jpg

That Oliver row crop was a fine tractor in its day, foot clutch, wedge lock wheel hubs, steering wheel at a nice angle, automatic steering brakes, tall back wheels, a well designed engine, some of its faults were turning brake pedals were on each side of the tractor, (couldn't operate right  brake and clutch at the same time) and even though it was built from 1931-47 with very little change,(only the last 8 years it was upgraded to a model 80), to my knowledge it was never available with a starter until the last few years and then only as a diesel.  

That is an early one.  It still has the horse hair air cleaner (the mess kit looking object near the carburetor), notice the front skid rings tied inside the back wheels.  I do hope they chain it down.  

Here is a photo of my mother (in dark dress) and her friends all single farm girls (8 young ladies, one had kodak duty) servicing her brother's (my uncle) Oliver H-P 18-27 (same model tractor as above) in 1932 at her home place.  Kodaking on a Sunday afternoon.  Tractor has mounted 4 row cultivator and 3 row front  mount middle buster (unmounted) in foreground.  

59265a0cd3365_Oliver3wheel18-27.thumb.JPG.8adaa06e5b067932ab7226a393d008d8.JPG

Sorry about the picture disappearing.  I was editing earlier and apparently when I pressed save it lost it.  Also, it's been so long since I looked at that picture I had forgotten that is was a 3-wheel 18-27 so it is not exactly like your 18-27 on the Model A truck.  And also, I found out you can't believe everything you read even in the books.  I found in print that says the dual front wheel 18-27 has an oil bath air cleaner where you can clearly see that one has the dry horse hair type air cleaner.  It also says the extra ring in the back wheels was added in 1935.  Which I guess could still be true.  They probably just used up all the older parts.  

Fred

Fred B, I couldn't open the photo of Katie on Oliver 3 wheel 18-27. I'd love to see it!

I ran this Oliver three wheel tractor at Belgrade late one afternoon until after dark. We had a full moon, so I could see where I was driving and son Mike could run the binder, so we kept going. I'm assuming between this tractor, Katie's and the one I posted above, we're sort of comparing apples to apples? The one above that I posted on the Model A truck apparently has it's lugs in a burlap bag, also on the bed of the truck, near the skid rings? Gary;)

592634a4d610c_BarnesOliverHartParrtricycle_edited-1.thumb.jpg.7457f6e01bffe05bfa436aab63be02bb.jpg

Delta Dirt    0

Fred's picture was there earlier- - - - now it shows as a link.  Won't open for me either.

DD

mader656    0
10 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Fred's picture was there earlier- - - - now it shows as a link.  Won't open for me either.

DD

Sorry wrong one....

59230fb3d39a0_OliverHartParrrowcroptractoron1930-31ModelAFordTruckGaryW.thumb.jpg.14d4e5fdc03b4b04f12bcace4b14510f.jpg