Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IHman1256

DT 429

Was wondering why IH didnt use the 429 in the 1256-1456's? I dont know anything about these engines as far as reliabilty and such but that would have really put IH a step ahead I think, not that the dt 4047 was a bad engine but I think putting a 429 in the 12's would have really seperated them from the rest of the field. Any comments.

I wonder if one would have fit, by external block dimensions? I guess I was always under the impression that the DT429 was a rather hefty block, externally. Maybe that's just cause I've only seen them in large frame tractors & equipment.

Anyone know how long the DT429 was produced? They must be way more common on the construction end of IH.

I wonder if one would have fit, by external block dimensions? I guess I was always under the impression that the DT429 was a rather hefty block, externally. Maybe that's just cause I've only seen them in large frame tractors & equipment.

Anyone know how long the DT429 was produced? They must be way more common on the construction end of IH.

i was always told that all the gold demo 1456 tractors had the injectors and inner pump parts in them out of a 429. and when a farmer would purchase a regular red non gold demo 1456 he was totaly dissapointed with it.

we just laser out our injectors!

Maybe they wanted to stay with a dry sleeve engine on the main tractors till they got the wet sleeve engines figured out?

I have had a few guys tell me to get DT429 injector tips for the 1206 if I wanted to bump it up just a bit more for pulling. I did do some research at work as far as part numbers are concerned, but what I really need to do is compare nozzle specs between the two from some service manuals. I wonder just hpw much of a difference it would really make. Although, I bet the injectors could use just a good tune-up, that alone might wake up the 12 a bit!

If meory serves me correctly, the DT429 used a 4-roller Roosamaster pump, did it not? Everything else at the time was still a 2-roller.

The DT429 is a industrial engine that resembles in appearence the 361/407 but has the pump on the left side of engine like a 400 series and actually is kind of the airapparent to the 400 series with the wet sleeves which also makes it around 4" longer than a 361/407.

It also has side mount water pump that would interfere with the side frames on the 806-1456.

We had a 4156 and 1256 on the farm and the only thing we had to compare the two in field performance was a 892 2 row New Holland chopper. They were very comparable with both easily running 1st high in good corn.

The 429 had a little different sound with a more deep beller. You know ,the the kind that sounds like nothing could out lug her. Real cool engine.

I have heard the story about the pump as well but I don't know why IH would use a 429 pump on a 1456 because they were the same pump, model DBGFC627 4 roller pump.

All they would need to do was set the 1456 pump to 429 specs. On the injectors (I'm going off memory here)

the 806-1456 ranged from .011-.013 nozzle size where I believe the 429 had a .014 or .015 nozzle size. A 429 and 361/407 use the same injector body. Thats where they would have gotten the extra HP.

From the applications I have seen the 429 must have came out in 1962-63 era with the 1st engines having an RD pump, with a TC4 Solar turbo (1206 had a TC3)and would have ended at the inception of the 400 series in 1971.

After Solar I always wondered why IH used a TO4 Airresearch turbo on the 429 and the Schwitzer on the 407. You would have thought they would use the same supplier.

Brad

Thanks for the info Brad, do you still have the 4156? Would really like to see one in action some day or better yet find one for myself since there were so few made.

Was wondering why IH didnt use the 429 in the 1256-1456's? I dont know anything about these engines as far as reliabilty and such but that would have really put IH a step ahead I think, not that the dt 4047 was a bad engine but I think putting a 429 in the 12's would have really seperated them from the rest of the field. Any comments.

The DT429 was used in the IH TD20B dozer, the 250B crawler front end loader & the IH 4100 rubber tired tractor.

The DT429 was used in the IH TD20B dozer, the 250B crawler front end loader & the IH 4100 rubber tired tractor.

And the 4156 rubber tired tractor, An Earth moving pan (not sure the model) and a Hough loader and I'm sure several other industrial applications.