Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turbo_1066

Case 1070

14 posts in this topic

My Grandpa bought a Case 1070 last weekend. I was wanting to know if anyone had any expierence with them. It seems to be a nice tractor, other than some front end issues, and shifting problems. I just need some input please.

There good tractors till they brake down, then you better talk to you banker :D:lol:

I have ran several of them, dont seam to be bad in the power department, never like there shifting set up though.............

Jeremy

They're an okay tractor. The later ones are better, but I kinda liked the Desert Sunset & Power Red combo that the Power White & Power Red combo. A powershift can be spendy, but then again, so can a clutch & T/A job in an IH. The 451 is a good engine, usually it wasn't up until you got into bigger 504's w/ turbos that you saw some head gasket problems. Engine parts can also be pricey, but machine work is usually the worst, esp. if the block counterbores need redone.

Otherwise, a pretty good tractor.

My brother has a 970 (yellow) Case and its not a bad old tractor. I have never yet seen one that will shift smoothly though. That power shift just seems to work that way. Biggest problem I saw on it was the brakes. They have a parking brake that is way too easy to forget when you drive away. Results in burnt out brake linings that won't hold. Maybe not a big problem for field work but when you try hitching up to an implement its good to have a means of holding the tractor in place. I was sure glad when the 90 series came out with a park lock in the transmission.

I spent several years in one ,was bought worn out lots of blow by after it was overhauled from fan balde to pto shaft it was a good running tractor , but every once in a while it would get the shakes for a few seconds but it never hurt anything . And the nice thing was I could run the haybine for a week on a tank of fuel , put the 4 bottom on it and that tank lasted about 8 hours .

My brother has a 970 (yellow) Case and its not a bad old tractor. I have never yet seen one that will shift smoothly though. That power shift just seems to work that way. Biggest problem I saw on it was the brakes. They have a parking brake that is way too easy to forget when you drive away. Results in burnt out brake linings that won't hold. Maybe not a big problem for field work but when you try hitching up to an implement its good to have a means of holding the tractor in place. I was sure glad when the 90 series came out with a park lock in the transmission.

they should make it a law that the tractor cant move until the emergency brake is off,even that big lite on the dash doesnt give it away until it comes time to put brake on again only to find out it has been on. :(

Ran one for a guy who's Dad bought it new in 74 or 76. It was a white one, they still have it. I always liked that 451, it ran rally nice. We used it for hauling a New Holland stackliner alot and the tranny held up very well. The shifting takes a little getting used to, not the powershift part but the ranges. Make darn sure you find neutral before dumping the clutch to get off, if you don't whiplash can be the result :D . Pretty nimble for a larger tractor.

Never drove a 1070 but the 13's were ok till they berak down. You can spend more on and Power shift of rearend then the tractor is worth. Same goes for the engine if the liner o-ring bore gets pitted.

Nebraska 1206;

Do you all have alot of head gasket problems with the 504's out your way? We have a 1370 that Im going to tear into shortly that keeps blowing water out the overflow. Its the same thing every couople of years. You can put a set of head gaskets on it and it will quit for a year or two. Would like to find a solution to the problem.

Mostly the big 504's, like 2594's & 3594's can leak coolant, but it's not a common apperance in the shop, just every now & then.

Purchased an 1170 at a nieghbors auction sale. Things always ran hot but neighbor said, "oh yeah, it always did that. ever since it was overhauled, I think it has a faulty guage". Well, I don't think he ever worked it very hard cuz when we did we got blowbye like crazy. Finally worked it too hard and had to overhaul it. $6000 later we had her back and she purrs like a kitten. I gotta say I love working that tractor. It does not have the power shift, which I am actually thankfull for. Although the shifting still sucks at least we don't have the problems that the powershift does.

Right now it is getting new brakes. The previously mentioned parking brake issue caused us some serious trouble, the parking break assembly somehow "caught" and twisted itself while in the field. This caused it to catch on the rotor and bust off as well as cracking the rotor. So, tune up the parking brake and keep it in good working order would be my advice.

It is the cream colored variety and has the cast iron grill and outside rear planataries. VERY heavy duty. seems heavier than other 70 series models. Have had to special order front wheel bearing because they were bigger than normal.

Anyway, I would say they are great old workhorses. Not pretty, not comfortable, hard to see out of the cab but god can they work (might want to buy some ear plugs too).

I used to run one for the neighbor. Really not any quieter in the cab than outside. The parking brake was shot probably for the reasons stated earlier. Engine was very well built I thought, even at 9k hours used no oil. The 1570 I have has park in the trans. Perhaps one without can be retrofitted?? Although probably cost more than the tractor is worth. If the trans should fail, one of the things you could do is put the 90-94 series 1/2" bolts in the powershift. They are much stronger than the little ones than the 70 series came with. The 1570 had it done and havent had to monkey with it since, about 4800 hrs ago. I dont think your grandpa will be unhappy with it.

Speaking of noisy Case tractors, the loudest one I've heard yet is a big 4890 4x4 we have in the shop right now. That thing has that Scandia-built engine in it, and the guy that owns it put straight pipes & muffler eliminators on everything. That thing really bellars, and whistles! The guys fired it up tonight to bring it in the shop, and the hytran was a bit cold, so when he hit the powershift, it really bawked & bellared! It has to be one of the best sounding straight piped tractors I've heard in quite a while!

Case tractors---- we have a 2590 at work, it is the only tractor that we have found that can handle our Dunbar/Kapple grain vac and stay cool.

Lots of hp (okay so its maybe tweaked a bit) and the cooling capacity to match

Shifting isn't the greatest, just don't get in a hurry. Right now its getting new brakes, not the easiest ones to replace.

One of my neighbors has a red case /ih 4x4 can't remember the number, I 'm pretty sure it has the Scandia engine in it. He has one BIG straight pipe on it. Sounds really nice, not too loud but just enough to let a person know there is something under the hood. I just know that it walks and talks with anything that he hooks on to.

F2036

Don't knock a 2590 they will pull the hindges off **** , I ran one for a summer on a big arts way tub grinder and it never missed a beat it to was tweaked .