766redpower

How far would you drive a tractor home

Hey guys just looking for some input , just bought a magnum tractor it’s 50 miles away should I get a truck It home or should I risk driving it your thoughts?

A Magnum?!!!:lol:   Heck, Ive driven a Farmall H 30 miles on a chilly day without a jacket!  Drive it!:D

Drive it.  I put more road miles on my Magnum in a couple of days driving back and forth to my other farm 7 miles away.  30 years ago I drove an IH 93 combine home 120 miles at 10 miles an hour.  It took 2 days.  Had to quit on the first day as my sag wagon driver got tired of driving a pickup that slow.  All that just to junk it out for the engine.

9 minutes ago, 766redpower said:

Hey guys just looking for some input , just bought a magnum tractor it’s 50 miles away should I get a truck It home or should I risk driving it your thoughts?

50 miles is nothing.  Drive it.  

I would drive it, i drove a combine home 120 miles took 9 hours but they wanted 900 dollars to haul it home. Mid february i didn't have much else going on.

My older brother drove a 666 220 miles to a new residence

Drive it! I was debating about driving my combine this summer 70 miles! Mainly because i didnt know the combine and if a problem be a real pain! Tractor wouldn't be so bad to get off the road or trucked in a emergency! Everybody i knew said i was nuts everybody on here said drive it! Saved me $900 took 5.5 hours! Id drive one alot futher now! 

I drove my combine 250 miles home...

I was bored one long day of spreading fertilizer and figured that with a 35' field cultivator on a square 160 acre field a tractor and cultivator will put on 35 miles.... Even more with narrower equipment.

I was planning on driving it, just didn’t want to be an idiot so thanks for reassuring me!

I'l drive it for half trucking fee. By the time u get up with driver, meet him, chain up,drive back, unload. You could have it home and have eat lunch. 

Done it several times , early sunday mornings are great.very little cars.

drive it, should only take 2-3 hours. if it was something wide i'd think about having it trucked but you should be able to cruise along nearly worry free with a tractor.

2 hours ago, 766redpower said:

Drove mine 165 miles home. We road it with sprayer 45 or more miles between farthest points of farm with sprayer the last three years. 2 hours 15 minutes you will cover 50 miles.  I put fuel in our magnum at 10:30 in the morning at their river falls mn droveit home stopped about 2\3 way home at mcdonalds and it took over an hour was home  by 9pm.  

My vote is drive it as well. Put 75 miles on a few of my older ones on a local tractor ride. Drove them up to the starting place. Went on the ride and drove home. Figured close to 75 miles all day. None of the stuff we took would be near as comfortable as a Magnum. Check the oil considering its new to you and hit the road. Have fun!

Neighbor kid drove a combine from central Indiana to here in southern ky. Took about 20 hours

I drove our 464 mower tractor home from a jobsite about 30 miles.  For most of the trip I was followed by a pickup with the flashers on.  I tried to keep it at 20 MPH, the 464 will top out at about 22-25 MPG, either speed is way to fast for me. At that speed the hydrastatic steering wanders!

I took the bicycle route recommended in google maps for the area.  Back country roads.  I was concerned because TEXANS drive very aggressively on the back roads.

No issues at all. It was broad daylight with little traffic, did not have to pull off because I was holding up traffic. 

I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO MOVE A SLOW MACHINE ON A TRAVELED ROAD AFTER SUNDOWN.

1 minute ago, oleman said:

I drove our 464 mower tractor home from a jobsite about 30 miles.  For most of the trip I was followed by a pickup with the flashers on.  I tried to keep it at 20 MPH, the 464 will top out at about 22-25 MPG, either speed is way to fast for me. At that speed the hydrastatic steering wanders!

I took the bicycle route recommended in google maps for the area.  Back country roads.  I was concerned because TEXANS drive very aggressively on the back roads.

No issues at all. It was broad daylight with little traffic, did not have to pull off because I was holding up traffic. 

I WOULD NEVER ATTEMPT TO MOVE A SLOW MACHINE ON A TRAVELED ROAD AFTER SUNDOWN.

Now you are taking all the fun out of it. .

Drive it !! I too have driven farm equipment 60+miles! Drove an Oliver Super 99 GM with an earthmover  right thru the middle of Bloomington and Normal during rush hour, no less, and the 99 did NOT have muffler either! LOL!!! tach was right on 1825 revs the whole time!!!! ---Total trip was 35 miles at 13 mph!! (wide open and never looked back!!) thanks; sonny

We drove a 5288 somewhere between 100-150 home from a sale last year. Went on into dark hours so we stopped at a farm supply store and bought 2 magnetic strobes to replace the flashers (relay got hot and they quit) and went with it. Had a truck following with hazards on also. 10hr trip

Did almost 50 miles on a local tractor drive once. 

50 miles is nothing for sure. I have driven the 1680 90 miles one way in the fall on custom jobs. Our farm used to be 45 miles from one end to the other. I always enjoyed those road rides.

Depends on how bad you want it.  I'd drive a SMTA-D across the damn country twice if I could obtain one (for a reasonable fee.)  

Drive it. Walk into a fast food joint instead of trying to clear the roof of the drive thru though

1 hour ago, drglinski said:

Depends on how bad you want it.  I'd drive a SMTA-D across the damn country twice if I could obtain one (for a reasonable fee.)  

Thiers a tractor that slid out from under my nose i wish i had! i didnt know what it was till i went to haul it for a guy! Amish guy had a MD so i was told! he had it all tore apart in his barn between my dad and another guy they hauled the amish guys manure! He owed the the other guy money so he gave him the MD guy called wanted it hauled went back it was a super md ta! O well wish i woulda got my hands on it first!