Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1206SWMO

Pic-Rare 1954 Gleaner "T" SP Combine

16 posts in this topic

post-1857-1152478666_thumb.jpg

Here is a very rare 1954 Model T-3 Gleaner SP combine that I hauled home last winter on a very cold snowy Saturday morning..Bought it off a small part time farmer at the edge of Pittsburg,KS.It was used on 64 acres up until 10 years ago when it was replaced by a 4400 JD.It has always been shedded.I'm the 3rd owner.

The Gleaner T was built in 1954 only in two sizes.

T-2 7 ft

T-3 10 ft

It was powered by a 172 Cube Ford 172 OHV engine.The engine on mine is stuck and has anti-freeze in 1 cylinder.

post-1857-1152481486_thumb.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have original sales literature for it plus the operators manual.

post-1857-1152479126_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of it the day I bought it.I was having camera trouble so the pictures are pretty big.The owner was tickled that a collector was getting it and sold it to me cheaper than scrap price.

Blaine, instead of a plow day, you could have a "combine day"! :D Just have people come down and run all your combines!! :D

Nice looking little machine. Never knew they built one like that. Got to be a good one, I see it was made the same year I was! :lol:

That is a good little Gleaner you have there. Just like Jere said, never knew thay made such a machine. Do you run it much?

J.D. and 5288,

Not alot of people ever knew they made a Model T Gleaner since it was built in 1954 only.About 10 years ago I had a custom cutter visit me that collects toys (we made a toy trade) and he has run Gleaners all his life.He didnt believe they made a Gleaner T until I showed him the original sales lit.I just went and took a picture of it and added it to the original post.

Back in the 1960's a neighbor 5 miles SW had a Gleaner T that he used on 40 acres.Its long gone.A Gleaner T minus the engine sold at Hansens sale at Chanute,KS earlier this year.

I havent ran mine yet as the engine is stuck from a leaking head gasket.Its the same engine that 800-900 Ford tractors use.

That "T" is pre-AC right Blaine? Just simply Baldwin designed and built? Funny how after thirty one more years that basic machine was just modernized and bigger rolling off the same line. I think the Baldwin brothers had a great design.

Thats a neat little SP machine. I too had never heard of that model.

I got to tour the Gleaner plant in KC Mo back in 1964 when I was at the national FFA convention. Quite a treat for this old country boy. Our first SP machine was a well used Gleaner A'.

RJ my grandpa had an A Gleaner. He had the walker arm pickup for dry beans and a 10' platform. I have no idea how he could stand operating it, after having run my 9400 with all the goodies in the cab, just getting out of the cab during wheat harvest kills me. Between the dust and chaff, the heat is like the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm spoiled I guess.

That "T" is pre-AC right Blaine? Just simply Baldwin designed and built? Funny how after thirty one more years that basic machine was just modernized and bigger rolling off the same line. I think the Baldwin brothers had a great design.

Nick,

Yes,the "T" was an all Baldwin designed combine.I think AC bought Gleaner out in around 1956-57.They sure kept that design for many years.

Now,I'm hunting a real early "A" Gleaner.I know where ones at that has a flathead Ford 6 cyl engine but they still use it in fescue and wont sell it.The "A' came out in around 1951.

The early A's used a 226 flathead 6 Ford,then a 236 flathead 6 Hercules,and finally when AC took them over a OHV Buda 230 6 cyl.

I have the excellant book "Allis Chalmers Farm Equipement" by Norm Swinford (get it on Amazon)

[ Note that there used to be another Gleaner model T, pull-type, in the 1930's. ]

Quoted from the book:

"In the early 1950's, a market for a smaller, self-propelled combine materalized, primarily in the eastern Corn Belt and other areas with medium-sized diversified farms having both corn and small grain crops. A rash of "baby" self propelled combines were rushed to fill this niche, and the Gleaner-Baldwin Co. offered the Model T in 1954. The T2 ( 2-row soybeans ) had a seven foot header and the T3 ( 3-row soybeans) had a ten foot header."

" With a 23-inch rasp cylinder and 28-inch walker seperator, the Model T was about three-quarters the size of the Model A. Grain bin was a moderate 30 bushels. A Ford four-cylinder 172 cid engine drives the unit with a variable V-belt and 3 speed transmission. "

" The Model T combine was only built in 1954. After Allis-Chalmers acquired the Gleaner Harvester Corp. on Feb. 1, 1955 both the Model T and pull-type #80 combines were dropped. Relatively unsuccessful in heavy small grain, the Model T proved to be a winner in edible beans. The unsold inventory acquired by AC found a home in the edible bean country of Michigan's thumb. In April 1955, the T2 had a list price of $4459 and the T3 sold for $4560".

