Grinder mixers bearcat, nh, etc

I would like to upgrade our grinder mixer. Have an owatonna now that does work, but I'd like to go to hyd drive instead of all these bevel gears and chains. Neighbor has a bearcat 950 for sale. Has 1 turn left on hammers, drive belts have a few holes in them from small rocks looks like, shedded, 1000 rpm. Anybody have one of these? It looks like after going thru hammers, feed is blown into the duster then falls to auger that goes to hopper. Does this ever plug? Can the hammers be disengaged so the loading auger can be used to fill mill with shelled corn? I feed out my lambs all summer and don't grind corn just mix shelled corn and pellets. The owatonna must be filled in the back because the loading auger only runs when hammers are running. Used to have a farmhand that would work using loading auger, but it wore out. Any one have suggestions on mixer mills? Scale would be nice too

The Gehl I have now is like that, blows the feed into the duster and then it goes to the tank............Personally think that design is a POS, but it works.  Out of all the Gehls and Arts-Ways I used, none of them hold a candle to a hydraulic drive NH................IMO they are the cadillac of feed mills.  I think in acouple years I might just grit my teeth and buy a brand new Lorenz, they looks pretty nice for the price, which IMO is really reasonable for a new mill.  You can't buy a junk one anymore here for under a $1000..................I paid $800 for my Gehl and I still felt like I got hosed.

TP.   As far as I know Lorenz doesn't make feed mills anymore unless they started again.   The price of new feed mills is crazy!

Nate

28 minutes ago, nate said:

TP.   As far as I know Lorenz doesn't make feed mills anymore unless they started again.   The price of new feed mills is crazy!

Nate

Yes they do and you can get into a basic mill in the  $20,000 range

They started again........$23,000 for normal length unload and scales.

Yes the mixermill market is unbelievable! Neighbor wants 1800 for the bearcat, think I'll pass. I have seen a few nh sell at auction and they bring way more than what I can justify spending. Guess I'll keep using owatonna until I find something different!

Who else makes new grinder mixers? I can't find them on case,new holland or even Deere websites. I know arts way does but anybody else

3 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Who else makes new grinder mixers? I can't find them on case,new holland or even Deere websites. I know arts way does but anybody else

As mentioned above, Lorenz is building them again and H&S is building what is basically a copy of the late model Gehls with some improvements.

2 hours ago, hillskinefarms said:

As mentioned above, Lorenz is building them again and H&S is building what is basically a copy of the late model Gehls with some improvements.

I suppose it could be hard to find Gehl parts.

5 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Is it easy to find parts for a Bearcat?

No parts are available for the Bear Cat mills. We have two 950’s in the shed and  a New Holland 355. Purchased the NH because it was getting hard to keep the Bear Cats running. All parts have to be fabricated locally. Someday I think we could put parts of the two mills together and make one work, but only for so long. I think the fan housing would be tough to get fabricated when that goes again.

I grew up with New Hollands, can't beat them, worth the extra money IMO. 

I would stay far away from the Bearcat. I would look for an IH 1350 or like model Artsway. New Holland is okay too, but I prefer the IH. We don't have a mixer currently, but really liked all our IH ones. All the neighbors had every other brand and complained a lot about all except the New Holland.

Doesn't Artsway make them for several brand names? If so who are they all.

48 minutes ago, George 2 said:

Doesn't Artsway make them for several brand names? If so who are they all.

IH and Massey Ferguson that I know of.

Grew up around a MF 15, about 10-12 years ago we bought a newer used Gehl MX125.  I much prefer the hydraulic unloader on the Gehl.   When you need to work on something it's much harder to get to stuff on the Gehl, though there are fewer chains and shafts on the Gehl.  Our two mills didn't have drag feeders which has always been a drawback--over the years we have done some pretty creative things to get corn into the mill!  Over Christmas I helped my dad out a little and got to use a well worn Artsway 425 with a drag feeder he has borrowed from a friend to accommodate a new bin unloader he got.  I think it would equate to an IH 1050.  There are a bunch of chains and a belt to run the drag feeder and then it still has that mechanical unload auger.  The supplement fill is in the wrong place to pull under an auger unless you swing the unload auger out.

