Sign in to follow this  
Missouri Mule

756 final drive/trans housing

I have been working on my brakes and drained the final drive axle housing to notice mine is seperated from the trans housing. It reminded me they didn't always have the hole between the two areas. Mine is 11622 which should be a 68 model. I remember reading once here they started drilling the hole in the summer of 69 and if it was done before that it was a service update done by mechanic. Is this right? I guess I'm asking and also bringing it up for people that don't know. I'm used to my 66 series so now that I know I will take extra caution in my final drives to make sure it gets changed/checked. 

you can remove the soft plugs so that it is like the later style, just have to remove the third link cover and work through there. i did this to my 706, its not real easy but can be done 

Iirc from earlier discusions oil will work its way thru bearings into final drives if you forget to refill em? Wouldnt wanna go out an work it right away i suppose? And would need to top off oil level again.

The early 7 & 806 tractors would leak a lot of oil from main case into the axle housings.  This was most prevalent when running the right wheel in the furrow while moldboard plowing.  The axle would start leaking  if it got full enough.  I have drained a bucket full out of many of them when they only hold 6 quarts.   

Then factory started putting a o-ring on the differential retainer and I think, put the seal between brake shaft and differential(not sure of that).  Still had separate housings though.  Some where in the 56 series is when they opened up the two housings with a hole and leaving the plug out of the end of the axle.  We just took the plug out when working on them.   Problem is, very seldom had to work on a rear of a 706 and very few 806 . 

Sooo, it is unlikely you would get much oil into the axle housing on tractors with 0 ring and seal.    Would take a real long time so fill them up and  check occasionally or knock out axle end plug.