At the time of the AC takeover, the selfpropelled "All Crop 100" continued for a few years as the small combine, and all Gleaner pull types were dropped in favour of AC's.

The pull-type AC's had an amazing production run: 25 years totalling about 338,000 machines: That's over 1000 miles end to end!

Nice looking Gleaner, I too have a soft spot for small combines. If I had the money I would build a big shed and collect every little 2 row modle combine that everybody made back then. A guy I use to work for started out with a K and now has an L and I've noticed the same thing, only the cab has changed, all the guts are still the same, just bigger.

I bought a G in a moment of weakness ($400 for it, 15' graintable and a 6rn cornhead) and loved it in corn but never could get it to clean beans very good.

If you do have a "combine day" I hope I'm invited, I'd rather shell corn than plow anyday!

I never knew that a model "T" existed until this thread mentioned it. Funny thing is, today I received my Fastline Antique Tractor Edition in the mail and Mike's Equipment of Buhler, Kansas has a Gleaner Model T, serial #T1471 for sale and he's asking $1,950 for it. There's a picture of it in his ad and it's housed inside a shed.

Mike's has a website; www.mikesequipment.com.

RJ my grandpa had an A Gleaner. He had the walker arm pickup for dry beans and a 10' platform. I have no idea how he could stand operating it, after having run my 9400 with all the goodies in the cab, just getting out of the cab during wheat harvest kills me. Between the dust and chaff, the heat is like the straw that breaks the camels back. I'm spoiled I guess.

If that T' was 3/4 size of the A' then that was a itty bitty machine. I ran Dads' A' in Alfalfa seed in late October in 1968 just before I got drafted. We had a storm coming in and ran all night, dad and I taking turns because it was bitter cold out there on that open platform. Remember Dad turning some pulleys around on the cylinder to speed it up. No variable on that at all. Alfalfa seed was $1.00 per pound that year. They now have a NII and the F' I bought brand new back in 1975. In between were a CII and a G as well. This is in SE Montana where He and my Brother are still at it today.

A dollar a pound!!!! Now its like $15 a pound....

Tony

A dollar a pound!!!! Now its like $15 a pound....

Tony

That's $15 if you are buying it right. Back in 68' $1.00 # uncleaned was MONEY. We sacked off out of the auger into 100# Seamless sacks and Dad said it was like counting $100 dollar bills which would still buy someting back then. We made $12,000 dollars that fall. An Alfalfa seed crop is always chancy in Montana and is considered a bonus cash crop. Dad told the man in the PCA office "Oh we had a fair seed crop, nuthin spectacular though". This was off of less than 200 acres of dryland Montana hill country and spotty as heck.

People liked those smaller combines for Alfalfa because most times you were chasing a very thin windrow. I would bet that T' Gleaner would be the cats A55 on someting like that as well as grass seed. One old man had a AC All Crop 60 he puled with a Farmal H and cruised around cutting Alfala seed on shares for people, mostly cow outfits that had no machinery.

Would the T been the forerunner of the Model E?Ive always had an interest Gleaners as my first sp combine was a Model K which replaced the E.I have a JD 6620 now.

Everyone,thanks for all the replies and comments.I didnt figure that too many of you knew that a Gleaner "T" was ever built.

redcanuck,thanks for the info.

RJ-AZ-enjoyed your combining story on alfalfa.

Mike-who knows -we might have a combine day some year.

Hoot,I've been to Mikes at Buhler,KS.That was in Dec 2004.He probably didnt have the T Gleaner back then.I gave the asking price of $150 for mine but the engine is stuck.

Tbear,I guess you could say the T was the forerunner of the E even though there was a gap of 8 years between them from 1954 to 1962.

If any of you know of a nice older combine in your neighborhood try and buy it and give it a nice home in a shed.Far too many are being scrapped out these days.If I can afford too,I'm going to try and buy some more older combines and will try and get them under a roof.

Ones I'm looking for are the following.

AC 100

21 or 21-A Massey Harris

Early A Gleaner

427-428 Cockshutt

Oliver 33-35-40

SP 9 or 12 Case

Super 92 Massey