Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HMR

Johnny Cash's Oliver Tractor

31 posts in this topic

Just got back from seeing "Walk the Line." What model Oliver does Johnny Cash back into the lake? Is it something like a Super 88? I don't know my Olivers very well. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it.

Best,

HMR

I still have all his old vinyl albums, but no turntable anymore. BTW, I hadn't realized the simmering conflict between him and his dad.

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't seen Johnny Cash's tractor but I have seen President Eisenhower's Massey Ferguson. I think it's a 35.

There's a link to an article discussing that tractor and the double they used for it in the movie - an account given by the tractor's owner. I somehow think it was posted on here not that long ago.

Eisenhower must have used all unique brands...............Locals say it was big news back years ago when Cockshutt gave him a 50? Don't remember the model well, but everyone else had tractors that could pull up to three bottoms then, with most tugging two still, and he gets one given to him to yank 4 :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TP, &PPO every Memorial day, outside of Gettysburg, Stanley Wolf puts out around 100 tractors and related equipment he has. He has one tractor given to Eisenhower, by, I think is cockshut. He also has alot of red power and white demo's. Yes, he even has some green weenies and orange pumpkins. Free to the public every Memorial day weekend. Also has supposedly a milk bottle for every dairy in Adams county. Lots to see and well worth the trip to see if within an hour or so. He says it takes him 300 gal of gas for the weekend. Also has a self propelled NH baler. I am going to try next year to go over and take pictures. Don't know how many years Stanley will be doing this.

Rodney is Stanley brother. Rodney put out about10-15 around the same time( maybe July4Th). Stanley had a pretty big operation years ago. Still farms some but has scaled way back. He live next to the campground on 30 that floods all the time. Road names not sure of. He lives on the road that goes frm 30 to Eisenhowers farm. (backhorse tavern?) Heck I drive all over town and couldn't tell you half the street names. Local joke s third monument on the left.

Huffy - I never did learn the names of the roads that didn't go down 15 or 30 East. No shame in not knowing the names of all of them - lots of places not worth going. My dad seems to know them all and he sure likes to toot his own horn when he mentions a road and I don't know what it is.

From what I've been told and could see in the movie, it is a 77 Oliver. Read where they took the engine out of it before they let it roll backwards into the lake...

Its a 77. The movie was filmed about 30 miles from me and the tractor and its double came from up in the hills of Arkansas. I posted the link about a month ago.

The tractor was on a rail kinda like a train track and had a wrecker hooked to it to pull it up and down the hill. Both tractors did have the engines removed. So they were just shells.

The fella who owns them pulls on the antique circuit.

http://www.hookmagazine.com/november_feature.htm

I haven't seen the movie and I haven't seen Johnny Cash's tractor but I have seen President Eisenhower's Massey Ferguson.  I think it's a 35.

Les - is the 35 sitting at the farm in Gettysburg? I never noticed it.

Yes. It was there in the barn a year ago when we were in Gettysburg. I took a picture or two of it, not digital. Looked like it was in real good shape. I'm not sure Ike ever used it, though. He wasn't much of a driver, according to our tour guide, having had someone else drive for him for a few decades before he moved there. :lol::lol::lol:

They were combining corn out in the fields with an older JD combine the day we were there. Too far away to get an ID on it and it wouldn't have meant anything to me anyway.

Its a 77.  The movie was filmed about 30 miles from me and the tractor and its double came from up in the hills of Arkansas.  I posted the link about a month ago. 

The tractor was on a rail kinda like a train track and had a wrecker hooked to it to pull it up and down the hill.  Both tractors did have the engines removed.  So they were just shells.

The fella who owns them pulls on the antique circuit.

http://www.hookmagazine.com/november_feature.htm

Detroit,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I guess I missed it the first time you posted. I believe that SDPaul and I at the time were out in western Nebraska posting bail for old Allen in NE. He had multiple charges against him: seems like he was involved with some honkytonk queen and stealing a Hydro 70. Sheriff's wife sure was pretty, he said.

Best,

HMR

Somehow I kinda doubt that the real tractor that the Man in Black actually drove into the water was an Oliver. Olivers were not very much in abundance where he lived.

In trying to find what brand his tractor actually was I Googled him and came across the following article about him, which has a very interesting photo of him :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertai...ic/johnny-cash/

Somehow I kinda doubt that the real tractor that the Man in Black actually drove into the water was an Oliver. Olivers were not very much in abundance where he lived.

In trying to find what brand his tractor actually was I Googled him and came across the following article about him, which has a very interesting photo of him  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertai...ic/johnny-cash/

That picture is in the leaflet of one of his albums that I have. It's San Quentin or Folsom Prison because he was pissed that the camera's wouldnt get out of his way on stage if I remember right.

I can remember reading a story about Johnny Cash in Life Magazine sometime in the early seventies.There was a picture of him driving a Farmall 140 in that story.The caption stated something about owning a tractor was just a dream when he was a kid and that he enjoyed driving his around his place.

Where abouts was Johnny's estate at in the Nashville area? I recall when we were at the roundup, the hotel we stayed at was on a major street named after him, in the northeast corner of town. Do not recall the name of the suburb we were staying at. We did go by Reba McIntyre's place, called "Starstruck Farms". That place was close to a good sized lake.

