Hello guys, I figured this is the place to ask besides the tech forum. We have a new Holland l170 that just flat out died on us like someone just shut the key off. I've gotten my hands on this gal quite a bit and am pretty confident on how it works. This time I'm really stumped. When you sit in the seat, computer says acc, should just light up and show hours. Then put on the seat belt, no change (normal) and lastly, if you turn the key to start, it only will crank it over, but computer says acc and doesn't change anything else. (Not normal). It should show glow on the meter and should kick the fuel pump on, does none of this. The computer is fairly new as we had it go out once about two years ago, so I think it seems fairly early for it to go out again... But, I'm starting to think it's the computer again, it's fairly expensive and I would hate to though it on to say hahahaha in my face. I've already changed the key switch and it is sending power out on the posts it needs to. Does anyone know how the electric system works on this? Anyone have a diagram or had this problem before?

First, I have to say I don't have any hands on experience with your machine. However, I do have a lot of experience working on newer equipment.

When you write that the monitor is doing something abnormal, it tells me there is an electronic fault of some sort. I would suspect there is some part of your start interlock that is not reporting the proper signal to the computer to allow it to proceed with engine starting or running.

Easiest way to describe how it works is the "teacher, can I...." The computer is teacher and you and the machine sensor circuits are the class. You ask for it to start and teachet asks, do you have your seat belts on, is the parking brake set, does the battery have enough voltage..... ECT, ECT. If you or a sensor says, "I don't know", teacher says NO.

Since I haven't worked on a NH, I don't know if NH gives any sort of diagnostic capability through the operator monitor, so there might or might not be some possible troubleshooting in that respect, hopefully someone else here can provide some insight in that regard. Otherwise, a person is going to need to hook up the proper electronic tooling to read for any faults and verify what signals are or are not being sent to the ecm. If this is the case, you will probably have to call the dealership.

You could start replacing parts, and get lucky on fixing the issue. But there is probably 5 to 10 different scenarios that could cause the problem. 1/2 of those will be wiring and not a simple parts replacement. Without knowing what question the ecm is getting an "I don't know" to, a person has a long row to hoe.

I had a seat belt switch act funny on a 865 I had.  Bypassed it with a toggle switch ( still used it just had to toggle switch).  Dealer said there was a resistor in the seat belt latch and to not bypass or it could fry panel.  Mine never did but might have been lucky.  

My cousins L150 had that problem, if I remember right he said it was a bad connection in the wiring harness between the cab and the wheels under the fender. It was full of dirt and moisture which corroded connection. 

It will not turn over unless you are sitting in the seat with the seat belt on, which that is the normal operation also. It will crank the engine, but will not unlock the hydro or anything else. The computer should not read acc unless the key is in the acc position, but I get it in every position but off. Which is very abnormal, so, in respect to your answer, the safeties are all functioning as they should, as that's why I am thinking the computer.

I am not familiar with these at all. Could it be the ignition switch as it says acc but still will crank ? Something wierd going on with it 

Are you SURE you got things back on the switch correctly? Are you SURE your modular plug doesn’t have a terminal boogered, pushes out, corroded or in the wrong place? Have had this with the backhoe before, something apart that was utterly unrelated, but moved wires enough that the injector pump wire fell off the switch, took 10-20 mins but I found it and plugged it in, ended up even though it looked like I’d put it in the right place I didn’t, had acc key on power but no power when cranking ( probably an extra work light terminal to save battery during starter draw ) so I turn the key on and run around and check, sure enough I have power at the injector pump. But I had to run another test wire up to the cab to realize I didn’t have it when cranking. Simple fix but took 3 hours. 

I am absolutely certain that I have no bad wires on module, and that I got them on the key correctly. It all worked flawlessly up till it went bad (obviously haha.). I hope I don't sound arrogant, because I'm not, I have over looked the obvious a time or two, but this one has got me stumped. If I had a wiring diagram I could read it. I've been working on machinery for five years now with three years of schooling under my belt (doesn't mean I'm the brightest on the tree). I just don't know what sensors are hooked to it besides the seat and the belt. It will run the fuel pump but it just isn't opening up the shut off solenoid. I'll probably have to wait till Monday and call our local dealership, they usually help me out without hesitation. It could be a trouble code of some sort, as it does have a diag port right behind the computer too. This one doesn't have an override either if that makes a difference.

