Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Old Rusty Farmall

Am I cheap?

Guest Old Rusty Farmall

The other day my father said I was so tighjt I squeak when I walk. I just need some emotional support. I'm not tight am I? I mean what's wrong with cutting corners to save $100 on $40K house I mean there's nothing wrong with that is there? Or using 1/2 inch insteasd of 3/4 plywood to build footlockers becuase your saving $10 on a $60 foot locker. I was told one of my uncles used to tear his disposable razors apart sharpen them then glue them back together to save $0.03 . I was also told the nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Anyone want to enlighten me? I can't see why everyone thinks I'm so cheap. I mean what's wrong with saving for retirement or something like that.

ORF

Being cheap is good......... :D Im about as cheap as they get, my brothers constantly bug me about that.... if i can save a few pennys when i fill up by going to a differnt gas station or using a cupon i do....i dont wast money on pop or chew or smoke, If i can pinich a nickel and get 6 pennys back i will :D

Only way to have money is to save it for a rainy day..........Jeremy

Move into the new century guys, the word to use is -------- thrifty. :lol::lol:

mike

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
Being cheap is good......... :D  Im about as cheap as they get, my brothers constantly bug me about that.... if i can save a few pennys when i fill up by going to a differnt gas station or using a cupon i do....i dont wast money on pop or chew or smoke, If i can pinich a nickel and get 6 pennys back i will :D

Only way to have money is to save it for a rainy day..........Jeremy

Good to see I'm not alone. I always make money on business deal by being cheap. Buy something for less then it's worth then sell it for slightly more then it's worth. hen buying something always offer less then value. If the person won't sell just tell 'em "thank you but there's plenty of other <insert item(s)> here for alot less money. Then as your leaving tell of if they reconsider to give you a call. then wiat a coupl of week.s If they want to sell bad enough they'll call. If not then your not out much. sometime's this works and sometime it don't.

100.00 dollars on a 40K house is nothing. For one thing, cutting those corners can cost you big bucks down the road as far as resale value. Yeah, I know, you will probably say "I dont plan to move" but your home will still be worth something. I'm afraid you wont find any emotional support from me, as I've had to work with worn out junk due to people too tight to fix anything. In a couple instances, it has gotten me hurt, and that is plain stupid in my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with being frugal, but being miserable until you retire is just plain dumb. ****, who knows, we all might die tommrow(not that I hope we do) and you dont get to take that money with you, so you may as well enjoy it as long as you are within your means.

Much to your dismay, I'm putting brakes on all 4 spots of my Timpte grain hopper, even though they would run another year yet. I've got all the wheels off of it, and If I do a brake job while I'm there, it saves me having to pull the brake drum and tires off again.

Lighten up friend, enjoy life a little, and yes, that requires spending a little cash now and then, but remember, you only get one go around at this little carnival....

The other day my father said I was so tighjt I squeak when I walk.  I just need some emotional support.  I'm not tight am I?  I mean what's wrong with cutting corners to save $100 on $40K house I mean there's nothing wrong with that is there?  Or using 1/2 inch insteasd of 3/4 plywood to build footlockers becuase your saving $10 on a $60 foot locker.  I was told one of my uncles used to tear his disposable razors apart sharpen them then glue them back together to save $0.03 . I was also told the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.  Anyone want to enlighten me?  I can't see why everyone thinks I'm so cheap.  I mean what's wrong with saving for retirement or something like that.

ORF

I'll tell ya something, and I want you to write it down somewhere so you can look at it when you retire.

"you're not saving for retirement"

People that spend their whole life saving every nickel they can, aint about to spend it after they had it so long. Once you become set on the "cheap" life, you're commited to it for life. You will be the richest man in the cemetary. But, if that makes you happy, go for it. Just dont fool yourself into believing you'll actually spend the money when you retire.

Old rusty farmall will retire sooner than any of us. Magicmikey, no comment?????

In my neck of the woods, $40,000 would buy you a mobile home.. maybe.

I guess I'm not cheap by your standards. The house I want and dream about cost about $250,000. Guess you could say I have high hopes.. I'll get there eventually.

Course I get the feeling that some of your guys would re-blade a disk and use the same bearings too. Personally I feel you can be too cheap for your own good. My time at work is valuable to me. I can't afford downtime in the field when we have sat around all winter with tons of time to fix any and everything that needed it.

Jason's right! Lighten up a bit. Splurge for the fancy 3/4 inch plywood!

