Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Volfire99@Yahoo.com

782 Cotton Picker

5 posts in this topic

My neighbor acquired three of these with the engine, frame, final drives and wheels. He used the engine from one, on a pump to irrigate his sod farm. He was told they had the 310 diesel and was wondering how much trouble it would be and if one would fit in place of the 282 in his 706.

Thanks again people for the help on getting the injector line for his other 310, 706. The cotton picker 310's have a different injector pump and lines so he couldn't rob one.

I am curious about the hp on the cotton picker 310. I have thoughts about getting the third one to run a generator head.

It is not a cost effective engine swap! The front, and rear engine plates and the oil pan and oil pump will need to be changed out to make that engine work in a tractor. If you are replacing an existing 310 it is not a bad way to go because you will have the correct parts but if you have to gather up the extra parts the cost is prohibitive.

Been there and tried that!

ED

PS

The engine from a 422 or 420 will be a better choice if you can find one.

I may be wrong but I thought the 782 had a 358 engine.

My uncle did it on a 706 Gasser. As Ed says, it was a lot of stuff to swap and come up with. Fortunately they had acquired a late 706 w/ 310 complete but it had a hole in the block. They got it for 400 dollars so they had everything needed without having to run around the country to gather parts.