Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JFarms

!!!!Looking for 2006 Harvest Help!!!!

Guys, if you're young and have the desire to do it, by all means go out on a run for a year or two, it is suprising how many actually return for another year or two. You work hard, but its a good type of hard work. I've not done a full harvest run, but I am pretty well versed in how they work.

I've come across several crews and have to say that Brent Lee, Shawn, and Lance Johnson here run a topnotch operation, as do Rob and Sue Holland. I couldn't think of two better crews to recommend a clean, hard working young person to join up with.

A good friend of mine went on wheat harvest, summer of 02. He tells the story about this girl working at an elevator somewhere in KS. Apparently she was a sight to see :wub: He has been going to university of Missouri ( campus full of fine looking women ) for two years and still to this day has not seen one as beautiful as the KS elevator girl. Jon

JFarms,   I'm too old now and I've got my own harvest to handle but I always wanted to do something like that when I was young!   Rollie

Me too Rollie! :)

I heard my dad say that when I was online looking at harvesters websites way back in the summer of '99. So I made up my mind to get hiredon with a crew. I did the run in 2000 with Frederick Harvesting out of Alden KS.

It was an experience that I will never forget and if I weren't farming full time right now, I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

If you decide to make the trip do a through back ground check on any harvester there are some real doozies out there heard some real horror stories from guys out there .

I swear if I weren't pregnant and female I'd jump on doing something like that in a heartbeat! Unfortunately am both, therefore forced to stick with welding flash and busting knuckles. :(

If you are scared to drive the last thing you need to be in the seat of is 80 or more thousand pounds of TRUCK ;)

Didn't say that..............Said I didn't like it.............Even roading equipment around here is getting to be a nightmare with all the morons on the road.

A good friend of mine went on wheat harvest, summer of 02. He tells the story about this girl working at an elevator somewhere in KS. Apparently she was a sight to see :wub:  He has been going to  university of Missouri ( campus full of fine looking women ) for two years and still to this day has not seen one as beautiful as the KS elevator girl.  Jon

Stories such as those are true, been there, done that. :D

Keeps making me ask why those of us in Illinois get stuck with older farmer's wives testing moisture and running the scales. :unsure:

Thanks for the comments guys. The picture was taken near Snyder, Oklahoma as we were traveling to southern Oklahoma to start our run.

The picture was taken by a professional photographer by the name of Tom Childers who takes a few days off in the summer to come and follow us around. He has a website with more pictures from this summer and 2004. Here is the link Tom Childers website

Thanks again guys and send us some new recruits.

Would I have to work on any hillsides?????

post-2011-1134488755.jpg

Those pictures are amazing! Sure is different than here in central PA. It does look like fun.

Thanks for the pics!

A good friend of mine went on wheat harvest, summer of 02. He tells the story about this girl working at an elevator somewhere in KS. Apparently she was a sight to see :wub:  He has been going to  university of Missouri ( campus full of fine looking women ) for two years and still to this day has not seen one as beautiful as the KS elevator girl.  Jon

Keeps making me ask why those of us in Illinois get stuck with older farmer's wives testing moisture and running the scales. :unsure:

Any pictures of those Kansas girls? :D

I came real close to going on the harvest run with Scott and Linda Payne in the summer of 1992.

I wonder are they still in business? I have the video "2000 Mile Harvest" which was a documentary on them and the wheat harvest. They seem like they would be an ideal outfit to work for.

I wish I had've gone on the harvest too.....I'm not too old but the career won't let me..... :(

Al

I'm way too old for taking on a harvesting job... mostly retired...71 summers under my belt. But let me say that if I was In my 20's or 30's, "wife free", and healthy, I'd give a job like this very serious thought. Johnson's look like a first class operation and any good adventure related to working is precious for a young person starting a life of work. It's a long time 'til 65, try to make it as interesting and challenging as you can. Don't work just to get money! You may never realize it until you grow older and look back, but life has a lot of interesting opportunities and when you pass one up, they're usually gone forever.

ADM had some little hotties at the river terminals this fall , even cargil could afford them also .

Nope, no picturs, I often thaught that local elivators could put one more thing along with price to compeet for grain, GOOD SENERY :lol: Jon

I came real close to going on the harvest run with Scott and Linda Payne in the summer of 1992.

I wonder are they still in business? I have the video "2000 Mile Harvest" which was a documentary on them and the wheat harvest. They seem like they would be an ideal outfit to work for.

I wish I had've gone on the harvest too.....I'm not too old but the career won't let me..... :(

Al

My brother went out to western Nebraska to work for S&L Farms(Scott) in the fall of 2000 to help with the Nebraska corn harvest. He had a blast. He ran the grain cart and they ran 9 9650 STS combines. I guess he had them when they first came out and he had Deere reps out there helping him with them.

I guess not too long ago Scott was in a really bad car accident that left him in really bad shape. I haven't heard since how he was doing.

What I would not give to be 21 again for a couple of days ,I think most older members would agree .

None from KS, just a couple from SD at some festival a bunch of combine drivers came across near Mt. Rushmore.....censored for the forum of course........ :D

I don't think those are native SoDak girls! :lol::lol::lol: