Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hinfarm

1460 OR 1660

I have a tough choice to make wheather to buy a 1660 or 1460.

The 1460 has 4500 hrs on it and is in good shape but it is close to 30 years old aready. I don't have time to be fixing during the season since I work outside of the farm too. The dealer want $4,950 for it.

The 1660 is owned by one of my landlords it is also in very good shape with 2600 hours on it. It is a 90 or 91 model. It has every option on it except 4x4 which I dont need anyway. He wants $25,000 for it which I think is a steal.

The 1660 looks like a way better choice but I have grown my farm from just over 200 acres to 510 acres in the last year. I have enough debt as it is without a big combine loan. I'd keep the 1460 for a year or two but if I got the 1660 I'd keep that for 5-10 years+. What would you guys do?

I'll probley wait till late summer to decide after I have an Idea of what the crops will be doing.

I would buy the 1660, by the way you described it, it sounds much better than the 1460, and plus the 16** series are much nicer than the 14** series. so I would go with the 1660, especially when you will keep it for a while.

I'd be awful tempted to go with the 1460, do a good pre-season maintenance program and get er done. 510 acres for a 1460 shouldn't be much of a stretch at all if it's decent. That would be less than $10 an acre if it fell apart the first year. If you kept it 3 or 4 it's money that you ain't payin interest on.

Chads

Yep, I agree with Chads. Service it and let'er rip! Just my opinion.........Dave

I have been putting 100 acres in total between my Corn, oats, wheat through my K2 Gleaner which is tiny in comparison but similar age wise to a 1460. I have had minimal expenses, last year was really good, no repairs other than two guards for grain table during wheat. If you plant alot of corn there isn't the pressure to get it off so I would go with older but paid for if possible. Good luck on your choice. One neighbor close by runs the guts out of a 1420 with 6 row 30 inch head, not sure on acres but it's alot and another puts about 300 a year through a 1440. Good preseason maintenance and let her eat!

I'd be awful tempted to go with the 1460, do a good pre-season maintenance program and get er done.  510 acres for a 1460 shouldn't be much of  a stretch at all if it's decent.  That would be less than $10 an acre if it fell apart the first year.  If you kept it 3 or 4 it's money that you ain't payin interest on.

Chads

yep, and for that price,unless it goes completely to **** you can get youre money back in 3 or 4 years and there are plenty of used parts available,repairs would be relatively inexpensive unless something major goes, but whos to say something major couldnt go on the 1660.

ive got a 92 1660 and i like it real well, but for 500 acres the 1460 should be good enough even if you pay a dealer to do the preseason sevice youll still be money ahead. my neighbor just traded his 1440 for a 1640 and he runs way more acres than you. he wore that poor ol 1440 out three times over.

everyone has a different idea. If you want to spend money for a little more comfort, a reverser, etc buy the 1660.

Mechanically if well maintained there is no reason the 1460 won't do the job. I bought a 84 model with 4100 hours last year and ran 250 acres through it and it didn't blink an eye. In 2002 when my dad and his nephew quit we were using a 79 1440 on 900 acres and it worked for us.

Yes the 1660 does have a bit more concave area but its the same throat and same rotor. One advantage of the 1660 would be if it possibly has the specialty rotor, depending on if you run many beans.

The way I look at it is 25000 versus 5000 what other improvements could I make to the farm with the additional 20000 or not having 20000 dollars of additional debt is a good thing. There are a lot of combines out there, if the 1460 would happen to lay down on ya.

my 2 cents.

I agree with MOChad and the others, for the price I would go with the 1460, Ive ran both and dont think there is $20,000 worth of diference in a 14 compared to a 16. Around here you can buy a 1680 new enough to have a Cummins in it for the price of the 1660. Buy the 1460, do any fixing it needs and spend the rest on heads and to pay off bills.

I agree with the others, the 1460 is a good deal at that price and the 1660 is not worth 20K more for the minor improvements. look at it this way either one could crap out at any time, at least with the 1460 you are only out $5,000. Spend the money on needed repairs and good heads.

Hours and age on a combine are both realitive, whats really important is what kind of care they've had and what crops they've been used on. The thing you have to watch for on combines is buying a used machine that's 500 hours away from needing alot of parts or a combine when you might be able to buy a combine with 750 more hours that just had all those parts replaced and is ready for another couple thousand hours before needing alot of work. When we traded off our 1440 it had around 4,200 hours on it and the last year we used it we ran it over 1,200 acres of corn/soybeans with almost no in season repairs. The key to that kind of reliability is preseason maintance and not being cheap when it comes to replacing parts. The nice thing about the Axial Flows is there are very few parts of the older machines that can't be cost effectivly updated to what the new machines us plus there is alot of aftermarket stuff for them as well. I think I would buy the 1460 with the plan of spending $5,000 on it if need be, that $5,000 will buy alot of parts and there's not much on them the average farmer can't repair. You will still be at less than half the cost of the 1660 and you will have almost the same combine.