I can remember reading a story about Johnny Cash in Life Magazine sometime in the early seventies.There was a picture of him driving a Farmall 140 in that story.The caption stated something about owning a tractor was just a dream when he was a kid and that he enjoyed driving his around his place.

When I was a little kid and our family took a trip down to Kentucky and Tennessee to visit relatives, I noticed that most the farm tractors were either Farmalls or Ford 8Ns. So I imagine ole Johnny's was a Farmall. I know that Eddy Arnold had a Farmall Cub (one of the early ones).

"He rides in the sun till his day's work is done,

and he sings with an old western drawl......"

Or is it "He rounds up the cattle each Fall"?

Somehow I always figgered he was on a hoss, not a Farmall Cub.

:lol::lol::lol:

"He rides in the sun till his day's work is done,

and he sings with an old western drawl......"

Or is it "He rounds up the cattle each Fall"?

Somehow I always figgered he was on a hoss, not a Farmall Cub.

:lol::lol::lol:

"...singin' his Cattle Call.." heh, heh. Well, if he was on a hoss, Les, so were the Sons of the Pioneers. In fact, there is a nice photo of the four members of the Sons on the cover of the Bear Family boxed set of CDs I have by them. Eddy sure as h*ll can sing!! (oh, yeah..I also have a boxed set by Bear Family of all his early recordings from 1944 up to 1951, which in my opinion, were his best recordings, with that little Roy Wiggins and his weird-sounding steel guitar (weird, but nice; Hank Snow's steel guitar player, Eugene "Johnny" Beaudoin, who accompanied him on all his Canadian recordings was /is my favorite steel guitar player, followed closely by Little Roy Wiggins). There are only a handful of C & W singers that I like: Hank Snow, Hank Williams (the real one, not the Jr), Eddy Arnold, Ernest Tubb, Jimmie Rodgers, Sons of the Pioneers, Gene Autry and Roy Rogers. That's about it. But I do like almost everything they ever recorded and I have said recordings in my library. They're all deceased except Eddy and I understand that he has retired.

Yup, I can agree with that list. And especially excluding Hank Jr. :o

Hank Snow never got the notice that I think he deserved. I always wanted to do his "I've Been Everywhere". Nobody else ever did it as good as HS but Johnny Cash gave it a good try. Didn't the Statlers do it, too? I love the Statler Brothers. Even made a "pilgrimage" to their place in Staunton a few years ago. (We were already in the area.)

Yup, I can agree with that list.  And especially excluding Hank Jr. :o

Hank Snow never got the notice that I think he deserved.  I always wanted to do his "I've Been Everywhere".  Nobody else ever did it as good as HS but Johnny Cash gave it a good try.  Didn't the Statlers do it, too?  I love the Statler Brothers.  Even made a "pilgrimage" to their place in Staunton a few years ago.  (We were already in the area.)

Yes, the Statler Brothers did it.

Yup, I can agree with that list.  And especially excluding Hank Jr. :o 

Hank Snow never got the notice that I think he deserved.  I always wanted to do his "I've Been Everywhere".  Nobody else ever did it as good as HS but Johnny Cash gave it a good try.  Didn't the Statlers do it, too?  I love the Statler Brothers.  Even made a "pilgrimage" to their place in Staunton a few years ago.  (We were already in the area.)

Yes, the Statler Brothers did it.

Hank Snow & Willie Nelson also did a duet on it in 1985 in the last commercial LP that Hank ever did. 'Twas an album of all duets by the two of them on Willie's Columbia label (RCA had already dropped Hank). Title of album is Brand on my Heart (same as title of his song that first brought attention to him when he came over from Canada and was performing in Texas). Needless to say, I have this album as well as every recording that Hank ever made during his career from 1936 until 1985, including hundreds that were never released for public consumption.

TP, &PPO every Memorial day, outside of Gettysburg, Stanley Wolf puts out around 100 tractors and related equipment he has. He has one tractor given to Eisenhower, by, I think is cockshut.  He also has alot of red power and white demo's. Yes, he even has some green weenies and orange pumpkins. Free to the public every Memorial day weekend. Also has supposedly a milk bottle for every dairy in Adams county. Lots to see and well worth the trip to see if within an hour or so. He says it takes him 300 gal  of gas for the weekend. Also has a self propelled NH baler. I am going to try next year to go over and take pictures. Don't know how many years Stanley will be doing this.

All PA guys or PA Farm Show attendies, some of Stanley's equipment will be on display at the FFA booths. I know its not IH but there is a self propelled New holland small square bale from1966? President Eisenhowers Cockshut will be there aslo. I usually don't go but I may this year.

poo...i won't be making it in for the farm show this year, and it looks like it might actually be worth going to. I haven't been there in a while, but even years ago, it was more of a sheep-herding-doggie-showing-horse show than a farm show. Never did like the competitions. Seems like every time I went, a wagon with rubber car tires would win whatever the competition was where horses pulled wagons.

My parents went last year for the first time in a while and said they wouldn't be going back.