Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EJH1466

M&W add-power governor

9 posts in this topic

Guys,

I've been noticing a few M&W add-power governors on ebay lately. Did these work good? I've never ran a tractor with one on it before. Anybody have experience with one? What's different about them than a regular IH governor on an M or H?

Eric

Personally I think they are not worth what they go for. The stock governor is just as good when kept in good shape. The only negatives that a stock governor has, is the weights & weight pins wear, and the springs often need to be replaced. Honestly they are not worth the cost in a restored tractor that may see a 0-10 hours per year. The only real benefit to the M&W is for pullers..

So, what's the difference mechanically between the two? What's the advantage in pulling?

Eric

I'd even question the need for an AddPow'r governor on a pulling tractor. The reason M&W developed them was to allow faster response to increases in load so Your engine holds RPM better. Dad's '51 M has one and it does pickup RPM faster than the Super H which doesn't have one but then the SH runs faster and has more RPM to catch. Once the throttle blade in the carb is wide open that's all the governor can do.... but when plowing. discing, baling, etc. the governor gets a constant workout.

Just put on a MW gov. on this year, its more responsive than stock gov. cost is about the same to rebuild old gov or get a MW kit.

Just put on a MW gov. on this year, its more responsive than stock gov. cost is about the same to rebuild old gov or get a MW kit.

smpuller, Where did you find a rebuild kit for your M&W governor? I have one on a L-SM that needs rebuilt. Have found some individual parts but no kits. Guy I talked to said there were 2 different weights used, one still available but the other isn't.

TIA,

boog

I've installed the Thompson X-TRA power gov kits in some "H" & "M" before with huge results.This is a 4 weight roller bearing gov kit that comes with all the parts you need to get good throttle responce.This will bring it to life compaired to the old two weight gov.

smpuller, Where did you find a rebuild kit for your M&W governor? I have one on a L-SM that needs rebuilt. Have found some individual parts but no kits. Guy I talked to said there were 2 different weights used, one still available but the other isn't.

TIA,

boog

Paul Marlatt 765-938-2227 can get parts for you.

TIA,

boog

Paul Marlatt 765-938-2227 can get parts for you.

Thanks