JEAN COINTE FRANCE

A Lost IH "gun" in Italia

A friend of mine, son of a retired IH dealership seller , Hervé Teire has found an American gun in a Catane (Sicily) Museum - the Carriage has an IH plate, and i don't know the brand of the Gun

(Howitzer ?) Some forum members will certainly bring some precisions.

Bnkf6D.jpgg6mVCl.jpgw

Thanks  I enjoy all your posts

Looks like a 57mm high velocity anti tank gun. A howitzer would be of larger caliber,shorter barrel,low velocity. Howitzers were known for their HE or "high explosive" shell performance. Now howitzers can be 57mm but this particular gun with its longer barrel makes it a high velocity gun with a flatter trajectory. Great pics jean!

Upon some research the m2 seems to denote the carriage any particular caliber gun can be placed on. This one holds a 57mm but they are listed with 90mm guns on them as well.

Wow , ! I did not know they made that ,but why not during the war everybody made something. 

Sicily ,have to look to find it if I can go !

18 hours ago, R190 said:

Thanks  I enjoy all your posts

Merci !

17 hours ago, 660 driver said:

Looks like a 57mm high velocity anti tank gun. A howitzer would be of larger caliber,shorter barrel,low velocity. Howitzers were known for their HE or "high explosive" shell performance. Now howitzers can be 57mm but this particular gun with its longer barrel makes it a high velocity gun with a flatter trajectory. Great pics jean!

thanks ! 

IH built the gun carriage,  and an artillery tractor to tow larger guns as well.  

I smell a book about IHs military products. Lee Klancher? Bermuda  Ken?

Did I read somewhere that IH where a very prolific manufacturer of torpedoes?

I believe the Doncaster factory though built before the war did not produce it's first tractor until 1949 (?) due to producing War goods.

Anybody have any idea what was manufactured there?

Sorry for the diversion of the original post but these questions just came too my mind as I typed