Sign in to follow this  
Jesse in WI

Farmall 656 Ignition kit

The ignition on my 656 needs to be rebuilt as the rotor and cap are getting wore down.  I've also had the experience about once or twice a summer I'll be using the tractor in normal fashion and the tractor will just shut down like someone turned the switch off.  It's happened to me with the tractor sitting at idle and its happened when I'm going across the field raking hay.  I check for spark and I've got nothing.  I found that if I leave it sit for approximately the time it takes to go get another tractor, it'll fire back up and run fine the rest of the day.  I theorize that the coil is going bad or overheating and that's why I'm losing my spark.

Anyway my question is this: is there a complete ignition kit (cap, rotor, plug wires, coil, etc.) on the market that is of decent quality?

Thanks

Jesse

I just converted a 1550 oliver (gas) to electronic ignition, night and day improvement. Didn't change wires, plugs, or coil. Needed the tractor on snowblower, runs like a champ now. 

Using it every day, you can't go wrong with a Petronix or similar electronic swap.

I find new coils are very poorly made... they are not expensive but they seem to be of very poor quality 🙁. When I converted to electronic ignition I bought a more expensive high performance coil , and that one has been great. However, on other tractors I have put a new stock type coil and had the exact same issue you are experiencing. I switched back to an old coil from another tractor and my issue went away.

what all is entailed in upgrading to electronic ignition?  I've heard it talked about plenty on here but never really looked into it.

Jesse

It's quite easy... remove the points and install the unit. 2 wires to hook up... google petronix and Farmall... quite a few videos walking you through the process. 

2 hours ago, Jesse in WI said:

what all is entailed in upgrading to electronic ignition?  I've heard it talked about plenty on here but never really looked into it.

Jesse

I called Brillman Corp and got plugs, wires, rotor and cap, pertronics, and a 60,000 volt coil and I think it ran about $185 per tractor. I wanted to do it all at once rather than little bit at a time