1 hour ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

My cousins L150 had that problem, if I remember right he said it was a bad connection in the wiring harness between the cab and the wheels under the fender. It was full of dirt and moisture which corroded connection. 

Thanks for your reply, sorry just seen it. I will check it out!

I’d love a wiring diagram for these I have a L185 that won’t get power to the fuel pump so I ran a new wire from switch to pump but I’d be nice to be able to fix it lost my glow plug to dealers are no help besides just bring it in

Yea we used to get that until they are swamped, then it's here is the info you need buy your parts here haha. We have done business there for twenty something years, so they know us well and we treat them to a bone or two.

12 hours ago, red211 said:

I had a seat belt switch act funny on a 865 I had.  Bypassed it with a toggle switch ( still used it just had to toggle switch).  Dealer said there was a resistor in the seat belt latch and to not bypass or it could fry panel.  Mine never did but might have been lucky.  

I had a customers L465 here with the battery dying.....they hot wired the seat switch and that was the issue, put that on a toggle, and something else on a toggle but I don't remember what, because I had to still make a belt key for the seat belt.  Worked fine after that, seemed to recall the alternator involved in this too since that had to be replaced.  Also round the relays on the firewall that were full of shavings dust and needed attention.  Until I got my hands on it, the goofy dealer here that sold it new had it 3 times since new for the same issue and never did get it.  Told them just to start it with the service switch, because I assume one of the safety switches was bad. Anyhow that has been a few years now and they have had no issues, since they sold the cows it sets a lot and the battery is always up.

I wanted to put the switches all back, but it was amazing what they all cost.  Toggle switch I put on a strip right under the seat, start at the right when you get in and switch them left going to the right, when shutting down after killing engine start at the right and switch them left.  Pretty good imitation of the switches and procedure without the cost.

With all that said, I see a lot of NH machines here and they are far from my favorite.......even the little 125 has a stupid brain box on it!

I just jumped through the wires for the belt sensor.  Brain needs to see a cycle of belt so I would turn off, belt unhooked, turn on bilt hooked.  Didn't run any power to the one I did but different issue than the one You fixed.

I'm not a fan of bypassing stuff. Just a couple weeks ago a kid caught his leg between the ski loader bucket and the tire. He went to climb up in and slipped, he grabbed the lever and it sucked his leg right down between it. I know for a fact he had the seat belt bypassed, so it's not going to happen. I'll gladly spend the money on safety switches, it's simply not worth getting hurt. All of your safety switches work.

Yep, a week or so ago someone up North was loading a wood funace and got pinched between bucket and cage standing up pushing wood off with pedal lock outs bypassed.  One slip makes you dead.  Switches look pretty cheap compared to that.

6 minutes ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

. I'll gladly spend the money on safety switches, it's simply not worth getting hurt. All of your safety switches work.

X2 dangerous enough with working safeties.....safety is a pain till you realize that it gets you home every day....

Myself, I think its easier to buy a brand without that junk, but that is my opinion...................I got a lap bar, and a park lock switch on mine.  Simple and works all the time every time.  

I have a service manual on pdf for an LS170, but have no idea how to get it to you. Glad to help out if I could.

3 hours ago, red211 said:

Yep, a week or so ago someone up North was loading a wood funace and got pinched between bucket and cage standing up pushing wood off with pedal lock outs bypassed.  One slip makes you dead.  Switches look pretty cheap compared to that.

If we're talking the same accident he was a friend of my family. I posted a safety reminder on here about it. The funeral was Thursday morning.

Nope not the same fella. That is a bad deal too. He lived, just has a bad leg now.

3 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

If we're talking the same accident he was a friend of my family. I posted a safety reminder on here about it. The funeral was Thursday morning.

It certainly sounds like the same incident.

We ALL need to slow down just a touch and make sure that we are going to be able to go home alive with all of the body parts intact and functioning that we woke up with.

It was the one I posted about, Minnesota Farmall had posted earlier about someone else that reminded Me of Your friend.

I finally found the culprit guys. It was a bad connection in the fuse box behind the firewall. No need to buy a new computer or do any major wiring. It would light up my test lamp, but it wouldn't hold a light bulb. Problem solved!

Nice find!!!!  Always like to fix the tough ones, and for free.