I got a neighbor who is in his 70's, tuns his hot water off so he dont have to pay electricity on it, eats his ceral with water in stead of milk, keeps his house at 50 degrees, buys week old rolls for 5 cents insted of 75 cents fresh.. he says sometims there hard but if you dip them in coffee they tast good :D

He just built 2 850k apartment building and told us he always wanted to be rich :blink::blink::D

Jeremy

Being cheap usually costs you more in the long run ,as I have worked for many cheap a$$es and they always bought the cheapest parts and tools tires and so on and they spent twice as much replacing these items as they wore out or broke faster .

I agree with you Jason. There is a difference between being "cheap" and being smart with your money. You can save all you want but what you do with the money you have makes the difference. ORF I bet never figures in his time on all his "money saving" ways. Having an uncle who takes razors apart to save .03 wasted more time than spending the .03. Driving around looking for a gas station with cheaper gas doesn't pay either. 2 cents difference on 16 gallons of gas saves about .30 cents. My time is worth more than that. I too will not work on junk. It's cheaper to buy something once and look after it. "Pay now or pay later" is my motto so changing brakes early probably will save you down the road. I know two guys I work with that are frugel to the point the never enjoy anything. You miss out on alot of opportunities by being too cheap. Live a little fellas but remember to be "smart" and spend wisely. Personally you don't impress me by bragging how cheap you are. You'd never sell me anything because your cost cutting ways tells me you probably cobble everything together to save a penny.

Being cheap usually costs you more in the long run ,as I have worked for many cheap a$$es and they always bought the cheapest parts and tools tires and so on and they spent twice as much replacing these items as they wore out or broke faster .

Im cheap when i have to be but i understand that sometims quality needs to come before the price, such as bearings in a disc always better to get the good us made ones the first time over the chines ones. Always better to do the job right the first time then do it over, i only skip corner when it aint going to hurt the project.......Jeremy

Guest Old Rusty Farmall

I guess I'm not cheap by your standards.  The house I want and dream about cost about $250,000.  Guess you could say I have high hopes..  I'll get there eventually.

Here a house costs between $80-$120 a square foot. The add another $1,000-$1,500 an acre for land to put it on. My dream house is 14X26. It's about $4K under the $40K mark when you figure the middle of the scale. Here's my dream house:

Link 1

nice cabin but kind of small,if you ordered a large pizza you would probably have to eat it outside. :D

I guess I'm not cheap by your standards.  The house I want and dream about cost about $250,000.  Guess you could say I have high hopes..  I'll get there eventually.

Here a house costs between $80-$120 a square foot. The add another $1,000-$1,500 an acre for land to put it on. My dream house is 14X26. It's about $4K under the $40K mark when you figure the middle of the scale. Here's my dream house:

Link 1

i commend you on your vow of celibacy.....you are much stronger than i ! B)

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
nice cabin but kind of small,if you ordered a large pizza you would probably have to eat it outside. :D

I have always argued that a bigger house costs more to heat. With fuel the way it is right now less guel use equals more money in your pocket. So far I convinced people of those two things yet most people still refuse to see the common link. I don't need that big opf a house. I ain't got that much stuff. All I got is a tiwn bed, a book shl,two imitation military footlocker and the contents there of. I see n need for a big house. I think My stuff would fit nicely into a 14X26 house.

Yea, you don't have much stuff. You're also only 18. i'd bet most of the of the people on this board didn't have much more than you when they were 18.

Also, with a house that small, i guess you plan to never get married let alone have kids!

I could elaborate, but why bother? You don't listen to anyone anyway.

Mark

Holy $hit ORF I put an addition on my house that was bigger than that place and your right RodRod he must be planning on being celibate. My addition with a full basement was 20x24 and it ran me 35,000. I didn't cheap out on anything but I put the large quantity items out for 3 bids such as insulation, drywall etc. Used a contractor to frame it, close it in and install a new roof on the whole house so it was the same age instead of having new shingles only on the addition. I looked after all the internal work ie: electrical, insulation but had a guy do the drywall. Always took the middle bid instead of the lower one because they always left out certain extras and the high one usually included unnecessary extras. Worked out real good for me. Made my wife and kids so much happier having the extra room but I couldn't imagine trying to live solely in that addition. Sometimes my house(and farmyard) is still too small when the wife and I are having a disagreement.

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
Yea, you don't have much stuff. You're also only 18. i'd bet most of the of the people on this board didn't have much more than you when they were 18.

Also, with a house that small, i guess you plan to never get married let alone have kids!

I could elaborate, but why bother? You don't listen to anyone anyway.

Mark

I had many lengthy discussions with my mentor over marriage. I finaly decided against it. Despite what many have siad about the good I have seen the bad and have chosen not to take that risk. As far as kids I don't have to worry since not only do I not plan to marry but I plan to avoid relationships of this type as well. I've done good for the first 18 years so the next 50 should be that hard. I have many times gone out of my way to avoid such relationships I can say that some girls are more persistant then others but in the end they all get bored and move on (which is the ultimate goal) Time shall tell the story though. What is there to elaborate on? I have seen marriage my parents were married all my mother did was cuss and likewise all father did was go to town for "coffee" so he wouldn't have to listen to mother's cussing. Sorry maybe I'm mentaly damaged here but I do not wish to spend the rest of my life at the local coffee shop. If the only reason for marriage is companionship then a good dog will aclomplish this goal for alot less hassle. Besides I can honestly say I put more trust in them cows then I have ever put in any of my "friends." So I don't see how the dog/wife comparison is much different as far as the "unmentable subject" I think that my decision to live alone and therefore abstain is a fair trade off for not having to spend the rest of my life in the coffee shops and bars.

756D-SW.ONT., Contractors cost money that's half the cost right there. Not sure for your area but around here a basement will cost about $20K so I'm quessing that where 2/3 of the expence of your addition went. I don't plan to build a basement on a house. Due to the humidty there realy not good for storage. I'd either do a 4ft foundation and a crawl spcae or a floating slab. So far I haven't figured out the latter option. I thinking in a small house such as I'm building just brace the floors good enough and the entire house with rise and settle with the freeze thaw cycle. Pipes for well, septic etc would be a problem though. Like I said I still got quite a few bugs to work out yet, But I got time.

ORF

Your right ORF, contractors cost money but it costs me money to stay home from work to try and build an addition. I'll leave that up to the pros as they can do it faster and be more efficient about it. Spend the money and put in the crawl space. Your going to need somewhere for storage. After reading how you'd take a dog over a wife and you'd put more trust in a cow than your friends I have a feeling in a couple years your going to be the subject of some breaking news story sprayed across the TV and broadcast around the nation. See what being "cheap" does to ya!!!!!!!! Oh, you'd probably save a bunch of money on digging the foundation seeing as you have lotsa practice digging graves!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Old Rusty Farmall
Your right ORF, contractors cost money but it costs me money to stay home from work to try and build an addition. I'll leave that up to the pros as they can do it faster and be more efficient about it. Spend the money and put in the crawl space. Your going to need somewhere for storage. After reading how you'd take a dog over a wife and you'd put more trust in a cow than your friends I have a feeling in a couple years your going to be the subject of some breaking news story sprayed across the TV and broadcast around the nation. See what being "cheap" does to ya!!!!!!!! Oh, you'd probably save a bunch of money on digging the foundation seeing as you have lotsa practice digging graves!!!!!!!!!!

I ain't got much money, but I got alot of time. You figure it out. Did you read the reasons WHY I would take a dog over a wife? You can start with the part about how I don't want to spend the rest of life in bars just to get away from her.

Man now that's funny. I can't stop laughing to type right.

ORF that's about the size of my den and I don't have a big home. 1500 sq. ft living. This summer I am building a camp on the water with some friends for the weekends and it will be 20 X 60 with an 8 foot porch all across the front. That is a good size for a camp for one or something, as a matter of a fact my deer camp has more square feet than that. It's a mobile home which is 10 X 40 and two of us in there is ok.

I guess my point is, it's ok to start, but design it to be able to add on in the future. You have no closed off bedroom and I know no woman who likes to look at a bed when they first enter a home, especially if your the type to not make it.

As far as being frugal, as long as you have a means for the savings and the money doesn't control you than you're ok. Remember it's only money and it can be gone faster than you ever saved it. You have the right idea to save early because what usually makes you the most money is time, the length of time you have it saved.

Guest Old Rusty Farmall

Man now that's funny. I can't stop laughing to type right.

ORF that's about the size of my den and I don't have a big home. 1500 sq. ft living. This summer I am building a camp on the water with some friends for the weekends and it will be 20 X 60 with an 8 foot porch all across the front. That is a good size for a camp for one or something, as a matter of a fact my deer camp has more square feet than that. It's a mobile home which is 10 X 40 and two of us in there is ok.

I guess my point is, it's ok to start, but design it to be able to add on in the future. You have no closed off bedroom and I know no woman who likes to look at a bed when they first enter a home, especially if your the type to not make it.

As far as being frugal, as long as you have a means for the savings and the money doesn't control you than you're ok. Remember it's only money and it can be gone faster than you ever saved it. You have the right idea to save early because what usually makes you the most money is time, the length of time you have it saved.

I looked it over and it's perfect for me. Not too big not to small. The lay out is perfect I could come in from working the cows and just "crash" right into bed. If you were outside working and your forgot something you wouldn't have to wlak clear acroos the house to get it. One thing I would do is put in that "fake" wood flooring. It's that plastic stuff that snaps together. Supposed to look like wood but it don't. None the less it would serve my purposes.