Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brosil

? about rice-metalhead

Maybe I can get some info here. I found an old farm book that talked about dry land rice culture. Basically, it said that no one did it because paddy culture was so much easier. To me , that sounds like I could try it. I've got a couple of acres I'd like to try it on. Where do I find seed? Where do I get info on raising it? I'd just like to try raising my own.

I am not sure what "dry land" or "paddy" is refering to in that context. I do know that we call the flooded area between the levees a "paddy". The book could be refering to the way the rice is planted dry versus wet. In some of the Asiain countries they transplant their rice by hand in water. Rice farmers here mostly just plant their crop dry just like you would wheat or drilled soybeans. Rice does take LOTS of water to make a crop and I don't know of any that doesn't, it sure would save us some pumping costs if it would grow "dry"!!! As for seed, plain rice takes about 2-3 bu/ac while the hybrid varieties only take about 25-30lbs/ac (rice is 45lbs/bu). The hybrids are very expensive to plant but usually out yield regular varieties. I don't know if I have really answered your questions if I haven't let me know or maybe some of the other rice farmers on here could do a better job. If you wanted more info our County Extension offfice has Rice Production handbooks, I could send you one of those. Just send me a PM with your address if you would like one.

Let's hold off on the handbook. I've got some more research to do yet.

Rice is also very sensitive to amount of sunlight. Cloudy days will play havoc with yield and maturity.