Sign in to follow this  
Skagit Farmer

Questions for you D-2 experts

Just finishing up my Farmall F-12 project and am looking for the next project.  Have always wanted to have an old International pickup, and am giving some thought to purchasing a 1939 D-2 that's for sale locally.  This will be my first foray into one of these old trucks.  I'm not going for a perfect restoration, but I want to keep it as original as I can.  Just want to end up with a nice, driveable truck.  What were common problem areas I should look for when examining the truck?  What is the parts availability for this model and year?  Is there anything that is just impossible to find?  Thanks.

I have a d-35 but it was complete when I bought it. Southland IH in Canada has a bunch of reproduction stuff and others as well. Google Ih d series parts. From what I have heard the Stainless trim for the grill and hood are hard to find. Maybe gas tank. Good tailgate might be tough. A fair amount of K series parts will interchange. If it is fairly complete and reasonable I would jump on it. Parts are out there, you  just have to find them. Good Luck if you get it. www.oldihc. org is a good source of info.

Dennis

23 hours ago, Skagit Farmer said:

Just finishing up my Farmall F-12 project and am looking for the next project.  Have always wanted to have an old International pickup, and am giving some thought to purchasing a 1939 D-2 that's for sale locally.  This will be my first foray into one of these old trucks.  I'm not going for a perfect restoration, but I want to keep it as original as I can.  Just want to end up with a nice, driveable truck.  What were common problem areas I should look for when examining the truck?  What is the parts availability for this model and year?  Is there anything that is just impossible to find?  Thanks.

The only parts I have I have not found are a wind shield frame , a inside lh visor bracket , and the proper tailgate for my box style. I am the very proud owner of a 38 D-2 pm me if you like

I sold a nice windshield frame many years ago, the guy gave me 400 bucks for it!  I only paid 15 for the whole truck. I put in a painted one that had good glass. Also a 241 Dodge Red Ram, but that's another story.

R190 I have right and left brackets out of a kb5. they look the same as my d-35 brackets. I don't know if they will fit yours or not. I think all those are the same size from small trucks up to the big ones. PM me if you might be interested or know if they are same..

Dennis