Sign in to follow this  
vtfireman85

The new “white truck “

Recommended Posts

So the new white truck doesn’t know it yet but it’s about to get a dump body. It’s a 90’ 3208 cat, Allison 643 trans and has 31k on the clock with 600 hrs on the pump.

5E1B68DF-82F5-4544-84B3-07CC3A064919.jpeg

BEBBE455-7098-40FD-A681-4BBA6869811E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The PTO on my Allison is a non-clutching type - you have to shut the engine down to engage it. I imagine a firetruck would have spent the extra dough to have a clutching unit. 'that so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, New Englander said:

The PTO on my Allison is a non-clutching type - you have to shut the engine down to engage it. I imagine a firetruck would have spent the extra dough to have a clutching unit. 'that so?

No PTO on this unit, so to speak, it's got essentially an inline divorced t-case put it in neutral, engage pump, and put in drive, it re directs output  power to the top of the case to run the pump. No good for a dump truck, I've found an engine driven pump I'm planing to use. The fire body I'll probably try to sell locally, I don't imagine it'll be a big ticket item but maybe we can recoup some funds , a bigger time sugar maker might want it, it's a 1200 gallon truck I believe. And the tank is poly. In fact we may even put it on the old chassis, it's got some life left in it, and a real nice fresh 427, .30 over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

 I've found an engine driven pump I'm planing to use.

Belt driven electric clutch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first dump truck was an 80 model brigadier single axle with 3208,5/2.  Got it in 98, It was a double frame truck which I had never seen on a single axle.  It came from Pa as a state truck so guess they spec it that way to drive around with bed up for salt spreading.   First week I just knew it was blowing up, one noisy engine.  I did drop pan and spin some bearings in it but the old ones looked ok.  It blew both head gskts at different times but not a bad job.  When things slowed down in 08 I parked it, thing sat in the weeds for maybe five years, almost started without a jump.  Some cables and a whiff of boom spray and she lit off and ran like it was used the day before.   Same fuel that was in it when parked.  Rough old truck but never let Me down.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, New Englander said:

Belt driven electric clutch?

Yes, northern has one for 600, I’m thinking something like that. 

 

1 hour ago, red211 said:

My first dump truck was an 80 model brigadier single axle with 3208,5/2.  Got it in 98, It was a double frame truck which I had never seen on a single axle.  It came from Pa as a state truck so guess they spec it that way to drive around with bed up for salt spreading.   First week I just knew it was blowing up, one noisy engine.  I did drop pan and spin some bearings in it but the old ones looked ok.  It blew both head gskts at different times but not a bad job.  When things slowed down in 08 I parked it, thing sat in the weeds for maybe five years, almost started without a jump.  Some cables and a whiff of boom spray and she lit off and ran like it was used the day before.   Same fuel that was in it when parked.  Rough old truck but never let Me down.   

The one it’s replacing is double frame from PA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

Yes, northern has one for 600, I’m thinking something like that. 

 

The one it’s replacing is double frame from PA

Must be a state thing, tri axle dumps are double framed but not singles normally.   Heck half the single axle dumps around here are converted road tractors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this