leeave96

C263 Gas Questions

Been doing a fair amount of posting regarding my 756 gasser with the C291 and was reading about how the late models 706 had the same engine, however, prior to that, they had a C263 gasser.  What prompted the change mid stream by IH?  More hp?  Availability issues with the C263?  A market response to JD?

How would the C263 have compared to the later C291?  Were they reliable?  I’m thinking they were used on the 560 gassers?  I’ve read several posts around where folks recommend boring them and sleeving them up to the C291, just wondering if they were a dog?  What about the rebuild aspects of the C263 vs the C291?  Straight forward like any other gas engine or special interference/press fit sleeves like the C291?  Could you take a C291 out of a 756 and swap it into a C263 706 for a power upgrade?

Post 560 tractors, what other IH tractors used them other than the 706?

Just curious.

Thanks!

In the 60's my dad had his early 706 bored and m&w sleeves and pistons installed to make it a 291.  It dyno'd 94 horsepower....same as the 806.  Burned 6gph too.  263's, 291's and 301's are interchangeable as far as I know.  All very reliable when maintained, and low ash oil used.  I don't know if the m&w sleeves were interchangeable with the IH ones as the tractor got traded for a 1066 before it needed another overhaul.

656's have the 263 also decent engine in my opinion.

Replaced a C221 with a C301 and everything bolts up on that series of engines. 301 has waayyy more power and burns waayy more gas:D C301 heads have much bigger valves that 221; I'm not sure if the 263 or 291 got big valve head. C301 came from a combine so all of the tractor stuff had to be swapped and it all fits. 301 didn't come with manifolds or carb, used 221 manifolds and found bigger carburetor on Ebay, which is where I found engine.

I have 2-- 560's that have the 706 engine in them, (came from factory that way) and a 706 with 806 engine.--Was told that these were demonstrator tractors and not general production models.

I have no idea, but will say that you will be much better off with the biggest engine that  you can stuff in there!!! --GAS,----well who cares as long as the work is getting faster with the big motor!! --right? thanks; sonny

C263 had about 73 PTO HP in a 706. The C291 had 77 PTO HP in a 706. I had a 706 with the C291 and it liked it's fuel. It burned way more fuel than my 656 with the 263 motor. But it put out lots of power and could pull 4 by 16 inch plow in clay soil easily.  

2 hours ago, dumbfarmer said:

What did the 766 gassers have?