Parts are getting spotty on the Gehl but if the Artsway isn't hydraulic I would prefer the Gehl.  Does H&S offer any parts support on the older Gehls?

Al

5 hours ago, Super A said:

Does H&S offer any parts support on the older Gehls

I was told by someone at the company, No. Although they look very similar at first glance, H&S made a lot of subtle changes.

I at first thought the H&S was a copy of the Gehl so when I needed a bearing for my Gehl 125 I called H&S thinking parts would interchange but was told that was not the case.

I just assumed H&S bought the blueprints from Gehl when they stopped building ag equipment but the guy I talked to said Gehl would not sell the prints or right to build the machines so H&S bought a Gehl mixer and reverse-engineered it, making improvements along the way.

Not sure if this is correct or not but this is what I was told from someone at the company. 

What did they change on them?  I never looked at one real close since I assumed it was the same as a Gehl, guess I will have to now.  

Why did NH quit building them anyhow?  Never did understand that.

I suppose New Holland quit building them because there was little demand for them any more like with sicklebar mowers. You know, CAFOs aren't going to use them.

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

I suppose New Holland quit building them because there was little demand for them any more like with sicklebar mowers. You know, CAFOs aren't going to use them.

Alot of guys around me would like new ones, they just don't like the $45k price of an arts-way..................I should become a Lorenz dealer, I think I could sell quite a few at around $20k.

16 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Alot of guys around me would like new ones, they just don't like the $45k price of an arts-way..................I should become a Lorenz dealer, I think I could sell quite a few at around $20k.

hillskinefarms, that's good to know.  I just assumed Gehl sold the blueprints/rights to it.  My dad spent a bunch of money on the MX125 last summer, and we were able to get everything we needed, mostly bearings and a couple sprokets.  He got a guy to work on it which I was thankful for---it's worse than a JD 6600 combine, and a MF combine combined to work on!  Mixer has a lot of hours on it (hammers turned twice before we got it) but it's in good shape.  We have had a couple frame cracking issues with it but they've been caught in time.....

I will have to see if my dad remembers what he paid for his MF 15.  He bought it new from the local Massey Dealer in around 1979-80ish.  I was in kindergarten-first grade, somewhere in there.  It's new enough it has the square block MF decal on it instead of the triangle MF.  I recall they were going to deliver it but when I went with him on a Saturday morning to finalize the paperwork, I fussed enough that he ended up pulling it home.....the dealer always made a big deal over me and I don't think he minded....

We started out running the 15 with the 424 gas.  It was getting a little tired by then so after a couple years he put it behind the 2940 and from there it stayed.  The 424 would run it ok, (years later the 2940 was down and I ground a few loads with the 424, it was fun to hear it talk) but the 2940 just played with it.  Two and a half tons of feed in it won't jerk the 2940 around like the 424 would.

Daddy has said many times that the MF 15 and his JD 2940 made him more money than any equipment he has ever owned.  Seriously, if I had a dollar for every load of feed I have ever ground with it, I could retire.

I just can't wrap my head around a $40,000 grinder mixer.

Here's the 2940 grinding with the Arts-Way. a few weeks ago.  I am convinced that IH secretly built the 2940.  It has been an awesome tractor for us, it's got around 8500 hours now and motor has never been opened up.

25550574_1657411834282147_7923833332125961004_n.jpg

The 359 in that JD is a great engine IMO.........I am looking for a late 4050 with the 359, but I want a 4 post with power shift, that is about an impossible combo to find.

Dad had a couple Bearcats. They were good mills, but even 30 years ago, parts were hard to find. I had a JD750 that was a heck of a mill. I bought it used and it cost me nothing in repairs. If you can find one, they are fairly cheap, but I hear that parts for them are discontinued also. It almost sound like you need an operational mill, and a parts mill.    I was at a sale a couple years ago that had a Brady that looked like it had very little use and had good care. I think it brought salvage price. I remember people talking years ago that a Brady was a good machine, but can't remember why they were unique. Didn't they feed on top of the hammers instead of under them. Supposed to take less power. I can't remember.   Not many mixers left in this part of the country. None for hogs, and the ones that are left are used for a few loads of feed for the calves in the fall.

A bit off topic, but does anyone know why Bearcat (Western Land Roller) went out of business? Their hammer mills were some of the stoutest in the business.