Sign in to follow this  
756puller

Pickup flatbed

Just curious if it would work to put a long box flatbed on a short box pickup frame?

Have to cut it down 2 feet.

Do you plan on towing anything with it?

No towing or goosneck maybe...but front would get real light real fast loaded behind the axle... Go for a wide dually bed if you want more room... A 96wx80l would gain you a ton of room....

Even a standard width will be better than a bed...

I do plan on pulling with the pickup yes. Was just curious seems to be lots of used long bed flatbeds out there for sale

Never seen that done. I'm sure it would be fine other than look odd as long as you didn't put much weight behind the axle. Goosenecks loaded down might be a bad idea also since the ball isn't over the axle. Had a neighbor put a dually flatbed on a f150. Only used it to feed with but looked like the biggest pile of junk around. he probably ran that pickup for 15 years like that and it didn't look like he had any spring left in the rear leafs. 

Not a good idea to put a flatbed longer than the frame rails on a pickup chassis.  Long overhanging loads can cause interesting driving situations.  I had short box reg cab F-150's for my first two trucks.  Dad and I loaded 12-15 full rough cut 1x12's SIXTEEN feet long in the '78 F-150 one day. I had a few inches shy of eight feet extending back from the rear edge of the dropped tailgate.  An old Farmall M cylinder head on the front of the boards kept them from tipping up and unloading themselves.  But there was about a FOOT more room between the top of the front tires and frt wheel wells in the frt fenders than normal. If I had taken off a bit too hard at any stop sign/stop light I would have unloaded my truck instantly!

17 minutes ago, 756puller said:

I do plan on pulling with the pickup yes. Was just curious seems to be lots of used long bed flatbeds out there for sale

I would shorten the flat bed or lengthen frame of truck then. Towing from the channel frame of flatbed with 2' unsupported is asking for trouble. 

3 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

I would shorten the flat bed or lengthen frame of truck then. Towing from the channel frame of flatbed with 2' unsupported is asking for trouble. 

X2

And i might add not just lengthen the frame but move the rear axle back as well if going that route.  Gooseneck hitch needs to be approx right over axle u joint yoke iirc. Wouldnt be a good idea to move it back to correspond with a longer bed.

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

X2

X3

Feed guy we used 20 years ago had a '78 F150 short bed, JCWhitney dually conversion (rear tires) and he put a 9 1/2' bed he had laying around. It was really easy to load it unsafely

On 1/12/2018 at 3:51 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Not a good idea to put a flatbed longer than the frame rails on a pickup chassis.  Long overhanging loads can cause interesting driving situations.  I had short box reg cab F-150's for my first two trucks.  Dad and I loaded 12-15 full rough cut 1x12's SIXTEEN feet long in the '78 F-150 one day. I had a few inches shy of eight feet extending back from the rear edge of the dropped tailgate.  An old Farmall M cylinder head on the front of the boards kept them from tipping up and unloading themselves.  But there was about a FOOT more room between the top of the front tires and frt wheel wells in the frt fenders than normal. If I had taken off a bit too hard at any stop sign/stop light I would have unloaded my truck instantly!

sounds like a typical day at the lumberyard!  :lol:

5 hours ago, redneckchevy9 said:

sounds like a typical day at the lumberyard!  :lol:

I Bet!  Lumber yard over in Osco had a C-30 flatbed for delivery.  The bed was eight, maybe nine feet long. Was fun to watch him deliver a 16 ft long hog shade or shelter.  Difference was no sidewalls on a shade,  they were available with 4 ft and 5 ft tall sides. They weren't heavy, just looked odd with so much rear overhang.

Seems like they had a small bumper hitch trailer when they delivered modified A hog houses. They could get 4 on their ends on the truck, and six on the trailer.