Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tommyw-5088

anyone here goon on old cummins engines

12 posts in this topic

we have a older cummins engine in a versatile 850 tractor ,it has no aftercooler ,but is turbocharged ,im told it is a nh 250 ? ,how can i find out for sure what it actually is .i need to run the overhead and hook up the quick start feature , i think the quick start is a compression release. im a truck mechanic ,but this engine is before my time ,thanks for any help.

If it is the original engine it would be a NT855 - C280 , small cam etc . Is the cpl # on it yet , if it is not or it has been changed you are about on your own .

no the cpl plate is gone ,got the location of where the serial # is supposed to be but it is not there.

Tommy, I could easily be wrong but for some reason I didn't think the NHs were turbocharged. If you search around on the block the ESN should be stamped somewhere. Since this engine I'm sure was built well before I was born it would be neat to look up the specs. If you can find anything send me an IM and I see what I can find. Andy

do you have an idea where the esn might be located ,buddy that used to work at cummins said to check of the flywheel end of the block for a ledge ,i found the ledge ,but no # on it. do you know about the compression release ?. the engine is before my time too. thanks for the help

The only cummins I ever had with a compression release was a 220 , 743 cubic inch. It would have external fuel lines and if I remember right only 6 head bolts per head. If it was turbo'ed it would be a 262. A 250 could be turbo'ed and it would be a 270. I had one of those as a natural, but I don't recall it having a compression release. It was a 855 c.i.d. and had internal fuel lines. (fuel entered on the back side of the rear head)

Bigwheels

Tommy W

Look on fuel pump,there should be a tag,

or numbers stamped,it will tell size,and

engine model. NH series could be turbo

charged. If it has external fuel lines to

injectors it is a NH.

There where two different series of 250's

the NH and NT .

If it has external fuel lines and turbo it can

be a 262 or 280.

The quick start is a glow plug in the air intake

manifold. On some models they call the ether

injection system a quick start.

The NH series can range from 220 to 335 horse

power depending on timing, cam,pump,and turbo.

The NT from 230 to 400. The compression release

was an option on both series. If the tractor is old

it could have a JT series or C 180 turbo charged

engine, the C180 was used in lots of equipment.

If you had a picture I could tell pretty much by

the setup what it is.

i dont have a digital camera yet ,it doesent appear to have external fuel lines ,i do recall a nh 220 with external fuel lines ,but it has been 20 years ago. if it does not have external fuel lines is it a nt 855 series?.ill look tomorrow for a #on the pump ,it does have a pt pump

I ran a Link Belt 98 logging shovel and it had what I was told a 160 no turbo and had internal injection lines proably what Sawmill was talking about Seems you never find two people call them the same Have heard a 262 called a 260 ,265 and 266. so we could have a controversity on our hands :P:P:P:P

Betting Ole Sawmill is more than likely correct AGAIN :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Brian

I had a 1974 Versatile 750 that was rated at 250hp. It was a non turboed NA855. I beleive the 850 was rated at 300hp. They were running the PT pump and were called a constant torque engine. Try to find the specs for a 855 250-335hp engine and set the overhead accordingly. I don't really think they changed that much over the years. I know we had an old FWD plow truck when I first started here with the State with a turboed 855 rated at 270hp that had the same overhead specs as I used my same old tools.

i found out it is a 74 model ,a buddy has some old cummins books so i might be going the right way ,i used to set alot of the ntc 855 engines , but it has been a long time ,we stopped using them at work in "90 .

I just did a little checking , NT855-C280 is what is supposed to be in all 850's and early 875's . CPL 120 seems to be in that time frame , 201 is later 1970's , my neighbors 1978 875 has cpl 201 . That's a couple numbers I came up with , maybe it'll help maybe not .