Sign in to follow this  
dale560

Who had the first ivt ( hydro mechanical) trans

Stopped by my buddy the other day to fix his 4455 JD. He has run jds with ivt and just bought a 7520 used ivt. We were talking and I thought IH had come out with them testing and he said a guy told him mm, white Oliver had one out testing in the late 60s. Online you can find info about the white 2200 but it seems they were just hydro not cvt. There are differing opinions if ivt was fitted to tractor or if just shipped to factory  from white engineering in California and not used. I know if you look through here ihc was testing in the 60s and had almost perfected it by 84. Just wondering who had the first versions maybe someone else? 

48 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Stopped by my buddy the other day to fix his 4455 JD. He has run jds with ivt and just bought a 7520 used ivt. We were talking and I thought IH had come out with them testing and he said a guy told him mm, white Oliver had one out testing in the late 60s. Online you can find info about the white 2200 but it seems they were just hydro not cvt. There are differing opinions if ivt was fitted to tractor or if just shipped to factory  from white engineering in California and not used. I know if you look through here ihc was testing in the 60s and had almost perfected it by 84. Just wondering who had the first versions maybe someone else? 

I thought Fendt had the first successful one on the market with Vario.  From what I hear the Fendt version sets the bar and everyone else's are just wannabes.  I've heard too Oliver/White was working one on the 60s along with IH.  JD had one too in the late 60s called the MIV.  Design was totally different from the CVT/IVT but operationally was the same.  They almost put it on the market. 

8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I thought Fendt had the first successful one on the market with Vario.  From what I hear the Fendt version sets the bar and everyone else's are just wannabes.  I've heard too Oliver/White was working one on the 60s along with IH.  JD had one too in the late 60s called the MIV.  Design was totally different from the CVT/IVT but operationally was the same.  They almost put it on the market. 

Didn't Steyr have theirs out before Fendt?

Might need researching then.

There was this in a Hatz diesel engine ad in a 1985-ish Australian Power Farming annual.  The "1953 Worlds First Air Cooled Diesel" -  in spite of Armstrong Siddeley selling them from about 1931

5a5a8c5580025_HatzWorldFirsts.thumb.jpg.8c83634bfa925938796660ff77fb98cb.jpg

I would love to have reliable information that says ih had it before Deere 

dang green weeny guys anyway 

😆

I am reasonably sure it was either Steyr or Fendt. Definitely not North American although IH was experimenting with one in the early 1980's called the Vary Range transmission and was close to putting it into production. It lost out to the Power Shift.